Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1302243 times)

Luci45

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10965 on: February 16, 2013, 10:58:06 AM »
Many pots, pans, and dishes do not have a size printed on them.  When I make a recipe requiring a '4 qt crockpot' or a '2 qt casserole dish' I just have to render my best guest.  I do have a ruler to measure the size of baking dishes.  I just wish they would print the size on the dish, it would be so helpful.

I have a FB friend who keeps giving me 'friend suggestions'.  These are people that I have never met, don't know, and have no interest in friending.  It's easy to just press ignore, but still a minor annoyance.

I measured many of my dishes as Black Delphinium does, but I also put the dish on my favorite recipes: Brown baking dish, Gold casserole, etc.

If on the sidebar of Facebook is where you are getting you Friend Suggestions, it is Facebook generating them. Mine got stuck on friends of my SIL for several weeks, so it seemed as if she was sending them. It's finally moved on to friends of another friend.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10966 on: February 16, 2013, 11:04:01 AM »
Speaking of the metric system, the U.S. needs to just go ahead and adopt it. I spent four years of college using it every day and now that I'm on my own and I'm cooking, I want to use it. I can estimate milliliters and grams but have a hard time with cups and ounces.

This is a battle we have been having for 50 years that I know of. Most of us who have worked with the metric system agree with you. I've only worked with it for a couple of science courses and I was really excited in the 1960's when it was seriously being discussed again. My husband comes from a long line of scientists.

Sigh.   :(

mmswm

« Reply #10967 on: February 16, 2013, 12:01:31 PM »
Speaking of the metric system, the U.S. needs to just go ahead and adopt it. I spent four years of college using it every day and now that I'm on my own and I'm cooking, I want to use it. I can estimate milliliters and grams but have a hard time with cups and ounces.

This is a battle we have been having for 50 years that I know of. Most of us who have worked with the metric system agree with you. I've only worked with it for a couple of science courses and I was really excited in the 1960's when it was seriously being discussed again. My husband comes from a long line of scientists.

I distinctly remember the day in the 3rd grade when I was first introduced to metric system. I had this moment of pure joy, then confusion.  The joy was because this makes sense, and was so amazingly easy.  The confusion was because I couldn't understand why, if there was such an amazingly simple, wonderful system of measurement, did we use the imperial system at all.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #10968 on: February 16, 2013, 12:25:48 PM »
I doubt the US will ever fully convert to the scientific system of measurement. I do wish it would happen, since I know both systems and use them often.

For kitchenwares, a 9"x13" casserole dish is 3 quarts. This website has a good reference chart: http://www.joyofbaking.com/PanSizes.html

Carotte

« Reply #10969 on: February 16, 2013, 01:08:37 PM »

I distinctly remember the day in the 3rd grade when I was first introduced to metric system. I had this moment of pure joy, then confusion.  The joy was because this makes sense, and was so amazingly easy.  The confusion was because I couldn't understand why, if there was such an amazingly simple, wonderful system of measurement, did we use the imperial system at all.

I learned that I shouldn't talk about cups in presence of my SO, for him that not a real unit* and unless I want to see him rant and rant and get mad it's best left alone. Then there was also the time that him and some friends started talking about it and decided that actually a base 7 unit would be better because blah blah blah** - I think they miss the point entirely, that it's not about being more precise for scientific measurements, it's about being easier to handle by the masses and people who think that a gallon of 50 water and another gallon of 50 water gets you two gallon of 100 water.

* things got better when I explained that a cup is a cup, always 250ml and not something that will vary. I use them when baking since I get my recipes from the web, usually in British or American blogs, so he'll have to get used to it.
**hanging out with mathematicians and informaticians when I'm far from one often finds me shutting of a large part of their discusion, so it could have been a base 16 or a banana for all I care.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10970 on: February 16, 2013, 03:17:36 PM »
customers during sales. In my store, our latest sale began the day after Christmas. Markdowns plus an additional % off, which has increased every so often, so now its an additional 70% off the lowest price. But it also means we don't have much left, either in stores or online. that's the nature of clearance.

Yet that doesn't stop customers from coming in, taking an hour to peruse one or two racks, another 45 mins to try on, leaving it all in heaps on the floor, and coming back out to meticulously pick through the sale, as if it was somehow magically replenished.

