Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1682409 times)

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10800 on: February 08, 2013, 09:54:46 AM »
One day I got annoyed and defriended everyone who called their wife "wifey." I cannot stand that. I don't know if it's because it reminds me of some 1960s housewife or what, but it raises my hackles.

I know someone who upped the ante there. He calls her his "wiferson." Bleargh.

In general, I don't mind people being mushy on Facebook, but there's a limit. The occasional "Awww, the hubs brought home takeout, he's the best!" is fine. The person who posted every other day for six months about how she couldn't wait to become Mrs. [Steve] [Lastname], she hit that limit. I was sorely tempted to ask if Steve was going to be her first or middle name when she went in to change it.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10801 on: February 08, 2013, 10:01:44 AM »
In the same vein as the lovey dovey  stuff, I have a friend, more of a friend of a friend, who is a lovely person, but her status updates are all about her, her hubby, and her kids. now they adopted 2 kids from Russia several years ago, after trying for years to have their own. I get they are over the moon about them, but every single update is a gushy "I love my little angels, they make my life complete" to "I have the bestest husband in the whole universe, he made me yogurt and granola today!" 

on a side note, they went into tremendous debt with the adoptions, and they are like on straw away from being broke and homeless. not really, but things are tight as she is a SAHM and she posts constantly about this and that to help them get out of debt. fundraisers, sure, but posting the same thing twice a day for days on end?

i finally hid her feeds and waht's funny is i told my friend who I met her through and she did hte same thing!

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #10802 on: February 08, 2013, 10:26:17 AM »
I just saw a status update where someone apparently "cut and died her hair".  I thought hair was already dead!  :P

Shalamar

« Reply #10803 on: February 08, 2013, 10:47:25 AM »
I have a Facebook friend who's pregnant for the first time.   She's a lovely girl, but she keeps posting things like "I'm going to be the coolest mom ever, and my daughter (she knows the baby is a girl) is going to think I am, too!"  I don't think I earned any points when I said "Don't be too hurt if that turns out to not be the case - I don't think there's a parent alive whose kid thinks he/she is cool.  Not once they're in their teen years, anyway."

Midge

« Reply #10804 on: February 08, 2013, 11:09:38 AM »
I figured out where the pretzel smell was coming from when I hugged the baby and kissed his cheek and discovered ah, it was his face that smelled like pretzels! Odd thing is that he hasn't eaten anything in the last few days (and I do wash his face after he eats) that would make him smell like pretzel.

A friend of mine told me that her coworker and her husband often smell bacon cooking when no one's in the kitchen.  They think it's a ghost.  Who knows, maybe a former resident of our house really liked cookies. :)

My dog always smelled like maple syrup. :)

My husband's hair always smells like pizza (he eats enough of it, he's probably secreting it out of every pore); one of our cats smells like maple syrup!

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #10805 on: February 08, 2013, 12:35:54 PM »
I'm a graduate student and am pretty good friends with a group of people in my program. Most of us are broke and living in tiny housing but one woman is fairly well off, with a large home centrally located home and a generous budget for entertaining. As a result, almost all of our gatherings end up at her house. The only downside is she's very much of the more the merrier school of thought, while I tend to prefer smaller, more low key gatherings.

A group of 10 of us have organized a communal dinner at her home for this weekend. However, she keeps inviting people so what was an intimate gathering is now almost 30 people strong. It's her home and largely her party, but I've had a long week and don't have the emotional energy for what is now a potluck packed with people I don't really know. However, I feel rude for changing my RSVP to something I helped plan just because I don't want to hang out with 20 additional people.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10806 on: February 08, 2013, 01:05:18 PM »
I have a Facebook friend who's pregnant for the first time.   She's a lovely girl, but she keeps posting things like "I'm going to be the coolest mom ever, and my daughter (she knows the baby is a girl) is going to think I am, too!"  I don't think I earned any points when I said "Don't be too hurt if that turns out to not be the case - I don't think there's a parent alive whose kid thinks he/she is cool.  Not once they're in their teen years, anyway."

