Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1620009 times)

PeterM

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11100 on: March 04, 2013, 10:51:43 PM »
The transgressor said "That's why God invented restaurants."

I can only hope that you stabbed him in the spleen and said, "That's why God invented hospitals."

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11101 on: March 04, 2013, 11:07:09 PM »
I knew a guy that was always interrupting people.  Once he interrupted his (then gf, now stbxwife) and when he was finished asked what she was going to say. She refused to say because "You obviously weren't interested!" He then went on to pout and say he was "hurt that she would think he didn't care! How could she think he didn't care?"

I said "Um, maybe because you interrupted her?"

Im guilty of that as well. If someone repeatedly interrupts me, I will just flat out stop talking. When they ask what I was saying, I reply that they would know if I were allowed to finish!

I have been certain for years that people who interrupt all the time do this specifically to shut up the interruptee who -- most of the time -- will back off out of frustration.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #11102 on: March 04, 2013, 11:09:47 PM »
I knew a guy that was always interrupting people.  Once he interrupted his (then gf, now stbxwife) and when he was finished asked what she was going to say. She refused to say because "You obviously weren't interested!" He then went on to pout and say he was "hurt that she would think he didn't care! How could she think he didn't care?"

Im guilty of that as well. If someone repeatedly interrupts me, I will just flat out stop talking. When they ask what I was saying, I reply that they would know if I were allowed to finish!

I have been certain for years that people who interrupt all the time do this specifically to shut up the interruptee who -- most of the time -- will back off out of frustration.

Nope, the Eagle does it regardless of how I react, including but not limited to interrupting him right back, waiting until he's done to continue, telling him not to interrupt me, and currently not finishing. He does it whether or not I back off.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #11103 on: March 05, 2013, 12:10:02 AM »

Im inclined to agree with this. When I get this impression around certain people, I dont talk to them as much. Then 99% of the time, they wind up asking me why I dont talk to them much anymore.  >:(

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #11104 on: March 05, 2013, 12:30:27 AM »

Im inclined to agree with this. When I get this impression around certain people, I dont talk to them as much. Then 99% of the time, they wind up asking me why I dont talk to them much anymore.  >:(

That sounds like my brother.  He did that to me, I got quiet, and when I refused to repeat myself he (get this!) came out and chucked a pillow hard at my face.  It didn't hurt, of course, but I chewed him out big-time for that one.  What I find even more infuriating is that I've occasionally accidentally done that to him when I didn't hear him talking, then when I'm told that I interrupted, I apologize and ask him to continue.  He says, "No."  Which is usually followed by a sneer, and a "How do you like it?"

Not a frequent occurrence, btw.

Shalamar

« Reply #11105 on: March 05, 2013, 07:37:51 AM »
I used to have a coworker who'd ask me a question and then start talking over me while I was trying to answer.   So I'd start talking louder.   So would he.   It usually ended up a shouting match, which was utterly ridiculous and probably annoyed our colleagues no end.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #11106 on: March 05, 2013, 08:34:08 AM »
The transgressor said "That's why God invented restaurants."

I can only hope that you stabbed him in the spleen and said, "That's why God invented hospitals."

Your Internet for today, Sir.  *bows before brilliance*

Adelaide

« Reply #11107 on: March 05, 2013, 09:32:48 AM »
My favorite line for repeat offenders (stolen from some corner of the internet) is "Oh, I'm sorry, did the the middle of my sentence interrupt the beginning of yours?"

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #11108 on: March 05, 2013, 09:35:39 AM »
My favorite line for repeat offenders (stolen from some corner of the internet) is "Oh, I'm sorry, did the the middle of my sentence interrupt the beginning of yours?"

I've pulled that, too, but then I get the passive aggressive silent treatment for calling out him on his behavior (which is why I posted in this thread about it).  See, the thing is, the Eagle does not engage in self reflection almost ever, so even when I tell him to stop doing something, he'll stop doing it for the moment but not worry about it in the future because that would mean *gasp* change!

It took him 2 years to finally stop clearing his throat in front of me (the sound right before a loogie, not a clearing cough) even though I told him every single time he did it to stop doing it.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11109 on: March 05, 2013, 11:23:17 AM »

I'm stealing that.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #11110 on: March 05, 2013, 02:01:38 PM »
right now, it's people who insist on waiting until the last possible moment to pass on important information

I'm working on a project that is due tomorrow.  I'm just now finding out that the project has to include certain elements (that were not previously discussed).  I also need to give someone information but the holder of said information is not spilling in spite of directions for me to call her for the info.  I left a message and sent a follow up email an hour ago.

This is not new but any attempts by me to head the surprises off at the past are futile.  I was trying to get this all hashed out a week ago.

::)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #11111 on: March 05, 2013, 05:55:26 PM »
My wonderful DH set to oven to self-clean this morning before he left for work. He opened the windows and turned on the fan, so when I came home, the air was circulating and not too smelly.  :)

However, the oven is still hot, the top needs to be cleaned and I am not going to do it. I will eat cold sandwiches for dinner first.  ;)

Also, I am still waiting for the phone I ordered 2/22 to be delivered.  >:(

Last item, DH's parents had their 33 year old water heater rebel over the weekend (and soak the 33 year old carpet) and they are doing another home repair job. Neither one of them is in good physical condition, MIL is still recovering from surgery.  :(

KimberlyM

« Reply #11112 on: March 05, 2013, 07:11:34 PM »
I just drove past a store with a reader board that said "Something I really hate is when people talk when I'm interrupting."  Made me think of this thread and giggle!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11113 on: March 05, 2013, 07:15:29 PM »
My wonderful DH set to oven to self-clean this morning before he left for work. He opened the windows and turned on the fan, so when I came home, the air was circulating and not too smelly.  :)

However, the oven is still hot, the top needs to be cleaned and I am not going to do it. I will eat cold sandwiches for dinner first.  ;)

Also, I am still waiting for the phone I ordered 2/22 to be delivered.  >:(

Last item, DH's parents had their 33 year old water heater rebel over the weekend (and soak the 33 year old carpet) and they are doing another home repair job. Neither one of them is in good physical condition, MIL is still recovering from surgery.  :(

My bff told me that her sister once ran their self clean and they started to smell something burning.  Apparently her sister hadn't used the self clean...well, ever.  This was after bff's BIL died and she was able to pay off their house with what he left her.   She said they joked that he was probably looking down and saying "Great, the house is finally paid off and she's trying to burn it down!"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mmswm

« Reply #11114 on: March 05, 2013, 07:21:01 PM »
Why do some people feel the need to marginalize you and your feelings?  No matter what, if there's anything I feel good about, or special because of, my mother feels the need to take jabs at me and make it seem like I'm this massive loser.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)