Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1311344 times)

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10950 on: February 15, 2013, 06:22:32 PM »
I hate how some of my guy friends can't be in a relationship and still manage to talk to me as a friend. You don't have to go from chatting with me all the time to completely giving me the cold shoulder and answering everything with a yes or a no because you're in a relationship. We can still be friends. Granted, the two guys I'm thinking of had a flirty-friendship vibe with me, but it was a great dynamic that wasn't ever going anywhere. We never so much as shook hands. I guess it just feels weird being cut off cold turkey.

Today, a few of the guys were making fun of one of my male friends for going to the movies with me and another female instead of doing something "manly" with the rest of them.  I finally piped up, "Let me get this straight...we're back in the 1950s when men couldn't be friends with women?  Please, keep your sexism, we'll have fun without you."
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #10951 on: February 15, 2013, 07:17:09 PM »
Comma splices. They are everywhere and I hate them. It is not OK to stick two independent clauses together with a comma and call it a sentence.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

mmswm

« Reply #10952 on: February 15, 2013, 08:53:14 PM »
Comma splices. They are everywhere and I hate them. It is not OK to stick two independent clauses together with a comma and call it a sentence.

Will you marry me?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #10953 on: February 15, 2013, 09:08:38 PM »
The unnecessary apostrophe.  That's probably been covered before, no doubt by me :D but I'm seeing it even in places where the writer has gotten it right earlier in the sentence.   "We had a lovely fruit salad with apples, strawberries, and banana's."  ARGH!!!!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #10954 on: February 15, 2013, 10:04:34 PM »
I have a very slight allergy to salmon.  It's not all that bothersome, but it makes my mouth feel "tickly".  I used to be able to eat it with no problem, but when that began to happen I stopped eating it for the most part, because I'm afraid of having it get worse and ending up with a really bad reaction. 

What sort of bothers me is, occasionally my dad will make some sort of remark about it.  "Salmon was on sale for such-and-such this week.  I got steak instead, because CrochetFanatic can't eat salmon."  I think he thinks he's being considerate, but it annoys me to no end.  Yes, I like salmon, but it won't break my heart if my family eats it and I eat a hamburger instead.  I also happen to like hamburgers.  No big deal.  I've said, "Go ahead and get salmon if you want it.  I'll be fine with something else."  He'll wave a hand, and say, "Nah, that's all right."  Then why mention it at all?  :o  That just makes me feel like a horrible person for depriving my family, or something.  He'll also bring it up at restaurants, ordering a salmon entree and saying, "Mm, boy!  I haven't had salmon in a while.  CrochetFanatic can't eat it."  Well, yes I can, it just makes me feel like I swallowed poison ivy afterwards.  And he isn't being cruel, I'm convinced of that.  He's just clueless.  Just buy the salmon if you want it!  Jeez!

Oddly enough, I can eat salmon if it's smoked and on a bagel, and I have no problems with salmon sushi.  I don't question it, I just enjoy myself!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:06:26 PM by CrochetFanatic »

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #10955 on: February 15, 2013, 10:07:52 PM »
I have a very slight allergy to salmon.  It's not all that bothersome, but it makes my mouth feel "tickly".  I used to be able to eat it with no problem, but when that began to happen I stopped eating it for the most part, because I'm afraid of having it get worse and ending up with a really bad reaction. 

What sort of bothers me is, occasionally my dad will make some sort of remark about it.  "Salmon was on sale for such-and-such this week.  I got steak instead, because CrochetFanatic can't eat salmon."  I think he thinks he's being considerate, but it annoys me to no end.  Yes, I like salmon, but it won't break my heart if my family eats it and I eat a hamburger instead.  I also happen to like hamburgers.  No big deal.  I've said, "Go ahead and get salmon if you want it.  I'll be fine with something else."  He'll wave a hand, and say, "Nah, that's all right."  Then why mention it at all?  :o  That just makes me feel like a horrible person for depriving my family, or something.  He'll also bring it up at restaurants, ordering a salmon entree and saying, "Mm, boy!  I haven't had salmon in a while.  CrochetFanatic can't eat it."  Well, yes I can, it just makes me feel like I swallowed poison ivy afterwards.  And he isn't being cruel, I'm convinced of that.  He's just clueless.  Just buy the salmon if you want it!  Jeez!

