Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1567536 times)

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11145 on: March 09, 2013, 09:52:31 AM »
When, after spending time with someone, as you're leaving they say, "Are you around this weekend? I need to talk to you about something." But...we were just talking...now I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what we need to "talk about" that couldn't be talked about in a public place.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #11146 on: March 09, 2013, 01:29:34 PM »
When, after spending time with someone, as you're leaving they say, "Are you around this weekend? I need to talk to you about something." But...we were just talking...now I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what we need to "talk about" that couldn't be talked about in a public place.

That's similar to people who ask, "Are you free any days between A and B?" meaning that they want you (meaning anyone) to devote your time to something, but not giving you a specific date.  'Working with your schedule' is usually how it's presented.  This is fine, if it's something you're willing to do.  If it isn't, the pressure is still on to say yes.  I hate that.  Before finding this site, I didn't think it was possible to say no to some of these requests and still be in the clear!  Now, if only that would guarantee that the other person would take denial gracefully...

One thing that really drives me up the wall, but that many people would find trivial?  Retcons.  Not all of them, but the childhood-crushing kind?  Ugh.  Oh well, that's what fanfic is for.  :)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11147 on: March 09, 2013, 01:34:04 PM »

That's similar to people who ask, "Are you free any days between A and B?" meaning that they want you (meaning anyone) to devote your time to something, but not giving you a specific date.  'Working with your schedule' is usually how it's presented.  This is fine, if it's something you're willing to do.  If it isn't, the pressure is still on to say yes.  I hate that.  Before finding this site, I didn't think it was possible to say no to some of these requests and still be in the clear!  Now, if only that would guarantee that the other person would take denial gracefully...

Or, simply ask "are you free on x day?" I hate that, since as you say, its usually to ask if you want to do something you don't want to do!  I've gotten better at saying "it depends" or "let me check and get back to you" I will also admit to playing dumb and saying things like "I know I have something going on one night next week but can't remember" and this is where the let me get back to you comes in handy.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11148 on: March 09, 2013, 01:42:42 PM »
I'm getting really annoyed with the phrase "flyover country".  I talked to a woman this past week who lived down in the Florida Keys, and she asked where I was.  I told her Minnesota, and she said, "oh, flyover country" in the most dismissive tone I can imagine!  When I was applying for grad school a few years back, my uncle told me about a friend of his, who upon being told that I was going to school in Minnesota, said, "Are there really any good schools between here (Massachusetts) and LA?  It is all just flyover country".  There are also tons of people who don't use that exact phrase, but the meaning is there when they express shock and surprise that there are national and international companies that aren't based on either coast but are in the Midwest or Mountain states. 

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #11149 on: March 09, 2013, 01:47:15 PM »
I'm getting really annoyed with the phrase "flyover country".  I talked to a woman this past week who lived down in the Florida Keys, and she asked where I was.  I told her Minnesota, and she said, "oh, flyover country" in the most dismissive tone I can imagine!  When I was applying for grad school a few years back, my uncle told me about a friend of his, who upon being told that I was going to school in Minnesota, said, "Are there really any good schools between here (Massachusetts) and LA?  It is all just flyover country".  There are also tons of people who don't use that exact phrase, but the meaning is there when they express shock and surprise that there are national and international companies that aren't based on either coast but are in the Midwest or Mountain states.

Just ask them where they think all their food comes from. I refused to watch "Brokeback Mountain", not because of the subject matter, but because the author is one of those "If it's not New York, Boston, or Los Angeles, then it's untamed savagery" types. She makes her living off writing about how everyone not from one of those cities is either a hypocrite or a barbarian, including one gem suggesting that people in Wyoming relieve their dull evenings with serial killing and cannibalism. It's a hobby out there, apparently.

It's insulting, because everyone knows Virginia is the most important state in the Union, and the center of all culture  ;)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11150 on: March 09, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
I would have been tempted to say SnarkyTraska would have said to the woman "Florida's flyover country.  Whenever a hurricane rolls through, all I see is helicopter flyovers."

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #11151 on: March 09, 2013, 02:24:53 PM »

Just ask them where they think all their food comes from. I refused to watch "Brokeback Mountain", not because of the subject matter, but because the author is one of those "If it's not New York, Boston, or Los Angeles, then it's untamed savagery" types. She makes her living off writing about how everyone not from one of those cities is either a hypocrite or a barbarian, including one gem suggesting that people in Wyoming relieve their dull evenings with serial killing and cannibalism. It's a hobby out there, apparently.

It's insulting, because everyone knows Virginia is the most important state in the Union, and the center of all culture  ;)

But of course! Everything good in the United States got its start in Virgina!  ;)  ;D My dad says that all the time, because he himself is from that land, the best of all possible worlds.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #11152 on: March 09, 2013, 02:48:02 PM »
Following a pin for what looks like a delicious recipe on Pinterest only for it to lead to nothing but a picture. :P

Or worse, the link is spam or otherwise leads to something other than what you think it's supposed to be -- like something marked as a DIY tutorial that actually leads to an online store.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11153 on: March 09, 2013, 03:52:31 PM »

I got that sort of attitude when I was going to visit Iowa about 4 years ago.  "What's there to do in Iowa?? Look at the cornfields?"  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mmswm

« Reply #11154 on: March 09, 2013, 04:49:29 PM »

I got that sort of attitude when I was going to visit Iowa about 4 years ago.  "What's there to do in Iowa?? Look at the cornfields?"  ::)

I lived in North Dakota for four years.  The stories I could tell.... *sigh*  It really is beautiful country.  People have no idea what they're missing.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #11155 on: March 09, 2013, 04:51:29 PM »

Haha, well we here in MN have Diablo Cody representing. Which she does in an all-too-knowing manner. "We're not just a bunch of small town hicks you know...we're getting a Chipotle in by the mall."

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #11156 on: March 09, 2013, 04:53:59 PM »
People showing up late, and not even bothering to call and let us know.  >:(   Now I have no idea what to expect this evening because the entire schedule is all out of whack, and visiting company will probably expect to accompany us to my mother's birthday dinner (it was supposed to be just the four of us, no extended family).  It's not my place to say anything, and I know she (my mother) won't say anything either.  It's been an hour and counting.  We're not happy campers.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #11157 on: March 09, 2013, 06:42:53 PM »
I'm a Prairie dweller too (Canadian-style) and we get the same thing.  No, Alberta is NOT all rig pigs and countrified yokels, thank you very much.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Shalamar

« Reply #11158 on: March 09, 2013, 08:03:24 PM »
Manitoba ain't all snow and skeeters!

Redsoil

« Reply #11159 on: March 09, 2013, 08:13:24 PM »
Crotchetfanatic - I think if your guests are so late that they may impinge on another (private) engagement, you would be entirely justified in any of the following actions:

*  Phone the guests and tell them you have to head out - you'll see them another time as they're so late.
*  Simply head out and let the chips fall as they may (you could phone them AFTER you're gone if you like, just so they can't do the "oh, but... thing)
*  If/when they arrive, let them know you can spend a little time, but have another PRVATE engagement you cannot be late for, and you know they'll understand you needing to leave soon.  Polish your spine, have phrases ready and GO.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!