Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1788802 times)

CrochetFanatic

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10740 on: February 06, 2013, 06:54:35 PM »
Prescription errors.  Two days ago, I called in for a prescription for a Ventolin inhaler because I noticed that there were no refills on my current one and it was nearly empty.  I distinctly said "Ventolin".

My doctor called in an Advair diskus instead of a rescue inhaler.  I already have an Advair diskus that isn't even half-way empty yet.  My current rescue inhaler is maybe two doses away from being empty.  I am not amused.  Iím hoping I can stay polite on the phone tomorrow, because after this, their latest mistake, Iím ready to use creative profanity.  Well, I wonít go that far, but itís aggravating.  This isn't the first mistake they've made, and I am so over being treated like a pest when I call them up to ask them to fix it.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10741 on: February 06, 2013, 07:28:38 PM »
Fried rice from the Chinese take-out isn't what it used to be.

When I was a kid, a teen, and a young adult (sometime back during the Roman Empire) fried rice always contained bean sprouts, scallion, and bits of scrambled egg as well as the animal protein of your choice.  Nowadays pork friend rice might have bean sprouts, but none of the other stuff.

When and why did this happen?

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #10742 on: February 06, 2013, 07:50:25 PM »
Fried rice from the Chinese take-out isn't what it used to be.

When I was a kid, a teen, and a young adult (sometime back during the Roman Empire) fried rice always contained bean sprouts, scallion, and bits of scrambled egg as well as the animal protein of your choice.  Nowadays pork friend rice might have bean sprouts, but none of the other stuff.

When and why did this happen?

I guess our local place is awesome, because you just described fried rice perfectly.

Also, I want fried rice now.

Sebastienne

« Reply #10743 on: February 06, 2013, 09:19:08 PM »
I came home from grocery shopping to find a giant flying Texas roach having its way with my freshly cleaned kitchen. This isn't just squeamishness; these are horrible creatures that give me straight-up panic attacks. It's seriously the biggest one I've ever seen, and I'm seriously freaking out, and my stupid husband was heading home from work and got a flat tire, and so I'm sitting in the living room with my back to the wall, watching the kitchen, and holding a bottle of bug spray, and my groceries are probably melting.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #10744 on: February 06, 2013, 09:36:04 PM »
Accountant here. If we're manning the barricades against the popular misconceptions, count me in. I'll share with librarians and actuaries. I can bring a practising scientist who objects to the 'total nutcase in white lab coat trying to destroy the world' image too, if there's room?

Actually, most so-called mad scientists from movies etc are clearly engineers not scientists: building a giant laser is a task for an engineer not a chemist.

Yes, but we chemists get the glowing and/or steaming flasks of coloured liquids that mean SCIENCE! is being done.

Too true. As an entomologist, I really should spend more time in khakis crawling on the rainforest floor with a magnifying glass.

Sebastienne

« Reply #10745 on: February 06, 2013, 09:38:55 PM »
Accountant here. If we're manning the barricades against the popular misconceptions, count me in. I'll share with librarians and actuaries. I can bring a practising scientist who objects to the 'total nutcase in white lab coat trying to destroy the world' image too, if there's room?

Actually, most so-called mad scientists from movies etc are clearly engineers not scientists: building a giant laser is a task for an engineer not a chemist.

Yes, but we chemists get the glowing and/or steaming flasks of coloured liquids that mean SCIENCE! is being done.

Too true. As an entomologist, I really should spend more time in khakis crawling on the rainforest floor with a magnifying glass.

As an entomologist, do you want to come over and take care of this bug for me?

mmswm

« Reply #10746 on: February 06, 2013, 09:46:48 PM »

As a statistician I'll be there with my calculator, messed up hair and pencil to crunch numbers from the data you get from the rainforest floor and the steaming flasks of coloured liquids.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #10747 on: February 06, 2013, 09:57:19 PM »
I came home from grocery shopping to find a giant flying Texas roach having its way with my freshly cleaned kitchen. This isn't just squeamishness; these are horrible creatures that give me straight-up panic attacks. It's seriously the biggest one I've ever seen, and I'm seriously freaking out, and my stupid husband was heading home from work and got a flat tire, and so I'm sitting in the living room with my back to the wall, watching the kitchen, and holding a bottle of bug spray, and my groceries are probably melting.

AAAGH! Where's the EEK! emoticon?  Boy, do I ever feel your pain on this one.  And darn if those things don't just materialize out of thin air, scurrying inches away from your feet.  I tried to sic my tabby after them, but all he succeeds in doing is herding them towards me!

Sebastienne

« Reply #10748 on: February 06, 2013, 10:11:08 PM »

AAAGH! Where's the EEK! emoticon?  Boy, do I ever feel your pain on this one.  And darn if those things don't just materialize out of thin air, scurrying inches away from your feet.  I tried to sic my tabby after them, but all he succeeds in doing is herding them towards me!

I sprayed it with bug spray, and I think it liked it. The dog is even terrified of this one. If I threw a shoe at it, it would throw it back.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #10749 on: February 06, 2013, 10:14:42 PM »

I sprayed it with bug spray, and I think it liked it. The dog is even terrified of this one. If I threw a shoe at it, it would throw it back.

I've mentioned this before, but imagine having one crawl up the INSIDE of your pant leg.

Sebastienne

« Reply #10750 on: February 06, 2013, 10:21:50 PM »

I've mentioned this before, but imagine having one crawl up the INSIDE of your pant leg.

Please don't make me imagine that.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #10751 on: February 06, 2013, 10:26:17 PM »
For a moment, I thought I was in the wrong thread. I hate roaches.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10752 on: February 06, 2013, 10:28:07 PM »

Do you buy your khakis at the same store as the archaeologists who wander into ruins, pick up golden treasures, and leave without taking photos, measurements, or any other sort of records of provenance?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #10753 on: February 06, 2013, 10:36:10 PM »
Prescription errors.  Two days ago, I called in for a prescription for a Ventolin inhaler because I noticed that there were no refills on my current one and it was nearly empty.  I distinctly said "Ventolin".

My doctor called in an Advair diskus instead of a rescue inhaler.  I already have an Advair diskus that isn't even half-way empty yet.  My current rescue inhaler is maybe two doses away from being empty.  I am not amused.  Iím hoping I can stay polite on the phone tomorrow, because after this, their latest mistake, Iím ready to use creative profanity.  Well, I wonít go that far, but itís aggravating.  This isn't the first mistake they've made, and I am so over being treated like a pest when I call them up to ask them to fix it.

Same issue here. I found a coupon for Ventolin, and the office called in Proventil instead. The pharmacist would not change it without hearing from the doctor. I hope you get it figured out.

Sebastienne

« Reply #10754 on: February 06, 2013, 10:41:28 PM »
For a moment, I thought I was in the wrong thread. I hate roaches.

Me, too.

In the end, the dog drowned it in its water dish. He got bacon as a reward. The dog drives me up the wall sometimes, but tonight he's a hero.