News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 10:49:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5495287 times)

laud_shy_girl

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10965 on: February 27, 2013, 11:27:01 AM »
My mother-in-law pronounces "antipasto" as "antipasta" and "margarine" as "mar-jeen".  If I liked her, I'd probably think it was cute.  I ... do not.  :)

I do like my MIL and the way she pronounces things still drive me bonkers.  Some of it is regional accent and some is just...I have no idea.

Valentime's Day
Libarry
dubya dubya dubya (I'll give a cookie to whomever can figure that out!  It took me a while.)

Everything with a "th" at the end gets a hard "t".  Booth = boot.  Teeth = teet.  This is doubly annoying because my kids are now pronouncing and spelling things this way.  Then I have run the risk of her thinking I'm a jerk when I make sure they know the correct pronunciation/spelling so they don't get marked down in school.

Don't even get me started on double negatives.  Another awesome opportunity for me to look like the grammar police.   ::)

WWW?
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Betelnut

« Reply #10966 on: February 27, 2013, 11:36:57 AM »
This is a very little thing but...mishapen toilet rolls.  When I pull on the toilet roll to get some paper, since the cardboard toilet paper thingy is not perfectly round, I get: Thump! Thump! Thump!  Very annoying.  Trying to reshape it doesn't really help.

What a strange thing to be bugged by but there you are...
Native Texan, Marylander currently

siamesecat2965

« Reply #10967 on: February 27, 2013, 11:40:56 AM »
I think HPs are the  way they are because everything relating to children is so competitive these days.  Parents in our neighborhood are paranoid about their children getting into the 'proper' Pre-School.  Everything must be managed to give the child the best possible chance. It's insane!

Hehe - have you seen the documentary "Nursery University"? About NYC parents who went to great lengths to get their child into the "right" preschool. And their reactions when some did not gt into or ever rate an application to them! Wow.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #10968 on: February 27, 2013, 11:43:47 AM »
I think HPs are the  way they are because everything relating to children is so competitive these days.  Parents in our neighborhood are paranoid about their children getting into the 'proper' Pre-School.  Everything must be managed to give the child the best possible chance. It's insane!

I would agree.  Helicopter Moms and Dads are applying the competitiveness they learned in the workforce and applying it to the Mom role.  The Mommy Olympics is really cutthroat!  I get hit with the shrapnel sometimes and I don't even have children.

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10969 on: February 27, 2013, 12:16:44 PM »
HP #1 is a control freak. Plain and simple, When said child was still in HS, and I'm talking jr. and sr. years, she still had to call when she was leaving schoool, call when she got home or whatever destination seh was going to, call when she was leaving for the next one, and when she arrived back home. She would also call said child during days off from school, and berate her for sleeping in, watching tv, and so on. Child is flaky and scatterbrained, so there have been many long, drawn out, phone calls about losing and forgetting things, and so on.

The lastest issue was child has money she's earned in the summers etc. But since she has no clue how to budget or anthing like that, mom puts money in her account on a regular basis. but she will spend money earmarked for books on b-day presents for friends, eating out, etc. I said why not just give it all to her, if she spends it all, let HER figure it out. But she can't give up that control.

I wonder whether this mother was trying to get the daughter to believe she was incompetent and helpless without her, because that's what she got.  She must have created massive insecurity in her by creating the inability to make sensible decisions and experience the consequences of her actions.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #10970 on: February 27, 2013, 01:28:11 PM »
My mother-in-law pronounces "antipasto" as "antipasta" and "margarine" as "mar-jeen".  If I liked her, I'd probably think it was cute.  I ... do not.  :)

I do like my MIL and the way she pronounces things still drive me bonkers.  Some of it is regional accent and some is just...I have no idea.

Valentime's Day
Libarry
dubya dubya dubya (I'll give a cookie to whomever can figure that out!  It took me a while.)

Everything with a "th" at the end gets a hard "t".  Booth = boot.  Teeth = teet.  This is doubly annoying because my kids are now pronouncing and spelling things this way.  Then I have run the risk of her thinking I'm a jerk when I make sure they know the correct pronunciation/spelling so they don't get marked down in school.

Don't even get me started on double negatives.  Another awesome opportunity for me to look like the grammar police.   ::)

WWW?

Yep.  That's what she calls websites.  "What's the dubya dubya dubya for Target?"  I had no idea what she was talking about the first time she asked.

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10971 on: February 27, 2013, 02:09:55 PM »
She must be related to my friend Blanche, who would ask me "What's the earl for that?" 

Me:  The what?
Her:  The earl.
Me:  Excuse me?
Her:  The website name or whatever.
Me:  That's U-R-L.  Nobody says "earl."
Her:  Well, that's what I call it.

::)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #10972 on: February 27, 2013, 02:12:19 PM »
She must be related to my friend Blanche, who would ask me "What's the earl for that?" 

Me:  The what?
Her:  The earl.
Me:  Excuse me?
Her:  The website name or whatever.
Me:  That's U-R-L.  Nobody says "earl."
Her:  Well, that's what I call it.