Then there are those who ask "how much, how much, how much?" and want you to tell them the price of each item (we take the % off at the register, manually)

And those who want us to call 10+ stores, and spend a ton of time, hunting down one item. we don't do that. we can call one or two, but that's it. we simply don't have time to spend on the phone like that for clearance items. and its our policy.

and finally, those who don't get that we cannot adjust the price of something you bought at 50 or 60% off, now that's 70 off. the ONLY time we do adjustments is when its bought at full price, THEN marked down, and even then, they only have 14 days. but that doesn't stop them from asking umpteen times, as if the answer might change.

Can you tell i'm happy the sale is over next week?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #10971 on: February 16, 2013, 05:42:42 PM »
When you've checked the dictionary and know that you've spelled something right but it still looks wrong. 
I'm always doing this. The other day I typed up tags for math and reading stations. By the time I typed station 16 times (8 math 8 reading), I wasn't sure how to spell station. I ran spell check, I googled the spelling - and still had a coworker check it before I put up the stations.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Snooks

« Reply #10972 on: February 16, 2013, 06:36:12 PM »
The "Never shopping there again" thread reminded me of this.  Salesmen who try to tell me that I should do something because "Everyone else does this".  The man who tried to sell me a wedding band that I specifically said I didn't want and the man at the bank who questioned the fact that we have a joint bank account fall into this group.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10973 on: February 21, 2013, 09:01:42 PM »
A couple of things are driving me batty right about now.

1 - Semi truck drivers who tailgate.  I really don't want a semi so close behind me that I can hear the gears shifting!  For some reason it's really bad on my drive home.  Semis kind of scare me anyway, so having one tailgating me during rush hour is just terrifying!

2 - People who answer the phone with "Yeah" or "What do you want?" or "Who the eHell is this?".  Really?  It's so hard to just say "Hello"?

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #10974 on: February 21, 2013, 09:17:27 PM »

1 - Semi truck drivers who tailgate.  I really don't want a semi so close behind me that I can hear the gears shifting!  For some reason it's really bad on my drive home.  Semis kind of scare me anyway, so having one tailgating me during rush hour is just terrifying!

2 - People who answer the phone with "Yeah" or "What do you want?" or "Who the eHell is this?".  Really?  It's so hard to just say "Hello"?

I am guilty of the second but only with people I know well and who know I'm kidding when I do it.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

mmswm

« Reply #10975 on: February 21, 2013, 10:07:28 PM »

I am guilty of the second but only with people I know well and who know I'm kidding when I do it.

I'm horrible about answering the phone with "Joe's Pizza" or "City Morgue".  I only do it when it' a good friend or family member who I know won't be offended.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10976 on: February 22, 2013, 07:30:03 AM »

I'm horrible about answering the phone with "Joe's Pizza" or "City Morgue".  I only do it when it' a good friend or family member who I know won't be offended.

I'm not talking about that...I'm talking about when it's a number you don't know/recognize!  That's when it drives me up a wall - why on earth would you say something like that to someone you don't even know?!

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10977 on: February 22, 2013, 08:02:22 AM »
The unnecessary apostrophe.  That's probably been covered before, no doubt by me :D but I'm seeing it even in places where the writer has gotten it right earlier in the sentence.   "We had a lovely fruit salad with apples, strawberries, and banana's."  ARGH!!!!

The misplaced hyphen is getting to me. In your sentence, it'd be "We had a lovely fruit-salad." I don't know why some people think that any adjective / noun combo has to have a hyphen in there, but there you go.
Words mean things.

MonteCristo

• My Esty Shop
« Reply #10978 on: February 22, 2013, 10:28:40 AM »
People who use the wrong words.  Not mispronunciation, or random mistakes, but always using the wrong word.  For example, my boss says "ideals" when she means "ideas" and another coworkers says "activity" for "nativity" and "likes" for "lacks". 

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10979 on: February 22, 2013, 10:36:10 AM »
The unnecessary apostrophe.  That's probably been covered before, no doubt by me :D but I'm seeing it even in places where the writer has gotten it right earlier in the sentence.   "We had a lovely fruit salad with apples, strawberries, and banana's."  ARGH!!!!

The misplaced hyphen is getting to me. In your sentence, it'd be "We had a lovely fruit-salad." I don't know why some people think that any adjective / noun combo has to have a hyphen in there, but there you go.

And even worse than the hyphen is when people just jam the words together into one word. Fruitsalad, hotsauce, weightloss. I know some of these will probably be one word in a hundred years and no one will care, but for now it drives me nuts.