That kind of status would make me roll my eyes.  Most people I've known who think they're either the best parent ever or coolest parent ever are the ones who really are not, and they're the ones with the kids rolling their eyes when the parent tries too hard to be a friend.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mmswm

« Reply #10807 on: February 08, 2013, 01:08:35 PM »
I'm the "Use the same glass all day" type of person.

My mother is the "No dirty dishes ever!" kind of person (She's been known to remove plates from the table before the person has actually finished eating.)

This would be annoying enough, but then she goes and complains about how many cups I use during the day.  Well, ummmmm, stop grabbing my cups and sticking them in the dishwasher!  Then I wouldn't have to get a new one.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Shalamar

« Reply #10808 on: February 08, 2013, 02:16:31 PM »
Speaking of dishwashers, every time my parents fly out to stay with us, I can count on my mother saying "You're running your dishwasher AGAIN?  We only run ours once a week, if that."  I've explained, over and over, that she and Dad use two sets of dishes.  When they're staying with us, we use six sets of dishes.  So, yeah, we run out of clean dishes a lot faster. 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #10809 on: February 08, 2013, 02:44:43 PM »
Speaking of dishwashers, every time my parents fly out to stay with us, I can count on my mother saying "You're running your dishwasher AGAIN?  We only run ours once a week, if that."  I've explained, over and over, that she and Dad use two sets of dishes.  When they're staying with us, we use six sets of dishes.  So, yeah, we run out of clean dishes a lot faster.

Before I stuff SnarkyTraska back in the cage, she wants to add:

"Yeah Mom, but we run ours more often because we like to eat off of clean plates."

mmswm

« Reply #10810 on: February 08, 2013, 02:55:54 PM »
I'm having a bad day, so here goes another one....

Why do people take something that's only partially true, then go way over the top with it.

For example:

Vinegar works well to destroy urine stains left by dogs and cats which will prevent them for going in that spot again.  It works in a similar fashion to enzyme cleaners. 

This gets contorted into:

Vinegar will prevent your dog from peeing in the house!

Not quite.

But then some people will hear this and mop their entire house with straight vinegar, making several of the other inhabitants violently ill, while at the same time becoming defensive and refusing to believe that she might be wrong, since "her friends said it was true."
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #10811 on: February 08, 2013, 03:05:52 PM »
1. People who leave voice mail message like this:
"Hi, this is Jessica from XYZ pharmacy. We have a question about the prescription you dropped off. Please call us at 555-6mumblemumble3. Thanks!"

And of course, the number doesn't show up in my phone. This happens to me all the time.

2. People who won't leave a voice mail message and instead call repeatedly, then hang up when the recording comes on.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10812 on: February 08, 2013, 03:29:48 PM »
That Tide doesn't make the same fragrances in their liquid detergent as they do in their pods.  We were using the Mystic Forest scented pods and I just love how they smell but DH, who works on appliances, said that it's been found the pods are causing washers to malfunction because they're not draining properly. 

I was admittedly kind of pouting about it cause that fragrance is not available in the liquid detergent.  But then I went to the store today, needing more laundry detergent and lo and behold, at least in our area the Mystic Forest is not available anymore.  I didn't see any at Target recently either. :P 

It has a very nice sandalwood/patchouli fragrance to it and I know that patchouli especially is one of those "love it or hate it" fragrances and maybe it just wasn't popular enough. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10813 on: February 08, 2013, 03:34:12 PM »
How about when you see a product in the supermarket with "Buy one, get one free" and discover that it doesn't apply to all the flavors?

It sometimes happens with Progresso soups when the pricing is for "Traditional" or "Vegetarian Classics", but that is usually spelled out.  The other day I tried picking up the two newest flavors of Lipton Pyramid Tea and was told that the deal didn't apply to them.  I made the cashier void them off my purchase.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #10814 on: February 08, 2013, 04:16:07 PM »
I got a phone message earlier in the day from a banker at the bank I bank at (could that be any more repetitive? LOL.) She left a message saying to call her back. Nothing about what it was regarding. I know she can't probably say a ton of stuff, but at least a message about what account it refers to or something! And I've tried to call her back three times now with no answer. Ugh.