News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 20, 2018, 07:10:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5484156 times)

PeterM

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11010 on: March 02, 2013, 12:49:01 PM »
People making up their own definitions for words.

It's a perfectly cromulent thing to do if you want to embiggen your conversational arsenal.

Okay, not quite the same thing, but what the heck.

Thipu1

« Reply #11011 on: March 02, 2013, 01:05:48 PM »
That's why "Tarjay" for Target annoyed me so much for a long time.

I thought 'Tarjay' was funny because it was supposed to make the store sound upscale and French.  It's about as French as French dressing and everybody knew it.

A relative who worked in the upper reaches of a retail chain said she also liked the term because Target had an excellent business model that gave it a certain elegance. 

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #11012 on: March 02, 2013, 03:58:05 PM »
People making up their own definitions for words.

It's a perfectly cromulent thing to do if you want to embiggen your conversational arsenal.

Okay, not quite the same thing, but what the heck.

It made me laugh, though  :D

nuit93

« Reply #11013 on: March 02, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
I'm sure I've had people roll their eyes at me when I insist on being called by my given name.  Yes, I know it's a nickname of Ann(e) but not in my case.  I don't care if people think it's too young for a woman my age and Ann is more mature.  It's not my name!  People have even said "Well it can be a nickname for your name!"

I have nothing against the name Ann(e) but I like my own name, thanks. I think it suits me and don't really care if people think it's a "little girl's name".  There are plenty of famous adults named Annie.  Annie Lennox, Annie Potts, Annie Leibovitz, to name a few. 

Mind you it doesn't bother me when it's someone I don't know well but there have been people such as teachers or former friends, or co-irkers who knew me for years and still insisted on calling me Ann.  ::)

But did you insist they spell it with an "e"?

/sorry, been re-reading my favorite childhood novels :)

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #11014 on: March 02, 2013, 07:00:39 PM »
Actually, there was a time when my supervisor wrote "Anne M" on the wipe off board.  I looked at it, sighed, and remarked to a coworker "Well, at least she spelled it with an 'e'!"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
« Reply #11015 on: March 03, 2013, 04:20:48 PM »
When my DH doesn't think things through.  Today, for example.  He was complaining this morning that we had too many leftovers from last week that were going to go bad quickly.  So I said, okay, we'll have leftovers for dinner.  We had four pieces of meatloaf, some mashed potatoes, and some pasta w/ meat sauce left over, as well as a couple chicken breasts.  I figured we'd have the meatloaf for dinner, and we could have the pasta or the chicken for lunch.  DH decided the chicken quote "looked suspicious" and threw it out.  Then I hear him microwaving something for lunch.  I look up, and he has all of the meatloaf and mashed potatoes on his plate!  I said, "We were supposed to be having leftovers for dinner - what are you planning to have for dinner now?"  He said, "I was going to have pasta!" (about enough for one person).  I gave him a look  >:( and said, "Okay, so what am I going to have?".  He stopped and said, "Oh, I hadn't gotten that far yet..."  ::)  So now I have to figure out something to actually make for dinner tonight and it's driving me crazy!  If we've discussed having leftovers for dinner and you proceed to toss or eat all our leftovers, it should not come as a surprise that I get upset with you for messing up our plans! 

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #11016 on: March 03, 2013, 05:00:54 PM »
YOU eat the pasta, Lady Snowdon.  Let your DuH eat peanut butter sandwiches.  With no jam.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #11017 on: March 03, 2013, 07:52:20 PM »
TV scripts written by women who have never given birth/men who have never watched an actual woman giving birth. 

Scene: almost anywhere. 

Laboring Woman: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
LW's husband, outside the birthing room/covered wagon/tent/cave: What's wrong?  What's happening?  It's taking too long!
Laboring Woman: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
(baby cries)

::) I had two, both without a drop of anything.  (Hey, it was the 70's. Natural births were in.)  If you are screaming, you aren't pushing.  And if you aren't pushing, guess what doesn't happen? 
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #11018 on: March 03, 2013, 07:54:22 PM »
Being cut off mid-sentence then given the cold shoulder when I don't respond to what was said to cut off me.  Well, you obviously thought what I had to say wasn't important enough to finish saying so why should I bother to keep going?

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #11019 on: March 03, 2013, 08:15:46 PM »
Being cut off mid-sentence then given the cold shoulder when I don't respond to what was said to cut off me.  Well, you obviously thought what I had to say wasn't important enough to finish saying so why should I bother to keep going?

POD a thousand times over.  Happens to me all the time.  >:(

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11020 on: March 03, 2013, 08:35:35 PM »
People who compound a rude action with a rude reaction to it.

I was in a movie theatre yesterday, sitting in the aisle seat of the second row from the middle (the row just behind the one facing the divide) with a large cup of coffee in the cup holder end of the armrest.  We were there for the opera broadcast, which was to start in about an hour. 

Of course, having the aisle seat in that situation means having to pull in or stand to allow others to pass, which wouldn't have been a big deal if the same people didn't make multiple trips in the space of 20 minutes.  One couple did this and the man knocked over my coffee cup, which was still 2/3rds full.  No warning, and the cup landed under the seat in front of me, which was then occupied.  I looked up in time for the landing and said, "Oh, no; there goes my coffee!" 

The transgressor said "That's why God invented restaurants."

JadeAngel

« Reply #11021 on: March 03, 2013, 09:21:58 PM »
TV scripts written by women who have never given birth/men who have never watched an actual woman giving birth.

Like the two I saw depicting water births;

1. They fill the outdoor spa, which miraculously doesn't take around twelve hours to fill and heat (despite being big enough to seat four people) and then the labouring woman hops into the spa, produces her offspring and she and her husband sit in the crystal clear waters to have their first family cuddle with their child. Now without getting into the messy details of giving birth (which I have not done I admit) it seems very unlikely to me that the water in the spa would be blue, clean and sparkling - unless of course the child was born into a chlorine bath...

2. The mother to be sits in a regular bathtub (in a lovely white floaty frock), assisted in her birth by two unqualified medical students while half the cast of the show wander in and out of the bathroom carrying wine glasses, beer bottles and bits of cheese on crackers (She's giving birth in the middle of an impromptu cocktail party apparently) The Mother to be says "Oh! Oooooh!" and, 'hey presto! A baby! Give her a glass of wine, hurrah! Is there any more cheese?'

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #11022 on: March 04, 2013, 09:57:28 AM »
Those little signs of getting older.  Despite Pirateboy2's sweet insistence that I look like a teenager, more and more I'm reminded I'm not getting any younger.  Like little joint aches here and there. 

That and seeing stuff I grew up with in antique stores. :P :D
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

siamesecat2965

« Reply #11023 on: March 04, 2013, 11:10:19 AM »
My own OCD tendancies about my laundry and the way it smells. I posted a litle while back about someone putting too much stinky fabric softener into the machines, and it it turn making MY clothes stink.

I am obsessed with the smell of clean laundry. I can't stand any scent of any kind. I don't know why, but it bugs the living daylights out of me. I live for the day I have my own W/D and don't have to worry any of these things.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #11024 on: March 04, 2013, 11:18:21 AM »
My "new" computer.  I have spent the last two days trying to get it to let me play games.  I keep getting BSOD and nothing I've been trying has worked.