Oddly enough, I can eat salmon if it's smoked and on a bagel, and I have no problems with salmon sushi.  I don't question it, I just enjoy myself!  ;)

With the first example, it feels to me that he's trying to get attention for how generous he's being.  "Look at me!  I gave up something I like/want for someone else.  Aren't I awesome?!"
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #10956 on: February 15, 2013, 10:08:43 PM »
That's exactly it!  ;D  I appreciate the sentiment, but not the guilt.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #10957 on: February 15, 2013, 10:59:47 PM »
I hate how some of my guy friends can't be in a relationship and still manage to talk to me as a friend. You don't have to go from chatting with me all the time to completely giving me the cold shoulder and answering everything with a yes or a no because you're in a relationship. We can still be friends. Granted, the two guys I'm thinking of had a flirty-friendship vibe with me, but it was a great dynamic that wasn't ever going anywhere. We never so much as shook hands. I guess it just feels weird being cut off cold turkey.

I have been through this! My friend C and I were pretty close. He confided in me, we went to lunch on a regular basis. We had our spiritual beliefs in common as well, we were both oranges. Suddenly, C became distant and stopped talking to everyone he used to be pals with. C converted to being a purple and he became engaged, then married.

Over two years later, we are finally easing back into the friendship we had. I missed C!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #10958 on: February 15, 2013, 11:09:19 PM »

Suggestion: Next time salmon's on sale, buy some for him.  He'll see you're serious about it being okay with you.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #10959 on: February 16, 2013, 12:31:45 AM »
That's a very good idea.  :)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #10960 on: February 16, 2013, 02:38:57 AM »

Will you marry me?

Hmm...I'm already married. Having said that, however, my husband wouldn't know a comma splice from a hole in the ground. Let me think about it. ;D
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Emmy

« Reply #10961 on: February 16, 2013, 07:10:51 AM »
Many pots, pans, and dishes do not have a size printed on them.  When I make a recipe requiring a '4 qt crockpot' or a '2 qt casserole dish' I just have to render my best guest.  I do have a ruler to measure the size of baking dishes.  I just wish they would print the size on the dish, it would be so helpful.

I have a FB friend who keeps giving me 'friend suggestions'.  These are people that I have never met, don't know, and have no interest in friending.  It's easy to just press ignore, but still a minor annoyance.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10962 on: February 16, 2013, 10:09:29 AM »
Many pots, pans, and dishes do not have a size printed on them.  When I make a recipe requiring a '4 qt crockpot' or a '2 qt casserole dish' I just have to render my best guest.  I do have a ruler to measure the size of baking dishes.  I just wish they would print the size on the dish, it would be so helpful.

I have a FB friend who keeps giving me 'friend suggestions'.  These are people that I have never met, don't know, and have no interest in friending.  It's easy to just press ignore, but still a minor annoyance.

At some point when you aren't in the middle of cooking, take a quart measuring cup, fill it with water and pour it out into the vessel you want to measure. Repeat until the vessel is full, then make a note someplace how many quarts it took to fill.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10963 on: February 16, 2013, 10:49:29 AM »
There are 32 ounces in an American quart, which is 4 cups.  (In case you don't have a quart measuring cup.)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Adelaide

« Reply #10964 on: February 16, 2013, 10:53:50 AM »
Speaking of the metric system, the U.S. needs to just go ahead and adopt it. I spent four years of college using it every day and now that I'm on my own and I'm cooking, I want to use it. I can estimate milliliters and grams but have a hard time with cups and ounces.