Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1737109 times)

Giggity

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10830 on: February 09, 2013, 09:07:51 AM »
One day I got annoyed and defriended everyone who called their wife "wifey." I cannot stand that. I don't know if it's because it reminds me of some 1960s housewife or what, but it raises my hackles.

Wifey I can handle, but for some reason "the hubs" makes me insane.
Words mean things.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #10831 on: February 09, 2013, 09:57:20 AM »
One day I got annoyed and defriended everyone who called their wife "wifey." I cannot stand that. I don't know if it's because it reminds me of some 1960s housewife or what, but it raises my hackles.

"Hubby".  Bleh.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10832 on: February 09, 2013, 10:00:43 AM »

'Hubby', 'hubster', and years ago, 'the old man' and 'the old lady', too. EEK!

I hated it when friends of my parents called each other 'Mother' and 'Father', but I have since learned that was common in that generation in that area, and as bizarre as it is, at least it it respectful and not cutesy.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #10833 on: February 09, 2013, 10:02:43 AM »
Yeah and you know what it probably was about your dads that made you think they were cool? (Sorry in advance if I'm making an interesting assumption, just taking a wild guess.)

That they were not trying too hard to be cool, and that they didn't give a hoot whether you or anyone else thought they were cool or not.
Those are the coolest. :D

Now as for this facebook mom... what bothers me, is that the child is not even born yet and Mommy is already determining what the child will /think/. Ouch. Not cool to me...

That is part of it - Dad never just plonked himself down and started talking as if he was the most amazing person to ever grace the planet. He's pretty modest about his stories, though he'll admit that his life was "fun". It's way more refreshing than parents who hover around, expecting applause for every "cool" thing they do, like overeager Labrador Retrievers. Everyone I know talks about how cool my dad is, while no one ever liked the parents who acted more like puppies.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10834 on: February 09, 2013, 10:21:38 AM »
I'm so sick of epic-length statuses popping up on my Facebook feed about how "I wuv my snuggle bunny" or "I have the best hubby/wifey in the whole wide world and everyone should be jealous" and what have you. I can't say I give two flying flicks about what you trained your husband to make you for dinner or how you're engaged to "the most beautiful princess ever" or what kind of day you're having and the excruciating details of how your significant other made it better. I don't care. No. One. Cares.

Yes, I could block these people but a) it typically happens once in a blue moon and b) if I'd blocked all of them by now I'd have no friends. My concerns really aren't even that "legitimate". Facebook is for what you want it to be for, I get it, but if I roll my eyes any more they're going to stick that way.

The absolute worst are the people who say "Oh don't worry, you'll find someone!" As if that's the problem. Even when I'm with someone I don't post that sort of inane poppycock all over Facebook, and typically the people who do are the ones who turn right around and post an entire song's worth of moody lyrics as soon as said "snuggle bunnies" and "princesses" break up with them.

This drives me nuts, too.  I have a relative who is getting married soon, and it seems every other day she goes on about how she "can't wait to be married!!!"  I'm happy for her, and I know she's excited, but I really don't want to hear it anymore.  Plus, and I realize this is my problem alone, I'm chronically single.  Even though I don't want to be with someone, the fact that I'm not, and they're going on about how happy they are, just feels like they're rubbing it in my face.  Who likes to be on the outside looking in?

I'm at the point where I think their heads are so far stuck in the sand that they're not rubbing it in anyone's face on purpose. (And to clarify, I'm talking about people who literally go on for a paragraph or two, not someone who's like "Yay, my husband brought me lunch!") I think they just don't realize how vapid and strange it sounds.

I think most of them are craving attention.  They don't have any stunning accomplishment in their lives to brag about, so they go for what they can: their totally awesome spouse and/or kids. 

Maybe they're annoying, and maybe you don't like what they post on Facebook, but I think this is taking things a bit too far.  Impugning their life's accomplishments?  Implying their kids and/or spouses are they only things they have going for them in their lives that are worthwhile?  That's just mean. 

Defriend them, or block them, but don't ridicule and pass such harsh judgments on them on an etiquette board.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #10835 on: February 09, 2013, 11:44:52 AM »

I hated it when friends of my parents called each other 'Mother' and 'Father', but I have since learned that was common in that generation in that area, and as bizarre as it is, at least it it respectful and not cutesy.

I have an impossible time picturing a married couple calling each other "Mother" and "Father" without picturing a New England, most likely Maine accent.

"Looks like a Nor'easter there, Father."
"Ayuh, looks like, Mother."

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10836 on: February 09, 2013, 12:30:35 PM »

I have an impossible time picturing a married couple calling each other "Mother" and "Father" without picturing a New England, most likely Maine accent.

