Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1546883 times)

Shalamar

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10980 on: February 22, 2013, 10:45:31 AM »
My mother-in-law pronounces "antipasto" as "antipasta" and "margarine" as "mar-jeen".  If I liked her, I'd probably think it was cute.  I ... do not.  :)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10981 on: February 22, 2013, 10:50:48 AM »
I probably mentioned this hundreds of pages ago but when someone says "pacific" when meaning "specific" or "axe" for "ask."

A co-worker (as opposed to a colleague) years ago did this.  Every day I was thanking Someone she never had contact with our clients.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #10982 on: February 22, 2013, 11:28:04 AM »
Getting up to make coffee, and finding an inch or so of yesterday's coffee still in the pot.  *imitates Ernest P. Worrell* Eeeewwwwwww!

Okay, it's not that big a deal.  It takes two minutes to wash the coffee pot and filter.  Tops.  And I've been known to re-heat coffee that was made earlier in the day.  But the thought of drinking coffee from yesterday kind of makes me gag.

mmswm

« Reply #10983 on: February 22, 2013, 11:30:19 AM »
Getting up to make coffee, and finding an inch or so of yesterday's coffee still in the pot.  *imitates Ernest P. Worrell* Eeeewwwwwww!

Okay, it's not that big a deal.  It takes two minutes to wash the coffee pot and filter.  Tops.  And I've been known to re-heat coffee that was made earlier in the day.  But the thought of drinking coffee from yesterday kind of makes me gag.

Yesterday's coffee is an ingredient in my sausage gravy.  Granted I usually stick it in the fridge so it's not left out overnight.  At any rate, I've made sausage gravy with fresh coffee and it's just not as good.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #10984 on: February 22, 2013, 11:59:56 AM »
Hm, that's an idea...

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10985 on: February 22, 2013, 12:09:13 PM »

Naturally I had to look up Ernest P. Worrell saying "ewww" and got a good giggle so thanks! :)

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #10986 on: February 22, 2013, 12:16:45 PM »
The unnecessary apostrophe.  That's probably been covered before, no doubt by me :D but I'm seeing it even in places where the writer has gotten it right earlier in the sentence.   "We had a lovely fruit salad with apples, strawberries, and banana's."  ARGH!!!!

The misplaced hyphen is getting to me. In your sentence, it'd be "We had a lovely fruit-salad." I don't know why some people think that any adjective / noun combo has to have a hyphen in there, but there you go.

And even worse than the hyphen is when people just jam the words together into one word. Fruitsalad, hotsauce, weightloss. I know some of these will probably be one word in a hundred years and no one will care, but for now it drives me nuts.

::Raises hand::  Healthcare.  Some people insist it's two words, but when referring to the healthcare system (as opposed to where you go to get health care), I always stick 'em together.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #10987 on: February 22, 2013, 12:22:52 PM »
A couple of things are driving me batty right about now.

1 - Semi truck drivers who tailgate.  I really don't want a semi so close behind me that I can hear the gears shifting!  For some reason it's really bad on my drive home.  Semis kind of scare me anyway, so having one tailgating me during rush hour is just terrifying!

2 - People who answer the phone with "Yeah" or "What do you want?" or "Who the eHell is this?".  Really?  It's so hard to just say "Hello"?

I am guilty of the second but only with people I know well and who know I'm kidding when I do it.

I'm horrible about answering the phone with "Joe's Pizza" or "City Morgue".  I only do it when it' a good friend or family member who I know won't be offended.

I'm not talking about that...I'm talking about when it's a number you don't know/recognize!  That's when it drives me up a wall - why on earth would you say something like that to someone you don't even know?!

I was not quite that rude, but I saw a number that had the same first 6 digits as my sons, so I did not use my professional greeting. However, it was someone I know and it worked out.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10988 on: February 22, 2013, 12:35:06 PM »

Yesterday's coffee is an ingredient in my sausage gravy.  Granted I usually stick it in the fridge so it's not left out overnight.  At any rate, I've made sausage gravy with fresh coffee and it's just not as good.

Any chocolate dessert can benefit from a 1/1 coffee to water exchange. Brownies are great, but with coffee instead of water, they are bliss!

mmswm

« Reply #10989 on: February 22, 2013, 12:38:27 PM »

Any chocolate dessert can benefit from a 1/1 coffee to water exchange. Brownies are great, but with coffee instead of water, they are bliss!

Can you do this with boxed brownies?  My mother took advantage of a BOGO sale on boxed brownies.  Now, I do like to keep that stuff around for the kids to make, to give them kitchen experience.  If they're using boxed stuff, I figure that gives them practice measuring, mixing, setting up pans, and stuff like that, but if they ruin them, it's not quite as expensive as if they were starting from scratch.  Now we have a TON of boxed stuff, and I don't like the box mixes as much as real brownies, so I'm not sure if I should let the kids go on a baking bonanza or try to alter them a bit.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10990 on: February 22, 2013, 12:55:27 PM »
Yes, I replace water with coffee, and oil with reduced fat sour cream or Greek yogurt. Yum. I baked a double batch for Valentine's day, in an 11" by 17" pan, let them cool then topped them with homemade caramel and sugar pearls. No brownies were left behind.

mmswm

« Reply #10991 on: February 22, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »
I will definitely be trying that!

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #10992 on: February 22, 2013, 01:28:48 PM »
And even worse than the hyphen is when people just jam the words together into one word. Fruitsalad, hotsauce, weightloss. I know some of these will probably be one word in a hundred years and no one will care, but for now it drives me nuts.

Highschool, nevermind, rockstar. Ugh!  >:(

Back to hyphens for a moment, though: I keep seeing inappropriately hyphenated ages in online articles. I'm talking about stuff like, "The victim of the crime was 34-years-old." It puts me into Grumpy Cat mode every time.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10993 on: February 22, 2013, 02:13:01 PM »

Highschool, nevermind, rockstar. Ugh!  >:(

Back to hyphens for a moment, though: I keep seeing inappropriately hyphenated ages in online articles. I'm talking about stuff like, "The victim of the crime was 34-years-old." It puts me into Grumpy Cat mode every time.
Nevermind is correct...

...provided it is a capitalized noun, referring to the second studio album of the band Nirvana.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10994 on: February 22, 2013, 02:19:43 PM »
Yes, I replace water with coffee, and oil with reduced fat sour cream or Greek yogurt. Yum. I baked a double batch for Valentine's day, in an 11" by 17" pan, let them cool then topped them with homemade caramel and sugar pearls. No brownies were left behind.

Does that make them taste like Duncan Hines Sour Cream Chocolate Cake (which disappeared years ago)?