::)

...I called it that for years, because it was faster, and most people knew what I meant. Granted, I'd also been told as a child that that was the proper pronounciation. Now I just say "website."
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

snowflake

« Reply #10973 on: February 27, 2013, 02:16:02 PM »

I would agree.  Helicopter Moms and Dads are applying the competitiveness they learned in the workforce and applying it to the Mom role.  The Mommy Olympics is really cutthroat!  I get hit with the shrapnel sometimes and I don't even have children.

I don't think you need to be in the Mommy Olympics to be a helicopter parent.  Where I grew up, there were several parents who who expected their kids to be hairstylists or construction workers.  (Not that those aren't good jobs, but not the stuff of people who get competitive about preschools.)  But that didn't stop them from hovering, hovering, micromanaging, and keeping them immature.

Sometimes if someone feels that they have never been able to control life, they feel like they have to control their kids.

About five years ago I had a discussion with someone who grew up in such a home and plans to do the same for her children.  I very nearly started throwing things because it drives me up the wall.  I do not talk to anyone about this now because I want to stay sane.

Snooks

« Reply #10974 on: February 27, 2013, 04:09:32 PM »
HP #1 is a control freak. Plain and simple, When said child was still in HS, and I'm talking jr. and sr. years, she still had to call when she was leaving schoool, call when she got home or whatever destination seh was going to, call when she was leaving for the next one, and when she arrived back home. She would also call said child during days off from school, and berate her for sleeping in, watching tv, and so on. Child is flaky and scatterbrained, so there have been many long, drawn out, phone calls about losing and forgetting things, and so on.

The lastest issue was child has money she's earned in the summers etc. But since she has no clue how to budget or anthing like that, mom puts money in her account on a regular basis. but she will spend money earmarked for books on b-day presents for friends, eating out, etc. I said why not just give it all to her, if she spends it all, let HER figure it out. But she can't give up that control.

<snip>

But I agree. Parents like this are not doing their kids any favors. Sure, I made mistakes, but I'm a firm believer in you LEARN from your mistakes.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine, people need to learn that money is not infinite.  The best quote I heard was from someone who constantly subsidised her 30 year old son "He's just had a huge payrise, he's earning more than me now", yet she was still sending him money!

siamesecat2965

« Reply #10975 on: February 27, 2013, 05:23:29 PM »

<snip>

But I agree. Parents like this are not doing their kids any favors. Sure, I made mistakes, but I'm a firm believer in you LEARN from your mistakes.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine, people need to learn that money is not infinite.  The best quote I heard was from someone who constantly subsidised her 30 year old son "He's just had a huge payrise, he's earning more than me now", yet she was still sending him money!

I wish mine had taught me better about money. i participated in a competitive sport, which took up a lot of my time. so i was never able to have a steady job in HS. but i babysat, house and pet sat, but also gave my mom all my money tgo pay my part of a camp for my sport, that i attended every summer. if i went out, which wasn't often, with friends, my mom gave me money. I wish they had given me a set amount, adn when it was gone, that was it. Today, at age 47, I have huge cc debts, but i'm slowly getting them paid down.  Not saying that's all my parent's fault, but i wish maybe they had given me a bit more guidance in that area

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #10976 on: February 27, 2013, 07:42:50 PM »
My own forgetfulness.  :-[ I went to use the Keurig, and forgot to put a coffee cup underneath.  I was staring at it for a full three seconds before I realized exactly what was wrong.  In my defense, I had just gotten up, and I think I really needed that coffee.  I only wasted about 1/4 of it, so no big deal.  Oopsie!

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #10977 on: February 27, 2013, 08:02:34 PM »
Siamesecat, I had the same problem. My parents dropped me off at college at age 18, with enough money to last a month, set me up a checking account and I was on my own, in another state. I had never held a "real" job before (wasn't allowed). I had only babysat.

It took me a decade to figure it out. DH and I are debt free and don't use credit. I am teaching DS how to manage money already.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

mmswm

« Reply #10978 on: February 27, 2013, 08:23:01 PM »
This is probably a thread of its own, but people taking potshots at my parenting choices.  My mother just got all PA on me because I told youngest DS that he could go to the kitchen and get himself a brownie.  Now, I also told him that if he had any trouble, let me know and I'd help him.  He's confined to a wheelchair right now and the entryway to the kitchen is on the narrow side. Anyway, she's commenting on the fact that "he's hurt" and that I should be "waiting on him."  Um, yes, he's hurt, but this is something that's part of his life with his bone disease.  He will be in and out of a wheelchair his entire life, and it isn't outside of the realm of possibility that it could become permanent.  I believe my job as a mother is to equip my children with the skills they need to be successful and independent when they grow up. For the two kids that have the bone disease, one of those skills is managing wheelchairs and other mobility aids.  As such, yes, I will most definitely allow him to go get his own dang brownie!

Discussions like these have been driving me crazy all day.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #10979 on: February 27, 2013, 08:28:25 PM »
That would make me crazy too.  My kids don't even have any issues affecting mobility and my parents used to accuse me of being "lazy" because I'd let them get certain snacks out of the fridge for themselves, like pieces of fruit, fruit cups or string cheese.  It wasn't like I'd let them help themselves and it was only certain items.  But I never saw anything wrong with them snacking on healthy things between meals, or getting it for themselves, as long as they asked first.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata