Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1571224 times)

mmswm

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10575 on: January 26, 2013, 05:33:12 PM »
Shopping for swim suits!  I took my little sister swim suit shopping.  She's 11 and just starting to develop curves. She's also toothpick skinny.  The tops of girls' suits aren't lined, which makes things a bit too visible when she gets wet.  She's got a super long torso so one piece suits are a no-go.  My mother's got issues with "modesty" (if she could bring back bathing costumes from the 19th century, she would, but even some of those would be too "immodest" for her).   Most girls' tankini's are loose along the bottom edge of the top, so the get pushed up when she jumps feet first into the water.  My father is the world's biggest cheapskate.   I went to three different malls today shopping for a new swimsuit for the child.  I thought I was going to go bat-poop crazy before it was all over.  I never want to do that again!

On the positive side, we did actually find one that met all the criteria.  And the child thinks it's cute! I pretty much did the impossible with all that.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #10576 on: January 26, 2013, 05:50:33 PM »
I hope you live in Autstralia, because one growth spurt could mean you'd be stuck doing it again before actual swimsuit season.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

mmswm

« Reply #10577 on: January 26, 2013, 06:08:48 PM »
I hope you live in Autstralia, because one growth spurt could mean you'd be stuck doing it again before actual swimsuit season.

I live as far south as you can get and not leave the Florida Mainland.  It's about half an hour to the northern most of the Florida Keys.  It's always swimsuit season.  Actually, my sister, brother and one of my sons are all in the pool at this very moment. :)
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10578 on: January 26, 2013, 06:14:19 PM »
I know where you are! Never mind then... I just really hate swimsuit shopping. Glad you have more time  ;D

mmswm

« Reply #10579 on: January 26, 2013, 06:18:28 PM »
Actually, now that I think about it,  growth spurt might not be a bad thing.  If she gets an inch taller and develops actual curves instead of "the slightest hit of curve", she could fit into a Jr.'s size 0 or 1, which might make things easier. Of course, then there's the problem of finding something that's more modest than a string bikini...*sigh*

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10580 on: January 26, 2013, 06:33:57 PM »
I hate swimsuit shopping too. I don't like wearing two pieces unless they are tankini's, as I have been self conscious about my midriff since I was 13 and I've had 3 kids since then so I'm no more comfortable with baring it. 

But most one pieces I see in stores are either really loud prints or they look like something my grandmother would have worn.  Heck, I've just started wearing capris made of material that dries quickly and t-shirts. 

But congrats on succeeding in finding something that met all the criteria! :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #10581 on: January 26, 2013, 06:51:15 PM »
People who constantly complain about the weather bug me to no end.

We were vacationing in Texas and it was at least warmer than here even if it was gloomy. So we put  on appropriate jackets and happy faces to have once in a life-time tour. We were fine trying to enjoy the precious moments and all the other people on the tour did was complain. It wasn't ideal, but it was better than home and look where we were! Wow! (The Alamo! The Space Center! and lots of great stuff in between!)

Also, in July it is hot and muggy and generally icky. That's the way it has been for centuries here. Expect it and just keep quiet and maybe we can get our minds on other things. In January, expect cold and maybe snow. Take precautions and live life. Or at least hush up and let me deal and enjoy my life.

Using the term "ridiculous" when talking about the weather is weird, too. No one is controlling it (except God, in my belief system), so how can it be ridiculous. Weird, unusual, extreme, unpleasant -- OK, but not ridiculous.

I guess I had better get used to this, but I think it may be too late, so up the wall I go.
Over Winter Break Loren Brett and I trooped around the Zoo, Herman Park, and the Museum District. We were dressed for the weather - had a blast. This one woman was complaining up one side and down the other. We were in the Primate area of the Zoo which is a 1 direction circle so we couldn't take a different path to get away from her.

Loren whispered - why didn't she check the weather before she came? Brett added or notice when she left?

They brought up the woman again when sis and I were making plans a couple weeks later - and pulled out of phones to check what the weather forecast was. "That lady at the zoo should have checked her app then she wouldn't have been complaining so loud."

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #10582 on: January 26, 2013, 07:06:39 PM »
DH's invisibility cloak. For whatever reason, the kids forget that he exists when they want something. DD just climbed down, off DH's lap, then came to me with her empty cup asking for juice. A couple weeks ago when I was sicker than a dog, trying to sleep was impossible. The kids were coming to me wanting everything from lunch, to crayons, to help tying DS's shoes. You'd think they could remember Daddy exists after the 15th time I sent them to him, but no.

Also, running errands with the kids. DS had errands too, so he had to come. But Dh asked me to take baby as well. What would have been an hour, maybe an hour and a half trip by myself, or a 2.5 hour trip with DS turned into a 4 hour extravaganza.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10583 on: January 26, 2013, 07:11:06 PM »
I feel for you.  My older two do that to me too. I think it's because they assume he'll say no. I've started telling them that if they ask me for something when dad's home and I'm either napping or in the shower or otherwise busy and he's available, they are getting an automatic "No".
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #10584 on: January 26, 2013, 08:27:26 PM »
My co-worker has a mouse that doesn't work very well, and she bangs it furiously against her desk at least a couple of times a day.   I really wish she'd request a new mouse.

(I'm tempted to request one on her behalf, actually.)

HA - mine does that too! drives me nuts.

Do I work with you two?  I have been thinking, "Who does this!" multiple times in the past couple of months.  Apparently it's quite common and I have been blessed until now.

This is why, after washing my hands, I will use an extra paper towel to open the door and hold it open with my hip while I throw that paper towel in the trash. If the trash isn't close, I'll find the nearest one outside the restroom.

In case of bathrooms with just the air dryers, I use a tissue. I heard those things can just blow more disgusting germs back onto your hands.

I just don't trust public surfaces to be clean at all, ever.

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10585 on: January 26, 2013, 11:15:27 PM »
I hate swimsuit shopping too. I don't like wearing two pieces unless they are tankini's, as I have been self conscious about my midriff since I was 13 and I've had 3 kids since then so I'm no more comfortable with baring it. 

But most one pieces I see in stores are either really loud prints or they look like something my grandmother would have worn.  Heck, I've just started wearing capris made of material that dries quickly and t-shirts. 

I have a long torso and I'm... chesty. My mom lost the one piece battle once she saw that about three of the four letters of the alphabet were exposed when I was trying on swimsuits.  :P

I like bikinis just fine, but they have to have decent support. After one incident where a rogue wave left me and my top separated, I insist on sturdy straps.

mmswm

« Reply #10586 on: January 27, 2013, 12:06:29 AM »

I have a long torso and I'm... chesty. My mom lost the one piece battle once she saw that about three of the four letters of the alphabet were exposed when I was trying on swimsuits.  :P

I like bikinis just fine, but they have to have decent support. After one incident where a rogue wave left me and my top separated, I insist on sturdy straps.

There's a swimsuit shop called Swim N Sport.  They make tops up to an E cup.  Expect to pay at least $100 for both a top and a bottom, but they're well made and fit fabulously.  They even had a "string" top with the little triangles that had just a hint of underwire and instead of a normal tie at the neck, the string criss-crosses across the back, but I can actually run in the thing and not fall out. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to spend that much right now, but they have a great selection of D, DD, and E tops.

http://www.swimnsport.com/d-dd-e-cup/7394/dept

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10587 on: January 27, 2013, 02:03:19 AM »
And I just found my new swim suit!

Thank you!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10588 on: January 27, 2013, 07:09:38 AM »
I do not swim.  Full stop.  I tried learning several times and couldn't.  The idea doesn't even interest me.  However, that doesn't stop some people from insisting that this is weird.
'
Same thing about driving, something I don't need to do in a city where most people can take the subway to work and nobody can find a regular parking space.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #10589 on: January 27, 2013, 07:20:03 AM »
I do not swim.  Full stop.  I tried learning several times and couldn't.  The idea doesn't even interest me.  However, that doesn't stop some people from insisting that this is weird.

I am exactly the same.