Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1299298 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10770 on: February 07, 2013, 10:56:10 AM »
Yvaine, I don't know where you live, but my primary Chinese take-out does great Singapore Chow Mei Fun and knows how to prepare its meat and fish.  But if it has the same thing on its menu ("House Special Fried Rice") I'm going to find out what that means.

It could be that the places in my area all do this so they can charge more if people want the fried rice they knew in their youth.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10771 on: February 07, 2013, 12:15:40 PM »
I figured out where the pretzel smell was coming from when I hugged the baby and kissed his cheek and discovered ah, it was his face that smelled like pretzels! Odd thing is that he hasn't eaten anything in the last few days (and I do wash his face after he eats) that would make him smell like pretzel.

A friend of mine told me that her coworker and her husband often smell bacon cooking when no one's in the kitchen.  They think it's a ghost.  Who knows, maybe a former resident of our house really liked cookies. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mmswm

« Reply #10772 on: February 07, 2013, 12:23:55 PM »
I figured out where the pretzel smell was coming from when I hugged the baby and kissed his cheek and discovered ah, it was his face that smelled like pretzels! Odd thing is that he hasn't eaten anything in the last few days (and I do wash his face after he eats) that would make him smell like pretzel.

A friend of mine told me that her coworker and her husband often smell bacon cooking when no one's in the kitchen.  They think it's a ghost.  Who knows, maybe a former resident of our house really liked cookies. :)

We have claimed for years that my mom's house is haunted.  Actually, it's my mom that's haunted, since "Bob" (the name we gave the ghost) followed her when we moved.  Bob likes to hide things.  He's a bit of a prankster about it.  You can set your keys down on the table next to you and not move, but 20 minutes later, the keys are gone.  All sorts of things disappear all the time around here.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10773 on: February 07, 2013, 12:33:36 PM »
I always blame the leprechauns so it's become the common line in the house if someone puts something down and then can't find it there later. 

"The leprechaun's made off with it!" (course sometimes our "leprechaun" is the smallest of us.)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #10774 on: February 07, 2013, 12:50:54 PM »
Speaking of comments, I have to remember to not read the comments on some fbook fan pages.  Unsurprisingly I'm sure, I "liked" a page that shares quite a few pictures of Johnny Depp daily and without fail there are women leaving comments as though it's actually Johnny sharing the photos.   It's made pretty clear that the page is a FAN page, not actually run by the man himself.

On the day of the Sandy Hook tragedy, one woman criticized Johnny for sharing pictures of himself when it was such a tragic day.   And there are ALWAYS comments like that directed to Johnny as though they think he's the one behind it.   ::)

Facebook comments never fail to amaze me. Grumpy Cat (well, her owner) had to post a message asking people to quite making hateful comments criticizing the cat's negativity.  ???

Recently, the I [expletive] Love Science page posted a bunch of photographs of famous scientists when they were small children - Stephen Hawking, Carl Sagan, Einstein, and a few others. In the comments, someone asked why they hadn't included a childhood photograph of Isaac Newton.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10775 on: February 07, 2013, 01:31:10 PM »
That is rather brain hurty too!  But then I get the impression some of these folks aren't running on all cylinders. 

It's kind of funny, the women who post those comments on the JD fan page state they are huge fans of his.  Maybe my level of obsession is more than most but I've heard him say on talk shows that he tries to avoid tabloids and won't even watch his own movies.   He's said he likes to remain in a "blissful state of ignorance" as far as the whole Hollywood thing goes and told David Letterman he feels the movies, once he's done shooting them, are "none of my business".  That and the man really treasures what little privacy he can get.

Thus going on fbook and posting pictures of himself doesn't quite make sense.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10776 on: February 07, 2013, 02:11:13 PM »
Pre-teens!! Gah!! What is it about middle school? My oldest son, in elementary school, was very conscientious about doing his homework and his grades and we always praised him for them, as they were always A's and B's. 

He started 6th grade in the fall and all of a sudden there was "I don't have homework!" or "I finished it in school!" and as a result, his first report card really suffered for it.  C's and D's.  There were restrictions put into place and he was not allowed to do much of anything until he proved he turned over a new leaf.  The next report card had A's and B's. Okay, good. 

Now I got a call from his merit (advanced) English Language Arts teacher saying he was unprepared for an assignment on a short chapter book they were reading as a class, a book I haven't even heard about, let alone seen, and he was telling her "I don't have enough time with all the homework I have!" while telling me "I don't have much homework" or "I didn't have much and I did it during our free period/end of class" and saying "The teachers don't give us time to write down our homework!"

So he's going on some major restrictions and we are going to have a talk when he gets home in about 20 minutes.  Ugh!!

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #10777 on: February 07, 2013, 02:30:00 PM »
Pre-teens!! Gah!! What is it about middle school? My oldest son, in elementary school, was very conscientious about doing his homework and his grades and we always praised him for them, as they were always A's and B's. 

