Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1299960 times)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10695 on: February 05, 2013, 07:11:23 AM »
People who inadvertently ruin something for you.  My DH does this all the time, and it drives me CRAZY!  I'll be watching an old episode of Mythbusters, or NCIS, or Forensic Files (possibly one I've seen before but don't remember all of), and he'll look over my shoulder at the screen and say, "Oh yeah, remember that one?  They do X/it turns out to be so-and-so/he's the one!  That was a great episode".  Even if I'm watching an old episode I've seen before, that doesn't mean I want someone interrupting the story arc! 

Also, people who think that calling me forty-seven times is an acceptable thing to do.  Last Friday, someone called me four times between 8 am and 11 am.  I check my voicemail at work often (3-4 times per day) but I don't check it every hour on the hour!  Every voicemail said it was extremely urgent too.  When I called that person back, and asked what was so very urgent, he was all, "Oh, uh, I just wanted to remind you I had my doctor's appointment today, and, uh, I'll call you afterwards to let you know how it went".   >:(  Seriously?  You called, left me multiple voicemails intimating it was a matter of life or death, and it was all just to tell me you'll call me later?

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10696 on: February 05, 2013, 08:07:18 AM »
People who inadvertently ruin something for you.  My DH does this all the time, and it drives me CRAZY!  I'll be watching an old episode of Mythbusters, or NCIS, or Forensic Files (possibly one I've seen before but don't remember all of), and he'll look over my shoulder at the screen and say, "Oh yeah, remember that one?  They do X/it turns out to be so-and-so/he's the one!  That was a great episode".  Even if I'm watching an old episode I've seen before, that doesn't mean I want someone interrupting the story arc! 

My husband does that! He's seen every episode of L&O SVU at least twice so when we're flipping channels he'll pause and say "I think this is the one where the boyfriend did it. Do you want to watch it?" Well not now, butthead!  Several times I've been reading a book after he's finished it and he'll say "Have you got to the part where Major Plot Twist?" Um no, I had not, THANKS! Now anytime he finds me watching or reading and starts with "Oh, have..." I cut him off with "Shut it!"

Betelnut

« Reply #10697 on: February 05, 2013, 08:35:30 AM »
People who just park anywhere.  Got into work today and someone on a construction crew (working on the library's parking lot) was parked IN the entry road to the library (to the side).  No, that's not a parking space!  That's the road/driveway to the parking lot of the library!  (Granted, the library isn't open yet but that's still a driveway/road!)

Also, as I drive up to park, I see an employee of the library parked in a handicapped parking space, unloading some big wheeled cases and going up to the door of the library to go in.  No handicapped sticker on his SUV.

I jokingly say, "I hope you don't get a ticket!" (thinking to myself, "You deserve one.") 
Him: "Oh, I'm just parking here for a second to unload..."
Me:  "You still aren't supposed to park there."
Him: "It's just for a second."
Me:  "Well, I hope you don't get a ticket."
Him:  <laughs uncomfortably>

Granted, again, the library isn't open yet but I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to park in a handicapped space at any time without a sticker/legal right.  There is a walking trail next to the library--what if someone with a sticker wanted to use it?  What if someone with a sticker wanted to use the book drop?

I work in the regional library that shares the building with the public library so I don't work with this person.  I'm seriously thinking of letting someone know in his organization that he did this.

Rrrrrrrr...
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10698 on: February 05, 2013, 10:22:37 AM »
When my boss doesnít read anything I send him. I did something today, which he asked me to expand upon. So I did. But then he kept asking me questions, which, if he had read my initial email, he would have known the answer to. He also sends me cryptic emails; like the other one today. I didnít know if he was telling me something was incorrect, or asking me to do something. I think he thinks I have the ability to read his mind!

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #10699 on: February 05, 2013, 10:50:50 AM »
When my boss doesnít read anything I send him. I did something today, which he asked me to expand upon. So I did. But then he kept asking me questions, which, if he had read my initial email, he would have known the answer to. He also sends me cryptic emails; like the other one today. I didnít know if he was telling me something was incorrect, or asking me to do something. I think he thinks I have the ability to read his mind!

Oh, I work with someone like that too.  I sometimes get this and only this in the body:

"LGA to ORD 2/14
ORD to LGA 2/15"

Oookayy.  Are these flights I'm suppose to book?  Price?  Check availability?  What times?  A little instruction goes a really long way.

There are also times when there's a super long email thread and all of a sudden, I'm copied on it.  Is this FYI?  Am I supposed to be taking action of some sort?  I sometimes feel like I have to grab them by the ankles and shake the information out of them!   :P

LibraryLady

« Reply #10700 on: February 05, 2013, 10:56:01 AM »
Siamese cat / 2littlemonkeys 

Our family is dealing with our mother who has Alzheimers and my older sister in the beginning, would send me cryptic emails about issues with
Mom (sis lives close and takes care of Mom) - Finally after the latest cryptic email, I called her and told her that I don't do cryptic very well,
and if she had anything to say, to write it out or call.  There was silence, then "OK" and a click.  Since then, it has stopped.  She tells us what the
problem is.

I know that may not work for bosses but maybe a variation of it might.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10701 on: February 05, 2013, 11:04:40 AM »
People who just park anywhere.  Got into work today and someone on a construction crew (working on the library's parking lot) was !)

Also, as I drive up to park, I see an employee of the library parked in a handicapped parking space, unloading some big wheeled cases and going up to the door of the library to go in.  No handicapped sticker on his SUV.

