News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 06:39:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5496492 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10920 on: February 22, 2013, 11:16:45 AM »
The unnecessary apostrophe.  That's probably been covered before, no doubt by me :D but I'm seeing it even in places where the writer has gotten it right earlier in the sentence.   "We had a lovely fruit salad with apples, strawberries, and banana's."  ARGH!!!!

The misplaced hyphen is getting to me. In your sentence, it'd be "We had a lovely fruit-salad." I don't know why some people think that any adjective / noun combo has to have a hyphen in there, but there you go.

And even worse than the hyphen is when people just jam the words together into one word. Fruitsalad, hotsauce, weightloss. I know some of these will probably be one word in a hundred years and no one will care, but for now it drives me nuts.

::Raises hand::  Healthcare.  Some people insist it's two words, but when referring to the healthcare system (as opposed to where you go to get health care), I always stick 'em together.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #10921 on: February 22, 2013, 11:22:52 AM »
A couple of things are driving me batty right about now.

1 - Semi truck drivers who tailgate.  I really don't want a semi so close behind me that I can hear the gears shifting!  For some reason it's really bad on my drive home.  Semis kind of scare me anyway, so having one tailgating me during rush hour is just terrifying!

2 - People who answer the phone with "Yeah" or "What do you want?" or "Who the eHell is this?".  Really?  It's so hard to just say "Hello"?

I am guilty of the second but only with people I know well and who know I'm kidding when I do it.

I'm horrible about answering the phone with "Joe's Pizza" or "City Morgue".  I only do it when it' a good friend or family member who I know won't be offended.

I'm not talking about that...I'm talking about when it's a number you don't know/recognize!  That's when it drives me up a wall - why on earth would you say something like that to someone you don't even know?!

I was not quite that rude, but I saw a number that had the same first 6 digits as my sons, so I did not use my professional greeting. However, it was someone I know and it worked out.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

ladyknight1

« Reply #10922 on: February 22, 2013, 11:35:06 AM »
Getting up to make coffee, and finding an inch or so of yesterday's coffee still in the pot.  *imitates Ernest P. Worrell* Eeeewwwwwww!

Okay, it's not that big a deal.  It takes two minutes to wash the coffee pot and filter.  Tops.  And I've been known to re-heat coffee that was made earlier in the day.  But the thought of drinking coffee from yesterday kind of makes me gag.

Yesterday's coffee is an ingredient in my sausage gravy.  Granted I usually stick it in the fridge so it's not left out overnight.  At any rate, I've made sausage gravy with fresh coffee and it's just not as good.

Any chocolate dessert can benefit from a 1/1 coffee to water exchange. Brownies are great, but with coffee instead of water, they are bliss!
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

mmswm

« Reply #10923 on: February 22, 2013, 11:38:27 AM »
Getting up to make coffee, and finding an inch or so of yesterday's coffee still in the pot.  *imitates Ernest P. Worrell* Eeeewwwwwww!

Okay, it's not that big a deal.  It takes two minutes to wash the coffee pot and filter.  Tops.  And I've been known to re-heat coffee that was made earlier in the day.  But the thought of drinking coffee from yesterday kind of makes me gag.

Yesterday's coffee is an ingredient in my sausage gravy.  Granted I usually stick it in the fridge so it's not left out overnight.  At any rate, I've made sausage gravy with fresh coffee and it's just not as good.

Any chocolate dessert can benefit from a 1/1 coffee to water exchange. Brownies are great, but with coffee instead of water, they are bliss!

Can you do this with boxed brownies?  My mother took advantage of a BOGO sale on boxed brownies.  Now, I do like to keep that stuff around for the kids to make, to give them kitchen experience.  If they're using boxed stuff, I figure that gives them practice measuring, mixing, setting up pans, and stuff like that, but if they ruin them, it's not quite as expensive as if they were starting from scratch.  Now we have a TON of boxed stuff, and I don't like the box mixes as much as real brownies, so I'm not sure if I should let the kids go on a baking bonanza or try to alter them a bit.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ladyknight1

« Reply #10924 on: February 22, 2013, 11:55:27 AM »
Yes, I replace water with coffee, and oil with reduced fat sour cream or Greek yogurt. Yum. I baked a double batch for Valentine's day, in an 11" by 17" pan, let them cool then topped them with homemade caramel and sugar pearls. No brownies were left behind.
-J.R.R Tolkien

mmswm

« Reply #10925 on: February 22, 2013, 12:24:45 PM »
I will definitely be trying that!
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #10926 on: February 22, 2013, 12:28:48 PM »
And even worse than the hyphen is when people just jam the words together into one word. Fruitsalad, hotsauce, weightloss. I know some of these will probably be one word in a hundred years and no one will care, but for now it drives me nuts.

Highschool, nevermind, rockstar. Ugh!  >:(

Back to hyphens for a moment, though: I keep seeing inappropriately hyphenated ages in online articles. I'm talking about stuff like, "The victim of the crime was 34-years-old." It puts me into Grumpy Cat mode every time.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
« Reply #10927 on: February 22, 2013, 01:13:01 PM »

Highschool, nevermind, rockstar. Ugh!  >:(

Back to hyphens for a moment, though: I keep seeing inappropriately hyphenated ages in online articles. I'm talking about stuff like, "The victim of the crime was 34-years-old." It puts me into Grumpy Cat mode every time.
Nevermind is correct...

...provided it is a capitalized noun, referring to the second studio album of the band Nirvana.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10928 on: February 22, 2013, 01:19:43 PM »
Yes, I replace water with coffee, and oil with reduced fat sour cream or Greek yogurt. Yum. I baked a double batch for Valentine's day, in an 11" by 17" pan, let them cool then topped them with homemade caramel and sugar pearls. No brownies were left behind.