He started 6th grade in the fall and all of a sudden there was "I don't have homework!" or "I finished it in school!" and as a result, his first report card really suffered for it.  C's and D's.  There were restrictions put into place and he was not allowed to do much of anything until he proved he turned over a new leaf.  The next report card had A's and B's. Okay, good. 

Now I got a call from his merit (advanced) English Language Arts teacher saying he was unprepared for an assignment on a short chapter book they were reading as a class, a book I haven't even heard about, let alone seen, and he was telling her "I don't have enough time with all the homework I have!" while telling me "I don't have much homework" or "I didn't have much and I did it during our free period/end of class" and saying "The teachers don't give us time to write down our homework!"

So he's going on some major restrictions and we are going to have a talk when he gets home in about 20 minutes.  Ugh!!

When did you steal my eldest son? (To depress you, we're having issues like this and he's in 11th grade. *sigh*)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10778 on: February 07, 2013, 02:34:54 PM »
Well at least we're not alone. :P 

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #10779 on: February 07, 2013, 03:20:15 PM »
Prescription errors.  Two days ago, I called in for a prescription for a Ventolin inhaler because I noticed that there were no refills on my current one and it was nearly empty.  I distinctly said "Ventolin".

My doctor called in an Advair diskus instead of a rescue inhaler.  I already have an Advair diskus that isn't even half-way empty yet.  My current rescue inhaler is maybe two doses away from being empty.  I am not amused.  Iím hoping I can stay polite on the phone tomorrow, because after this, their latest mistake, Iím ready to use creative profanity.  Well, I wonít go that far, but itís aggravating.  This isn't the first mistake they've made, and I am so over being treated like a pest when I call them up to ask them to fix it.

My former GP used a computerised prescription system, where he highlighted the prescription needed, and it printed out the prescription form.  Fabulous!  Except for the time my ventolin inhaler was needed.  I put the script in at the pharmacy, and the pharmacist called me over, saying 'Do you really want this?'  I looked at the form, it was for Ventolin injection, rather than the inhaler.  For information, the injection is often used for halting premature labour, and since I wasn't in labour or even pregnant, it wasn't really appropriate. 

We had a good laugh about it, and he gave me the inhaler anyway (here we can get one inhaler OTC, but the pricing works out differently on occasion, and I can get two inhalers on prescription).

Re Bob the ghost moving things - I live with Boris, who does much the same thing.  I generally ask him by name to return the item, turn away and it returns to where I left it.  Usually, anyway.  Boris has a long, long track record, including opening and closing doors in front of me, on request, hiding things in very unlikely places, sometimes for years, even putting in the occasional appearance, even if just in shadow profile form.  A recent psychic visit gave me total chills when she described him before I mentioned anything, and now I have a proper name, but he still answers to Boris.

And fried rice...  I usually order the Special Fried Rice - big chunks of chicken, pork, king prawns, it's a meal on it's own.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #10780 on: February 07, 2013, 03:45:40 PM »
TV people who don't know a word on the teleprompter and substitute a word that they do know.  One of the Baltimore newscasters was talking about the foal in the Superbowl Budweiser commercial; she evidently didn't know the word 'foal' because both last night and tonight she called the poor baby horse a 'foul'.

A reporter on the local news here was covering, in very serious tones, a murder in which the victim had been killed at his house and was discovered by family members. Mr. Reporter said gravely that the victim's family members were "running around in the street ecstatically." We assume he meant "hysterically" and misread or misspoke.

Or maybe the victim was really, really unpopular with his family...
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10781 on: February 07, 2013, 03:50:23 PM »

My dog always smelled like maple syrup. :)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #10782 on: February 07, 2013, 03:56:54 PM »
I came home from grocery shopping to find a giant flying Texas roach having its way with my freshly cleaned kitchen. This isn't just squeamishness; these are horrible creatures that give me straight-up panic attacks. It's seriously the biggest one I've ever seen, and I'm seriously freaking out, and my stupid husband was heading home from work and got a flat tire, and so I'm sitting in the living room with my back to the wall, watching the kitchen, and holding a bottle of bug spray, and my groceries are probably melting.
My sister once sprayed me in the face with bug spray trying to kill a Tree Roach. My parents were not happy.

For those not from the US Gulf Coast - These are not things are dirty bugs. They are the dominate species and make their presence known. My Mom kept our house scrubbed down like her lab, but nothing short of an airtight house was going to keep those buggers out. (They are what I see when Ender's Game talks about the buggers.)

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Shalamar

« Reply #10783 on: February 07, 2013, 04:02:09 PM »
the victim's family members were "running around in the street ecstatically."

Oh, dear.  Now I'm picturing people running all over the place with sparklers and noisemakers, yelling "WOO HOO!  The old son-of-a-moose is dead!  Dibs on his piano!"

mmswm

« Reply #10784 on: February 07, 2013, 04:11:24 PM »

When did you steal my eldest son? (To depress you, we're having issues like this and he's in 11th grade. *sigh*)

Apparently right after you stole mine.  At least now with him being homeschooled, I don't have the homework battles anymore.  That's one good thing about it.