I jokingly say, "I hope you don't get a ticket!" (thinking to myself, "You deserve one.") 
Him: "Oh, I'm just parking here for a second to unload..."
Me:  "You still aren't supposed to park there."
Him: "It's just for a second."
Me:  "Well, I hope you don't get a ticket."
Him:  <laughs uncomfortably>

Granted, again, the library isn't open yet but I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to park in a handicapped space at any time without a sticker/legal right.  There is a walking trail next to the library--what if someone with a sticker wanted to use it?  What if someone with a sticker wanted to use the book drop?

Rrrrrrrr...

I am bothered that workers think they can park anywhere on roadways or blocking buildings at anytime, too.

But I see absolutely nothing wrong with parking in the handicapped space for a couple of minutes to unload when there is nothing else going on. I wouldn't even mind that during work hours if there are several other spots open and they leave right away. We have had to use handicap tags a few times, and it still didn't bother me.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10702 on: February 05, 2013, 11:06:17 AM »
I sometimes feel like I have to grab them by the ankles and shake the information out of them!   :P

Grabbing them by the ears is much more effective...

;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

mmswm

« Reply #10703 on: February 05, 2013, 11:13:13 AM »
Speaking of parking, I get really irritated when I see employees coming in to begin their shift parking in the closest spots. Now, all bets are off is said employee is displaying a handicap tag or is using crutches or other mobility devices, but for the normal, healthy employee to take up a "prime" spot really drives me up a wall. The ironic part is that unless I have my son (who has a handicap tag) with me, I park in whatever spot I find first, whether it's close or in the "back forty".  I think it's incredibly rude and selfish for an employee, who's going to be there for several hours at least, to monopolize a prime spot that should be left to their customers.

Back in the mid-90's I remember reading a study that said that each spot in the front row of parking was worth $900/day to the businesses the spot was in front of (either a single business or several stores splitting that amount between them), and the amount went down as the rows got farther away from the store/s. It makes sense.  Some people will chose not to shop if they have to hike from the back of the lot if they're not feeling well/lazy/weather's bad/etc.  Also, I've never worked anywhere that served the public where we weren't told to park in the back of the lot.

The exception to this, of course, is 24 hour stores and employees coming in for the graveyard shift, or coming in for a shift that will require them to leave in the middle of the night.  In that case I can understand them parking reasonably close, but I still think they should leave the first one or two spots open.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #10704 on: February 05, 2013, 11:45:52 AM »

Oh, I work with someone like that too.  I sometimes get this and only this in the body:

"LGA to ORD 2/14
ORD to LGA 2/15"

Oookayy.  Are these flights I'm suppose to book?  Price?  Check availability?  What times?  A little instruction goes a really long way.

There are also times when there's a super long email thread and all of a sudden, I'm copied on it.  Is this FYI?  Am I supposed to be taking action of some sort?  I sometimes feel like I have to grab them by the ankles and shake the information out of them!   :P

I think we all work for the same boss. Mine also has the extra fun quirk of thinking she asked me to do something when really she just thought about asking me, then getting annoyed that I didn't do it.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10705 on: February 05, 2013, 12:08:08 PM »
Siamese cat / 2littlemonkeys 

Our family is dealing with our mother who has Alzheimers and my older sister in the beginning, would send me cryptic emails about issues with
Mom (sis lives close and takes care of Mom) - Finally after the latest cryptic email, I called her and told her that I don't do cryptic very well,
and if she had anything to say, to write it out or call.  There was silence, then "OK" and a click.  Since then, it has stopped.  She tells us what the
problem is.

I know that may not work for bosses but maybe a variation of it might.

Sigh. not with mine. I've tried that and it goes in one ear, and out the other.  Today though, he DID have the grace to admit he was incorrect. the one email simply said "the links are the same" to 3 links to 3 separate docs I sent him. Since I had previously told him I could help out with his summaries, I wasn't sure if he meant they are teh same, so just do one summary, as in please do this, or he was simply telling me they were incorrect (which they were not)

So after I responded adn got no answer, i went and asked him, and he said, oh, maybe I clicked on something else.

Shalamar

« Reply #10706 on: February 05, 2013, 01:25:30 PM »
People's verbal tics, although I shouldn't complain because I know I have a few myself.  I have a work friend who adds the words "or whatever" to the end of pretty  much every sentence.  So, a typical statement from her will be "I went to the grocery store or whatever to get some apples or whatever.  So I was standing at the checkout, and there was this lady in front of me who had too many items, or whatever."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10707 on: February 05, 2013, 01:40:42 PM »
My middle son's need to repeat a joke over and over.  ::)

Last night it was a line from the Simpsons. 

Homer: Tell me how I'm going to die! I can't wait!
Death: You can't wait six months?

DS2 repeated that about 3 times.  I chuckled the first time then both DS1 and I told him to knock it off.

Also the fact that my living room cannot seem to stay clean. I pick up and vacuum daily as one would expect but within about 3 hours it's a pigsty again.  ::) 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

KimberlyM

« Reply #10708 on: February 05, 2013, 01:56:55 PM »
People's verbal tics, although I shouldn't complain because I know I have a few myself.  I have a work friend who adds the words "or whatever" to the end of pretty  much every sentence.  So, a typical statement from her will be "I went to the grocery store or whatever to get some apples or whatever.  So I was standing at the checkout, and there was this lady in front of me who had too many items, or whatever."

My husband has a friend who uses "whenever" rather than when.  Drives me up the wall! 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #10709 on: February 05, 2013, 01:57:33 PM »
Tax season is here in the US. I had mentioned to my mom that DH and I are going to owe money back to the IRS, but we were still waiting on a few miscellaneous forms to arrive. My mother told me that she and my dad specifically picked an accountant that always gets them a refund.

So, no matter what changes year to year, according to my mom, there will be a refund.