Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1294302 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10860 on: February 11, 2013, 11:47:52 AM »
Both DS and DH have some forgetfulness issues when it comes to our home. I have to make sure everything from breakfast (DH eats after I have left for the day) and dinner is put away, or I have to throw out what was left out.  >:( Since I leave home before 7 AM and on some nights don't return until after 9 PM, this is nigh impossible.

I finally started listing the price of the replacement on our white board, and they have suddenly improved.  >:D

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #10861 on: February 11, 2013, 12:03:05 PM »
The Eagle has a bad habit of making absolute statements when he is so convinced something is so unlikely to not happen another way that it could be considered absolute...except he doesn't always tell me when it is an actual absolute statement or one of those.

For example, he said, "You can't get anything but 5 points on that."  I blithely went along believing that until I was in a conversation with someone else and mentioned the 5 points.  The someone else said, "No, you can get 3 points, too, it just almost never happens.  I've definitely never seen it happen, but it can."  I went home and double checked with the Eagle just to make sure I wasn't being fed misinformation from the someone else.  The Eagle said, "Yeah, you can get 3 points, but no one ever does it."  I asked, "So why did you say you can't get anything but 5 points?"  He replied, "Because it is so unlikely to happen that it doesn't matter.  You only ever get 5 points."  I then scolded him (yes, I scolded an adult, sometimes that's the only way I can get across to him) that he led me to believe due to his use of absolutes that it could only ever happen one way.

Now I ask him every time he uses absolutes when explaining something to me that I don't know.  "Can you never actually get anything other than 5 points or is it just a rare occasion that you get something else?"  It's still incredibly frustrating when I forget to double check.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Shalamar

« Reply #10862 on: February 11, 2013, 03:39:38 PM »
My MIL ordered me to call her "Mother Lastname" when I married her son.  I smiled politely, thought to myself "No way in h*** am I doing that", and continued to call her Janet.

I already have a mother, thank you.

(We don't get along.  Does it show?   :))

Snooks

« Reply #10863 on: February 11, 2013, 03:59:07 PM »
I also despise BFF when used by anyone older than 25.

I think anyone older than 15 should know better.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #10864 on: February 11, 2013, 04:07:04 PM »

Really?  You're belittling a fair number of adults for doing something you don't like.  I don't think that's fair or kind.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Snooks

« Reply #10865 on: February 11, 2013, 04:08:20 PM »

Really?  You're belittling a fair number of adults for doing something you don't like.  I don't think that's fair or kind.

It's something that drives me up the wall.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #10866 on: February 11, 2013, 04:11:30 PM »

Which is absolutely fine, it's the way you phrased it.  Saying someone "should know better" is akin to saying that they're either unintelligent or immature.  That's what I think is unfair.

Snooks

« Reply #10867 on: February 11, 2013, 04:15:10 PM »

Which is absolutely fine, it's the way you phrased it.  Saying someone "should know better" is akin to saying that they're either unintelligent or immature.  That's what I think is unfair.

Fair enough.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10868 on: February 11, 2013, 04:49:27 PM »
When discussing s3x crimes, the phrase "...makes you uncomfortable."  I really think that while this is all-inclusive, I think it's too weak for what it's meant to express.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #10869 on: February 11, 2013, 07:11:39 PM »
When my brother and I were still living at home, my parents mostly called each other Mom and Dad, same as we did.  But once we moved out, they reverted back to calling each other by their first names.  It was a bit strange at first but we got used to it.

I belong to a union.  It creeps me out to be called 'sister' by other members.  I will never call someone brother or sister.

I'm a member of a fraternal organization where we often do refer to each other as "sister" or "brother".  Sometimes it feels weird, but I'm closer to some of these people than my own siblings.

I wouldn't mind it as much in a fraternal organization, as it can be seen as part of the package. However, a union, to me, is a professional organization and I despise being called "sister" in that context.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #10870 on: February 11, 2013, 07:41:05 PM »
What drives me batty is when people refer to an "ex-BFF." Sorry, if they're an ex-best friend they weren't forever.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #10871 on: February 11, 2013, 09:55:12 PM »
Caps lock is driving me up the wall right now. I am in a group on Facebook that is geared towards one of the Facebook games. Two of the ladies in there always TYPE EVERYTHING IN CAPITALS. It makes me crazy! I get this mental picture in my head of someone yelling at me at the top of their lungs.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #10872 on: February 11, 2013, 10:05:55 PM »
I hate when people use "theory" in place of "hypothesis" not only because it is inaccurate but also because it leads people to say things like, "Well the Theory of Evolution is just a theory!!!" because the incorrectly believe that theory means hypothesis.

Allyson

« Reply #10873 on: February 11, 2013, 11:24:14 PM »

We have a fair few people in our area who refer to each other this way, and it's not the older generation. It's mostly people with kids under 10, and they also refer to their children as "sister" and "brother" rather than by name. Even when there's more than one child of each gender. It's more common to hear sister and brother for the kids than parents also calling each other mother and father, but both are relatively common.

That is so awesome that you know the Berenstein Bears!

lilfox

« Reply #10874 on: February 12, 2013, 12:45:56 AM »
#1  Hypocrisy about the small things:  On the way home today, DH and I were composing our grocery list to make an impromptu stop for food.  I said I wanted more instant coffee packs (mmm caramel latte).  He said, "Huh.  Those things are pretty expensive and don't they have a bunch of chemicals in them?"  I told him when he stops eating "dehydrated cheese by-products" (aka Kraft dinner) then he can judge me.

#2  Mistakes that I make, also a first world problem:  I just ordered a book for DH from Amazon this weekend, and a few other items including pre-ordering a movie that will be released tomorrow.  While I did make sure the shipping address is correct, I first chose the free shipping option (we live close to Amazon warehouse central so we usually get stuff super-fast regardless of shipping choice), but then forgot to uncheck "ship all items together" so now instead of getting DH's book in time for V-day, it will probably arrive a week late because of the movie.  Argh.