Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1707688 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10845 on: February 09, 2013, 06:23:03 PM »
Although the youngest daughter does get called "baby" and she is in her thirties. I try to tell myself it is just a nickname but I still find it grating.
My father still calls me "baby girl".  I'm 57.  And I like it. :)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10846 on: February 09, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
I'm currently living with my parents again.  My children are 13, 11 and 10.  I have a sister and brother who are 11 and 10, respectively.  Attempting to address all the children and refer to my parents gets tricky, since half of them call them mom and dad and the other half call them Oma and Granddad.  I've given up and call them the "old man" or the "old woman".  Not exactly respectful, but everybody (including my parents) gets a laugh out of it.

So out of curiosity, what do the kids call each other? Do your kids call your brother and sister "aunt and uncle"? *joke*

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #10847 on: February 09, 2013, 07:17:25 PM »
Work people who try to force a friendship/relationship too soon. I've been at my base for quite a while, and so have a couple of my closer work friends. We have nicknames for each other, and we do use them at work.

It really grinds my gears when a new person uses my nickname. Not only because they have no knowledge of the backstory, but because I outrank them by years. They aren't even supposed to use my REAL name! I am Sgt Bluebelle, you young cuss... I have socks that have been deployed longer than your enlistment :P

I don't really say that last sentence, but I am most definitely thinking it >:D I can't wait to be a crusty, angry Senior NCO ;D ;D ;D
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

TaurusGirl

« Reply #10848 on: February 09, 2013, 08:11:05 PM »
People who use speakerphone at the office all the time.  There's a guy who has an office a few feet from me, and he's in love with speakerphone, even when it's not necessary.  Today, I overheard this conversation:

Rude Guy:  Blah blah blah.
Lady on Phone:  Blah blah - um, am I on speakerphone?

For me, it's being ON speakerphone. I will ask if I am, and if the answer is yes (and it isn't a meeting where I have to communicate with multiple people at once), I will tell the other party to take me off speakerphone. If they won't, I terminate the call.
*shudder*
I HATE speakerphone!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #10849 on: February 09, 2013, 08:13:03 PM »
People who use speakerphone at the office all the time.  There's a guy who has an office a few feet from me, and he's in love with speakerphone, even when it's not necessary.  Today, I overheard this conversation:

For me, it's being ON speakerphone. I will ask if I am, and if the answer is yes (and it isn't a meeting where I have to communicate with multiple people at once), I will tell the other party to take me off speakerphone. If they won't, I terminate the call.
*shudder*
I HATE speakerphone!

Just curious, but why?

I don't like it because I can never clearly hear the person on the other end.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

mmswm

« Reply #10850 on: February 09, 2013, 08:15:06 PM »

*shudder*
I HATE speakerphone!

My position with MajorBank was absolutely no customer contact.  Even if we wanted to, we couldn't speak directly to a customer.  We'd frequently field calls from branch employees who were working directly with the customer.  If we had the slightest inkling that we were on speakerphone, we had to request that they take us off.  If they refused, we were required to terminate the call.  Not doing so could lead to us getting fired, so we got really good at figuring out if we were on speakerphone or not.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Shalamar

« Reply #10851 on: February 09, 2013, 08:24:16 PM »
Anyone else getting "Cabin in the Woods" flashbacks?   :D

TaurusGirl

« Reply #10852 on: February 09, 2013, 08:56:19 PM »

*shudder*
I HATE speakerphone!

Just curious, but why?

I don't like it because I can never clearly hear the person on the other end.

Part of it is that I don't hear very well - it always sounds very echo-y. And for some reason I just can't stand the idea of my voice being broadcast in a room. It literally makes my skin crawl.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #10853 on: February 10, 2013, 12:09:31 AM »
One day I got annoyed and defriended everyone who called their wife "wifey." I cannot stand that. I don't know if it's because it reminds me of some 1960s housewife or what, but it raises my hackles.

Wifey I can handle, but for some reason "the hubs" makes me insane.

'Hubby', 'hubster', and years ago, 'the old man' and 'the old lady', too. EEK!

I hated it when friends of my parents called each other 'Mother' and 'Father', but I have since learned that was common in that generation in that area, and as bizarre as it is, at least it it respectful and not cutesy.

I despise the use of old man and old lady to refer to one's SO.

I also despise BFF when used by anyone older than 25.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #10854 on: February 10, 2013, 12:15:35 AM »

*shudder*
I HATE speakerphone!

I feel the same. I would rather not talk on the phone at all, but I refuse to be on speakerphone 99% of the time.

nuit93

« Reply #10855 on: February 10, 2013, 06:13:29 PM »
When my brother and I were still living at home, my parents mostly called each other Mom and Dad, same as we did.  But once we moved out, they reverted back to calling each other by their first names.  It was a bit strange at first but we got used to it.

I belong to a union.  It creeps me out to be called 'sister' by other members.  I will never call someone brother or sister.

I'm a member of a fraternal organization where we often do refer to each other as "sister" or "brother".  Sometimes it feels weird, but I'm closer to some of these people than my own siblings.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10856 on: February 10, 2013, 06:16:05 PM »
Most of the people calling me 'Sister Outdoor Girl' are calling me that the first time I meet them.  It just sets my teeth on edge.

If these were people I was exceptionally close to, it probably wouldn't bother me so much.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #10857 on: February 11, 2013, 10:03:57 AM »
Similar to the Mom/Dad/Brother/Sister thing, a childhood friend of my SO was in our area for two and a half days and stayed with us both nights (and spent one of the days with us).

Not once did he refer to his wife by her name in conversation—she was always just "my wife." Now, if we hadn’t met her before and hadn’t known he was married until that visit, I guess maybe that might make sense, but my SO was a groomsman in his wedding, I was a guest, and we’ve met her many times otherwise.

I suspect that due to religious reasons, he sees her more as his wife than a separate person with a name, but that is fodder for a whole other thread not appropriate on here.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10858 on: February 11, 2013, 10:33:20 AM »
I admit I was partly at fault here, but I don't understand my DH's thinking-or lack thereof.

Yesterday evening, I was out somewhere when DH called to ask what I'd planned for dinner. 

"Spaghetti, and there's sauce already made up and frozen in the freezer".

He acknowledged that he found the sauce, and we closed the conversation.

When I got home, there was no sauce defrosted and warmed on the stove.  When I asked why, he said "You didn't tell me to defrost it!"  ::).

By my thinking, "there's frozen sauce" would translate to "it's 5:15; I'll take it out and get dinner started". 

He says he didn't know when I'd be home.  I was on my way home, plus even if he didn't know this or if I were late, he could still get dinner going.

I didn't realize I had to tell him to start the sauce  >:(.  Is this common, or just my DH?

audhs

« Reply #10859 on: February 11, 2013, 11:15:16 AM »
Guihong - I get your frustration because it seems so logical that he'd have at least taken it out of the freezer.  I guessing because he asked what you planed for dinner he was thinking about you making dinner. :)

Your post reminds me of one of the things that drives me up the wall.  It's that my dh will get annoyed when I answer the question he asks instead of the one he ment to ask.

example.  the other day he asked me if I knew how much time was left on the rice. (i was no where near the rice when he asked)  So I said no, I wasn't home when you started it. and he got annoyed.f he had asked could you check how much time is left on the rice I would have, but that's not what he asked.   
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:22:02 AM by audhs »