Does that make them taste like Duncan Hines Sour Cream Chocolate Cake (which disappeared years ago)?

ladyknight1

« Reply #10929 on: February 22, 2013, 01:40:56 PM »
I use sour cream in a lot of baking, as it acidifies the batter, leaving it a softer texture.
-J.R.R Tolkien

Luci

« Reply #10930 on: February 22, 2013, 04:42:25 PM »
Do you always tell people there is coffee in the brownies? Coffee really makes me ill. I got sick from the odor walking into Duknin' Donuts one time, and a visit to Starbucks on a tour when it was the only place around made me sick.

I can't imagine looking forward to a brownie and getting hit my a taste of coffe. I had that happen with gravy once, so I always have to ask now. (Yes! Don't give me that nonsense about "you can't really taste it". I certainly can.)

I do hope you all enjoy your brownies, though. Just warn me!

ladyknight1

« Reply #10931 on: February 23, 2013, 08:30:15 PM »
I've never had anyone ask, but I would tell them. I use coffee in many desserts and my husband's favorite Kahlua cake.

I have cut back on other common allergens, nuts and peanut butter.

Luci, be careful with steaks, as rubbing them with coffee is very popular at some restaurants and grocery store cooking kiosks.
-J.R.R Tolkien

siamesecat2965

« Reply #10932 on: February 24, 2013, 02:21:47 PM »
People, who upon hearing you are meeting up with a friend of the opposite gender, immediately think there is a spark, when there isn't.

BG: I had a neighbor, who I saw around my complex, and chit chatted with, on and off for a couple years after I moved in. I'd see him in the laundry room, etc. and we'd exchange pleasantries, talk about football, etc. So one day I realized i never knew his name, and introduced myself. ANd he did the same. Also, my team was in the playoffs that day, and lost. Came home to find a note saying sorry about the loss, and giving me his email.

Ok great, so i emailed him, general stuff, and he asked if I'd be interested in having dinner sometime. ok, sure. so over a couple more emails, i ask how long he'd lived in the complex. he then tells me he and his WIFE had been there x years. Oh no, sorry, no dinner, I don't go there.  over time, come to find out its not a happy marriage, and he is interested in some extracurricular scrabble.  nope, sorry. I don't play that game.

FF a few years, he moves out, they get divorced. we still keep in touch via FB, and an occasional email. we've tried to meet up before for dinner, but never worked out, so today we had brunch.  end BG

I had several people who knew about his prior advances, tell me i should a. keep an open mind that you never know what might develop, and b. not to be so sure that i'm not interested. because I'm not. I might have been, at one time, before i knew he had a DW, but now, none at all. yet i was all but chastised for thinking that way. 

I think I'm old enough to know what I like and don't. And for the record, we had a nice time catching up, and a nice brunch, but that was it.

Adelaide

« Reply #10933 on: February 24, 2013, 02:50:39 PM »
I hate the feeling of everyone's eyes being on you at law school. Of everyone being up in each other's business. I walked into a room filled exclusively with third-year students in suits the other day while I was wearing my "weekend warrior" gear so I could slog through hours worth of reading in the library. Unfortunately, I knew all of them and they all knew exactly who I was.  One girl asked me if I was ill. :P

On that vein, it's extremely difficult to ask someone out in this place. It's like as soon as you do everyone knows about it, so I'm not really looking forward to the backlash after I do. This place has REALLY shrunk. At least it seems like it has.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #10934 on: February 24, 2013, 03:37:51 PM »
I hated it when friends of my parents called each other 'Mother' and 'Father', but I have since learned that was common in that generation in that area, and as bizarre as it is, at least it it respectful and not cutesy.

We have a fair few people in our area who refer to each other this way, and it's not the older generation. It's mostly people with kids under 10, and they also refer to their children as "sister" and "brother" rather than by name. Even when there's more than one child of each gender. It's more common to hear sister and brother for the kids than parents also calling each other mother and father, but both are relatively common.

It doesn't so much drive me up a wall as creep me out in a way I can't entirely put my finger on. I know the biggest thing for me is that it seems to depersonalize everyone in the family. That's not my sister Suzy, that's just "sister," a role that could be easily filled if Suzy were to disappear. I don't believe any of the parents who use these terms intend them this way - not even the ones who creep me out for other, more concrete reasons - but that's what it triggers in me every time I hear it.

My mom often called me "Sissy" growing up, and while I didn't mind per se, I could never figure out why only I got called "sissy" and none of my sisters did, because they were as much "sisters" in the family as I was, and my name doesn't have Sissy as a nickname either. I found out yeeeeaaaaars later that in the South there's A Thing of calling the oldest girl "Sister" or "Sissy" as a title. My mom is an oldest sister herself and probably picked it up from my grandmother, who really was Southern. But no one did that in the area where we actually lived, so it made my head hurt at the time.

My mom and aunt called each other "Sister" to the point that the sentence "Where is Sister, Kim?" (meaning where is MY mother) made perfect sense.

My cousin (actually that Aunt's daughter) refered to her two kids as "Sister" and "Brother" It kinda stuck, in the sense that a lot of the family call them that, even if they aren't OUR Sister/Brother. I even made a tshirt for my cousin that says "Sister" in big sparkly pink caligraphy... then got a complaint for the other one "Where was HIS shirt?"

So I made a second... in big sparkly blue caligraphy. He actually wore it until he couldn't fit in it anymore.  :P Suddenly I know what their Xmas gifts this year will be...