My grandparents try to refer to themselves as whatever the majority of the people in the room know them as.  It can be pretty funny to listen to my grandmother call my grandfather anything from "Dad" to "Grampy" to "Bob" and back again. 

mmswm

« Reply #10837 on: February 09, 2013, 12:37:01 PM »
I'm currently living with my parents again.  My children are 13, 11 and 10.  I have a sister and brother who are 11 and 10, respectively.  Attempting to address all the children and refer to my parents gets tricky, since half of them call them mom and dad and the other half call them Oma and Granddad.  I've given up and call them the "old man" or the "old woman".  Not exactly respectful, but everybody (including my parents) gets a laugh out of it.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #10838 on: February 09, 2013, 01:43:29 PM »
This is a little irritation that got under my skin yesterday.

My coworker is in her first post high school job, so I know this habit is mostly due to her inexperience.
By and large, she does show a very high level of maturity and responsibility and I am often impressed by her ability and initiative.

But once in a while, she "goes limp" and skips over don't things that may be too difficult or that she doesn't want to deal with.
It isn't an all-the-time thing and, as I said she is a very capable young lady, so when it does happen, it's obvious and annoying.

Yesterday it was the printer.
There are two printers on my floor and neither is my responsibility aside from asking Coworker to order more paper.
Coworker needed to use a printer for a specialized function. A minute later, she walked past my desk and said casually "Your printer is doing something funky. I went to copy and the light won't turn green and let me print."
And she kept going.
She didn't try to fix it. Or ask for help. Or ask to be shown how to fix it.
Just a 'drive-by-announcement', dumping the problem on me.

I said "Try checking the scan function to make sure it's online." And that fixed it.

I didn't expect her to know the intricacies of an unfamiliar machine, but I did expect more than just announce a problem and walk away from it. Hmmph.

PeterM

« Reply #10839 on: February 09, 2013, 01:56:53 PM »

We have a fair few people in our area who refer to each other this way, and it's not the older generation. It's mostly people with kids under 10, and they also refer to their children as "sister" and "brother" rather than by name. Even when there's more than one child of each gender. It's more common to hear sister and brother for the kids than parents also calling each other mother and father, but both are relatively common.

It doesn't so much drive me up a wall as creep me out in a way I can't entirely put my finger on. I know the biggest thing for me is that it seems to depersonalize everyone in the family. That's not my sister Suzy, that's just "sister," a role that could be easily filled if Suzy were to disappear. I don't believe any of the parents who use these terms intend them this way - not even the ones who creep me out for other, more concrete reasons - but that's what it triggers in me every time I hear it.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10840 on: February 09, 2013, 02:24:06 PM »

I think you've got it!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10841 on: February 09, 2013, 02:57:51 PM »
When I started dating Mr. Thipu his parents always called each other 'Daddy' and 'Darling'. It might have been sweet when their children were young but, by this time, the children were in their 30s. It struck me as a little creepy.

It seemed especially odd to me because my parents always called each other by their first names. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10842 on: February 09, 2013, 05:08:03 PM »
When my brother and I were still living at home, my parents mostly called each other Mom and Dad, same as we did.  But once we moved out, they reverted back to calling each other by their first names.  It was a bit strange at first but we got used to it.

I belong to a union.  It creeps me out to be called 'sister' by other members.  I will never call someone brother or sister.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Leafy

« Reply #10843 on: February 09, 2013, 05:58:28 PM »

We have a fair few people in our area who refer to each other this way, and it's not the older generation. It's mostly people with kids under 10, and they also refer to their children as "sister" and "brother" rather than by name. Even when there's more than one child of each gender. It's more common to hear sister and brother for the kids than parents also calling each other mother and father, but both are relatively common.

It doesn't so much drive me up a wall as creep me out in a way I can't entirely put my finger on. I know the biggest thing for me is that it seems to depersonalize everyone in the family. That's not my sister Suzy, that's just "sister," a role that could be easily filled if Suzy were to disappear. I don't believe any of the parents who use these terms intend them this way - not even the ones who creep me out for other, more concrete reasons - but that's what it triggers in me every time I hear it.

I can relate to this. When my MIL addresses DH she always calls him "son", never uses his name except if she is talking about him. I get "my dear". Sometimes I just want to yell "we have names you know". It feels so impersonal and somewhat diminishing to me. May just be my upbringing. Interestingly she only does this with her sons and not her daughters. Although the youngest daughter does get called "baby" and she is in her thirties. I try to tell myself it is just a nickname but I still find it grating.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10844 on: February 09, 2013, 06:18:39 PM »

It creeps me out, too, and my reason is that it de-sexualizes the parents.    It's as though their identities become limited to being parents and not being romantic partners for each other.

Depersonalizing children is a separate issue, but the combination of these two things feels really sick to me.