Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1708177 times)

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11055 on: March 01, 2013, 11:09:25 AM »
New FB meme: "Can you name a <thing> that doesn't have a <letter> in it? I'll be you can't!" One recent one was "Can you name a city in California that doesn't have an 'E' in it?" Well, yes, I can. Dozens. It's not very hard unless you know absolutely nothing of California geography. The others are similar -- if you have a vocabulary of more than 10 words, these aren't hard.

So, what's the point of this? To annoy people? If that's true, then they're succeeding. I don't like this junk crowding out my political rants and pictures of otters/owls/puppies/kittens. Leave room for the important stuff on FB!  >:D

I guess they're counting on people not thinking of San Francisco? That's not a major CA city at all.   ::)
Or, you know, Hollywood.

lol.  That too.  San Francisco was the first city that popped into my head, and I didn't think beyond that.  Far too much effort before my first pot of coffee.

Oh, yes.  The first one I saw was about naming a movie without an "S" in it.  The very first movie that popped into my head, without even trying, was Braveheart.  I thought maybe there was something I was missing (like it was a trick question), and I'm relieved to know it wasn't just me!
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #11056 on: March 01, 2013, 01:23:17 PM »
Amazon. My order hasn't arrived and it is 2 weeks past the estimated delivery date. First, finding the correct link to report this was nearly impossible, as it was buried under a FAQ and the link stated "check the estimated delivery time for your country", not "report a problem" or anything like it (I expected to find a table of countries and deliveries, not a form to complain!). Second, this problem is classified as "Where is my stuff?" which sounds abrupt and rude to my ears. Couldn't they have used "Order not delivered" or standard business wording, instead of trying to sound "cool"?

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11057 on: March 01, 2013, 01:24:38 PM »
Amazon. My order hasn't arrived and it is 2 weeks past the estimated delivery date. First, finding the correct link to report this was nearly impossible, as it was buried under a FAQ and the link stated "check the estimated delivery time for your country", not "report a problem" or anything like it (I expected to find a table of countries and deliveries, not a form to complain!). Second, this problem is classified as "Where is my stuff?" which sounds abrupt and rude to my ears. Couldn't they have used "Order not delivered" or standard business wording, instead of trying to sound "cool"?

I've always been kind of amused by "Where's my stuff?". Because it's usually what I'm thinking anyway. :D But "track my order" is a version I've seen elsewhere.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11058 on: March 01, 2013, 02:41:24 PM »
I was curious about the same thing… they are all super easy.

My Internet Marketer SO explained that the way it is worded means when you come up with an answer, you think you are super clever, so you are more likely to comment on the post.

That means your friends will see that you commented, and the originating page will look popular (and maybe get more fans if your friends follow suit).

It’s all about marketing and exposure.

And annoyance, to you and me.

I suspect you're right about that.  One of the many things that irritate me about fbook.  The other being that apps like Farmville/Farmtown, can't remember which stupid farm game it is but it always claims I played it recently when I haven't in 3 years.  ::)

I've seen that one too and one was a name that doesn't have an E in it.   I could think of several off the top of my head.  Or movies without an S. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #11059 on: March 01, 2013, 02:52:17 PM »
One of the many things that irritate me about fbook.  The other being that apps like Farmville/Farmtown, can't remember which stupid farm game it is but it always claims I played it recently when I haven't in 3 years.  ::)

Facebook is convinced that I live in Nantes, Frances. It's got it marked on a map on my timeline and everything - and it also says that I'm asleep. It's been that way for months and I've got no clue why. I've never even been to France.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11060 on: March 01, 2013, 03:40:27 PM »
Do you have fbook linked to your yahoo account (if you have one, or some other messenger)?  DH had his fbook and yahoo messenger accounts linked and for a while anytime he changed his status on Yahoo it would enter that as his status on fbook. 

So for a few days his status would be "Sleeping" or "At work".  My bff would reply "At home", "Awake", or "Chatting with your wife."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #11061 on: March 01, 2013, 06:28:26 PM »
Fungus gnats
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #11062 on: March 01, 2013, 06:32:16 PM »
Do you have fbook linked to your yahoo account (if you have one, or some other messenger)?  DH had his fbook and yahoo messenger accounts linked and for a while anytime he changed his status on Yahoo it would enter that as his status on fbook. 

So for a few days his status would be "Sleeping" or "At work".  My bff would reply "At home", "Awake", or "Chatting with your wife."

Nope - it's not linked to anything. It's apparently just making stuff up to amuse itself.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

mmswm

« Reply #11063 on: March 01, 2013, 09:19:03 PM »

Nope - it's not linked to anything. It's apparently just making stuff up to amuse itself.

While sitting on three laptops  in the living room of the same house, FB thinks I'm in an area about 5 miles east, my mother is in an area 5 miles south, and my father is in an area about 10 miles north.  If we dig out our iPhones, we get three additional cities, all from the very same living room.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

diesel_darlin

« Reply #11064 on: March 01, 2013, 09:23:53 PM »
My Mom changes locations oftentimes during the same conversation. One minute she will be in hertown, then it will change to town5milesover. Ill ask her if she is texting and driving, and she will say no, that she is laying on the couch!  :o

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #11065 on: March 02, 2013, 02:08:47 AM »
Waxing my eyebrows.  Ow.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #11066 on: March 02, 2013, 03:45:50 AM »
People making up their own definitions for words.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11067 on: March 02, 2013, 07:18:44 AM »
People making up their own definitions for words.

Not to mention pronunciations.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11068 on: March 02, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
When I send an email from either computer, the address shows up on my iPhone. I responded to a party invitation and now I have to delete that one time only address and hope it stays gone. Clutter! It also pulls a sent email address from my contact list and gives it its own line instead of just leaving it in the cantact page under the person. Gr-r-r-r.

Note to self: check email settings.

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #11069 on: March 02, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
An ehell petpeeve: when posters go like 'oh I have been a special snowflake/rude because I did [insert perfectly legitimate thing here]. Random made up example: 'I got violently ill yesterday, so I didn't attend this special engagement party, and called I couldn't attend. I am such a special snowflake!'

Ok, I guess that many people are really insecure, but mean me can't help but thinking 'how can you NOT know that that is perfectly normal and legit behavior?' Super-mean me sometimes wonders if people are ask-bragging about their good behavior (though normal me figures that is likely not the case)

But please don't stop posting such things on my account when you are really insecure. It's just my petpeeve, and petpeeves aren't always rational :p