Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1569983 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10590 on: January 27, 2013, 07:34:47 AM »
I want to learn to swim, but I have body issues (hoo boy, do I have body issues), so I do not swim.

I WILL learn to drive.  But this cast is coming off first.  Three days until they remove, x-ray, and put the final cast on!

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10591 on: January 27, 2013, 08:30:14 AM »
I have a long torso and I'm... chesty. My mom lost the one piece battle once she saw that about three of the four letters of the alphabet were exposed when I was trying on swimsuits.  :P

I have the same combination of fit issues. The fashion mags are always giving advice like "Busty? Just buy one of the suits for long torsos!  :) :) :) :)" and I headdesk because they don't even realize there are people with both! And I don't like to wear bikinis because I'm not terribly in shape and because I burn easily and I'd just as soon not suddenly start baring an expanse of skin that hasn't seen the sun since the Bush administration. The Bush Sr. administration, that is. Tankinis saved my life, especially the kind where you can buy the top in one size and the bottom in another.

mmswm

« Reply #10592 on: January 27, 2013, 09:28:55 AM »
And I just found my new swim suit!

Thank you!

You're very welcome. :)
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

magicdomino

« Reply #10593 on: January 27, 2013, 02:08:25 PM »
I do not swim.  Full stop.  I tried learning several times and couldn't.  The idea doesn't even interest me.  However, that doesn't stop some people from insisting that this is weird.

I am exactly the same.

Another "weird-do."  I hate getting wet.  I don't even like to soak in the bathtub, although I will take a shower for hygienic purposes.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10594 on: January 27, 2013, 02:18:21 PM »
I have a long torso and I'm... chesty. My mom lost the one piece battle once she saw that about three of the four letters of the alphabet were exposed when I was trying on swimsuits.  :P

I have the same combination of fit issues. The fashion mags are always giving advice like "Busty? Just buy one of the suits for long torsos!  :) :) :) :)" and I headdesk because they don't even realize there are people with both! And I don't like to wear bikinis because I'm not terribly in shape and because I burn easily and I'd just as soon not suddenly start baring an expanse of skin that hasn't seen the sun since the Bush administration. The Bush Sr. administration, that is. Tankinis saved my life, especially the kind where you can buy the top in one size and the bottom in another.

LOL! That made me laugh, because while my midriff has seen the light of day since then, you wouldn't know it to look at it.  That's the other part of the reason I just don't do midriff-baring bathing pieces, I'm just so sick and tired of hearing people say "Boy are you WHITE!"

I really had to laugh when DH and I were living in California and in 2003 came back east to go on a family trip in Maine to a place where my dad and his siblings and cousins often vacationed as children.  Well dad's cousin saw me in a bathing suit and said "Wow you have got to be the palest Califonian I've evah seen!" (Boston accent)  Mind you this was the side of my family that is 100% Irish American.  So no one is actually able to tan, there's nothing lower than 40SPF to be found and we burn and then freckle.  I looked at him, laughed and said, "I'm a Maidenname, whaddya expect?"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mmswm

« Reply #10595 on: January 27, 2013, 02:20:06 PM »
Having grown up in Miami, where learning how to swim is more important than learning how to walk, it still boggles my imagination that there are people who don't know how.  I don't say that to insult anybody, because intellectually I know that there are many, many places around the world that don't have water around every corner and a swimming pool in every other back yard, but my brain still boggles when I encounter that reality.

Now, not liking to swim, that's a whole 'nother story.  I can totally understand that.  I prefer to stay on the shore more often than not.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10596 on: January 27, 2013, 02:34:28 PM »
The funny thing is, as a kid I loved the pool and the ocean made me nervous, but as an adult, I don't enjoy going in the pool anymore yet absolutely love going in the ocean. 

I'm not a great swimmer, will never win any awards but it gets me around in deep water at least. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #10597 on: January 27, 2013, 02:40:54 PM »
Having grown up in Miami, where learning how to swim is more important than learning how to walk, it still boggles my imagination that there are people who don't know how.

I know how, theoretically.  It's just that I sink like a stone and can't get up again, then I panic and it all goes wrong.  Water more than 3ft deep terrifies me.

mmswm

« Reply #10598 on: January 27, 2013, 02:46:58 PM »
Having grown up in Miami, where learning how to swim is more important than learning how to walk, it still boggles my imagination that there are people who don't know how.

I know how, theoretically.  It's just that I sink like a stone and can't get up again, then I panic and it all goes wrong.  Water more than 3ft deep terrifies me.

Oh, I know, theoretically, that there are lots of perfectly normal people out there that can't swim, and for a wide variety of reasons.  It's just that around here, learning to swim is non-negotiable.  The nearest beach is 15 minutes away.  The Florida Keys are a half hour drive.  Miami Beach is anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half (or longer) depending on traffic.  There's a largish canal a few blocks from here, and the western border of the Everglades is a few blocks beyond that.  There's a pool in the back yard.  When I had my own home, I had a pool as well, as did half of my neighbors.  It's simply irresponsible to not teach your kids how to swim, or at least be able to manage well enough to not drown, with that much water around. I simply forget that most of the rest of the world doesn't have that much water around, and many of the places that do, it freezes for part of the year, so it takes me a few seconds to unboggle my brain.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #10599 on: January 27, 2013, 02:47:29 PM »
I will tell ya somethin weird. A PP mentioned body issues. I have about 4,415,783. Until I am near water. I suddenly forget how hideous I look in my bathing suit and jump right in.  ;D

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10600 on: January 27, 2013, 02:54:38 PM »
Cans of broth that don't match amounts called for in recipies. Case in point. Today I'm making chickpea soup. it calls for 4 cups of veggie broth. which is sold in 14.5 ounce cans. so you need 2 plus a teeny bit of a third. and as i don't use it much, i usually stick it in the freezer and forget about it. so today i just made up the small difference with water.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10601 on: January 27, 2013, 03:01:12 PM »
I found a recipe for homemade Irish cream that calls for 4oz of sweetened condensed milk.  It comes in about 14 oz cans. Um, what am I to do with the rest?  ::)

mmswm

« Reply #10602 on: January 27, 2013, 03:13:27 PM »
I found a recipe for homemade Irish cream that calls for 4oz of sweetened condensed milk.  It comes in about 14 oz cans. Um, what am I to do with the rest?  ::)

Super easy fudge recipe.  Get a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips and put in a double boiler (or a pan but make sure it's on really, really low and watch it carefully).  Pour the rest of the sweetened condensed milk over the chocolate chips.  Stir continuously until it's melted.  Pour into a glass pan and let harden.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #10603 on: January 27, 2013, 03:17:28 PM »

Didn't it used to come in smaller cans???  I could've sworn you could buy it in a 4 oz can.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10604 on: January 27, 2013, 03:22:13 PM »

Super easy fudge recipe.  Get a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips and put in a double boiler (or a pan but make sure it's on really, really low and watch it carefully).  Pour the rest of the sweetened condensed milk over the chocolate chips.  Stir continuously until it's melted.  Pour into a glass pan and let harden.

Ooh thanks! :) I once tried making fudge another way in the long distant past (well about a decade ago, my older two were toddlers) and it turned out the consistancy of hot fudge.