Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1635692 times)

Sapphire23

• I'm a smart cookie!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10890 on: February 12, 2013, 04:22:03 PM »
When I call a business and am greeted with  "hello" rather than "good morning/afternoon BusinessXYZ, how may I help you"? (or something to that effect).
Never make someone a priority, when they only make you an option.

Shalamar

« Reply #10891 on: February 12, 2013, 04:55:25 PM »
I know!  And when you ask "Um, is this Business XYZ?", you always get an impatient "YESSS" as a reply.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #10892 on: February 12, 2013, 05:31:44 PM »
Caps lock is driving me up the wall right now. I am in a group on Facebook that is geared towards one of the Facebook games. Two of the ladies in there always TYPE EVERYTHING IN CAPITALS. It makes me crazy! I get this mental picture in my head of someone yelling at me at the top of their lungs.
My mother did that right after she got email.  She has arthritis in her hands, and said that it was less trouble to type that way, because she didn't have to use the shift key.  Perhaps that is the case with these ladies.  Has it been explained to them that all caps=shouting? Mom stopped after we explained.  Now she just uses all lowercase.

It has been explained to them, but I think what Squeakers says may be the case. One of them admits to using all caps because she likes her posts to stand out, some of the older ladies probably use it because they cant see. I havent been ugly to anyone over it, it is just one of those things that drive me bonkers.

Like someone else (I forget who) said, it is really difficult for me to read a giant wall of text in all caps. I muddle through it though. :)

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10893 on: February 12, 2013, 06:00:31 PM »
I despise the use of old man and old lady to refer to one's SO.

Heh heh, the character I'm playing now at my Renfest has a name, but the other barbarians just refer to her as the Old Lady.
Words mean things.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #10894 on: February 12, 2013, 06:08:08 PM »
People who don't seem to care what a word means.

The spokesman for the Heart Attack Grill died today.  Of a heat attack.  On one of the forums I frequent, one comment was "how ironic!"

:o

Redsoil

« Reply #10895 on: February 13, 2013, 08:49:07 AM »
An interesting snippet, spinning off from the "wrong order" syndrome posts.  Apparently Amazon uses a particular storage method in their warehouses to facilitate orders - maybe some of the barcodes got scrambled?

http://femour.com/?p=10927
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #10896 on: February 13, 2013, 08:59:01 AM »
I think I just got a bonus package, because the candy came yesterday.   :o

Betelnut

« Reply #10897 on: February 13, 2013, 09:25:13 AM »

The spokesman for the Heart Attack Grill died today.  Of a heat attack.  On one of the forums I frequent, one comment was "how ironic!"

But isn't it?  Unless you literally mean "heat" attack and not "heart" attack..?
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10898 on: February 13, 2013, 11:37:30 AM »
When you've checked the dictionary and know that you've spelled something right but it still looks wrong. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10899 on: February 13, 2013, 12:21:40 PM »
Expiration dates on food. Why is it everyone puts them in differnt places, and uses differnt ways? some are either hard to find, or simply not visible at all, at leaset to me. That drives me nuts.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #10900 on: February 13, 2013, 01:03:59 PM »

But isn't it?  Unless you literally mean "heat" attack and not "heart" attack..?

Whoops, typo.

But no, ironic is when the outcome is counter to what you'd expect.  For example, a stuntman dies because he got hit by a car, but he was a pedestrian and wasn't driving, that's irony.  Someone who frequents the Heart Attack Grill dying of a heart attack?  That's not counter at all to what you'd expect.  If he lived to 100 and when he died his arteries were in excellent shape, that would be irony.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10901 on: February 13, 2013, 01:40:42 PM »
To me, irony would be the fate of a dare devil who successfully went over Niagara Falls in a barrel and died of infection when he slipped on a bit of ice and fell in a street in Paris.  I believe the name of the man was Blondel. 

snowflake

« Reply #10902 on: February 13, 2013, 01:49:29 PM »
Maybe this isn't a little thing. 

I stopped for gas yesterday and was parked behind someone using the pump in front of me.  When about five gallons of gas had pumped into my little car, someone came up behind me and started flashing their brights as a signal for me to move forward.  (None of the other 8 spots in the gas station are free.)

After realizing that no, I wasn't going to stop pumping half-way through and move up, they drove around me and backed in.  (Understandable.)  They glared at me.  They were driving a large truck (this is relevant.)

And then another large truck pulled up right behind me as I was done and getting ready to move.  Remember the large truck in front of me?  They are there and barely getting started.  The way the gas station is set up keeps me from driving around either of these trucks.  And the truck in front is large enough that I'm pretty sure they have a large tank that will be a long time in filling.  So I go back to the people behind me and point out that if they let me out, I can let them in.

Their response?  "It's OK, we can wait."

By this time, about four other spots were open so they didn't need MY spot. 

Yes, I know all I had to do was wait ten minutes to get out, but ohhhhhhh I was ready to spit nails.  The only reason why I wasn't swearing like a sailor by that time was that I had a four-year-old in the car who would have repeated it to his pre-school teacher and gotten in trouble.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #10903 on: February 13, 2013, 01:58:57 PM »
To me, irony would be the fate of a dare devil who successfully went over Niagara Falls in a barrel and died of infection when he slipped on a bit of ice and fell in a street in Paris.  I believe the name of the man was Blondel.

Also a good example.  :)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #10904 on: February 13, 2013, 02:29:48 PM »

Pedant mode on: Charles Blondin crossed Niagara on a tightrope, and died of diabetes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Blondin#North_America

You may be thinking of Bobby Leach, who went over the falls in a barrel in 1911. He died of gangrene after slipping on an orange peel in New Zealand.  http://www.niagarafallslive.com/daredevils_of_niagara_falls.htm

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain