Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1300460 times)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11070 on: March 02, 2013, 11:55:08 AM »
People making up their own definitions for words.

Not to mention pronunciations.

Ugh, I have an acquaintance who does that with names because it's "fancier!" John becomes Johann, Alice becomes Elyse, Veronica becomes Veronique. She kept trying to call me "Marie Belle" not "Mary Beth" until I put my foot down and said my name was perfectly fine as it is and she had no right to change it.

Now she thinks I'm snobby.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11071 on: March 02, 2013, 12:23:58 PM »
That's why "Tarjay" for Target annoyed me so much for a long time. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11072 on: March 02, 2013, 12:50:52 PM »

Not to mention pronunciations.

Ugh, I have an acquaintance who does that with names because it's "fancier!" John becomes Johann, Alice becomes Elyse, Veronica becomes Veronique. She kept trying to call me "Marie Belle" not "Mary Beth" until I put my foot down and said my name was perfectly fine as it is and she had no right to change it.

Now she thinks I'm snobby.

SnarkyTraska would be tempted to respond to her as "Fluffy Wuffy Silly Fancy Princess Foo Foo Button Berry IX".

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11073 on: March 02, 2013, 01:01:26 PM »
I'm sure I've had people roll their eyes at me when I insist on being called by my given name.  Yes, I know it's a nickname of Ann(e) but not in my case.  I don't care if people think it's too young for a woman my age and Ann is more mature.  It's not my name!  People have even said "Well it can be a nickname for your name!"

I have nothing against the name Ann(e) but I like my own name, thanks. I think it suits me and don't really care if people think it's a "little girl's name".  There are plenty of famous adults named Annie.  Annie Lennox, Annie Potts, Annie Leibovitz, to name a few. 

Mind you it doesn't bother me when it's someone I don't know well but there have been people such as teachers or former friends, or co-irkers who knew me for years and still insisted on calling me Ann.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

diesel_darlin

« Reply #11074 on: March 02, 2013, 01:16:56 PM »
I feel your pain. I share a name with a popular jewelry store, and people constantly want to have breakfast at my house.

Its very rare to find someone that doesnt want to shorten or alter my name.  >:(

Snooks

« Reply #11075 on: March 02, 2013, 01:21:25 PM »
My brother at the moment, or possibly his girlfriend.  I'm not sure which one of them is the cause but it would be nice if just one of them could make half an ounce of effort.

PeterM

« Reply #11076 on: March 02, 2013, 01:49:01 PM »

It's a perfectly cromulent thing to do if you want to embiggen your conversational arsenal.

Okay, not quite the same thing, but what the heck.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11077 on: March 02, 2013, 02:05:48 PM »
That's why "Tarjay" for Target annoyed me so much for a long time.

I thought 'Tarjay' was funny because it was supposed to make the store sound upscale and French.  It's about as French as French dressing and everybody knew it.

A relative who worked in the upper reaches of a retail chain said she also liked the term because Target had an excellent business model that gave it a certain elegance. 

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #11078 on: March 02, 2013, 04:58:05 PM »

It's a perfectly cromulent thing to do if you want to embiggen your conversational arsenal.

Okay, not quite the same thing, but what the heck.

It made me laugh, though  :D

nuit93

« Reply #11079 on: March 02, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
I'm sure I've had people roll their eyes at me when I insist on being called by my given name.  Yes, I know it's a nickname of Ann(e) but not in my case.  I don't care if people think it's too young for a woman my age and Ann is more mature.  It's not my name!  People have even said "Well it can be a nickname for your name!"

I have nothing against the name Ann(e) but I like my own name, thanks. I think it suits me and don't really care if people think it's a "little girl's name".  There are plenty of famous adults named Annie.  Annie Lennox, Annie Potts, Annie Leibovitz, to name a few. 

Mind you it doesn't bother me when it's someone I don't know well but there have been people such as teachers or former friends, or co-irkers who knew me for years and still insisted on calling me Ann.  ::)

But did you insist they spell it with an "e"?

/sorry, been re-reading my favorite childhood novels :)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11080 on: March 02, 2013, 08:00:39 PM »
Actually, there was a time when my supervisor wrote "Anne M" on the wipe off board.  I looked at it, sighed, and remarked to a coworker "Well, at least she spelled it with an 'e'!"

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11081 on: March 03, 2013, 05:20:48 PM »
When my DH doesn't think things through.  Today, for example.  He was complaining this morning that we had too many leftovers from last week that were going to go bad quickly.  So I said, okay, we'll have leftovers for dinner.  We had four pieces of meatloaf, some mashed potatoes, and some pasta w/ meat sauce left over, as well as a couple chicken breasts.  I figured we'd have the meatloaf for dinner, and we could have the pasta or the chicken for lunch.  DH decided the chicken quote "looked suspicious" and threw it out.  Then I hear him microwaving something for lunch.  I look up, and he has all of the meatloaf and mashed potatoes on his plate!  I said, "We were supposed to be having leftovers for dinner - what are you planning to have for dinner now?"  He said, "I was going to have pasta!" (about enough for one person).  I gave him a look  >:( and said, "Okay, so what am I going to have?".  He stopped and said, "Oh, I hadn't gotten that far yet..."  ::)  So now I have to figure out something to actually make for dinner tonight and it's driving me crazy!  If we've discussed having leftovers for dinner and you proceed to toss or eat all our leftovers, it should not come as a surprise that I get upset with you for messing up our plans! 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #11082 on: March 03, 2013, 06:00:54 PM »
YOU eat the pasta, Lady Snowdon.  Let your DuH eat peanut butter sandwiches.  With no jam.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #11083 on: March 03, 2013, 08:52:20 PM »
TV scripts written by women who have never given birth/men who have never watched an actual woman giving birth. 

Scene: almost anywhere. 

Laboring Woman: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
LW's husband, outside the birthing room/covered wagon/tent/cave: What's wrong?  What's happening?  It's taking too long!
Laboring Woman: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
(baby cries)

::) I had two, both without a drop of anything.  (Hey, it was the 70's. Natural births were in.)  If you are screaming, you aren't pushing.  And if you aren't pushing, guess what doesn't happen? 
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #11084 on: March 03, 2013, 08:54:22 PM »
Being cut off mid-sentence then given the cold shoulder when I don't respond to what was said to cut off me.  Well, you obviously thought what I had to say wasn't important enough to finish saying so why should I bother to keep going?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.