News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 20, 2018, 07:00:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5485171 times)

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11085 on: March 09, 2013, 01:48:02 PM »
Following a pin for what looks like a delicious recipe on Pinterest only for it to lead to nothing but a picture. :P

Or worse, the link is spam or otherwise leads to something other than what you think it's supposed to be -- like something marked as a DIY tutorial that actually leads to an online store.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #11086 on: March 09, 2013, 02:52:31 PM »
I'm getting really annoyed with the phrase "flyover country".  I talked to a woman this past week who lived down in the Florida Keys, and she asked where I was.  I told her Minnesota, and she said, "oh, flyover country" in the most dismissive tone I can imagine!  When I was applying for grad school a few years back, my uncle told me about a friend of his, who upon being told that I was going to school in Minnesota, said, "Are there really any good schools between here (Massachusetts) and LA?  It is all just flyover country".  There are also tons of people who don't use that exact phrase, but the meaning is there when they express shock and surprise that there are national and international companies that aren't based on either coast but are in the Midwest or Mountain states.

I got that sort of attitude when I was going to visit Iowa about 4 years ago.  "What's there to do in Iowa?? Look at the cornfields?"  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mmswm

« Reply #11087 on: March 09, 2013, 03:49:29 PM »
I'm getting really annoyed with the phrase "flyover country".  I talked to a woman this past week who lived down in the Florida Keys, and she asked where I was.  I told her Minnesota, and she said, "oh, flyover country" in the most dismissive tone I can imagine!  When I was applying for grad school a few years back, my uncle told me about a friend of his, who upon being told that I was going to school in Minnesota, said, "Are there really any good schools between here (Massachusetts) and LA?  It is all just flyover country".  There are also tons of people who don't use that exact phrase, but the meaning is there when they express shock and surprise that there are national and international companies that aren't based on either coast but are in the Midwest or Mountain states.

I got that sort of attitude when I was going to visit Iowa about 4 years ago.  "What's there to do in Iowa?? Look at the cornfields?"  ::)

I lived in North Dakota for four years.  The stories I could tell.... *sigh*  It really is beautiful country.  People have no idea what they're missing.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #11088 on: March 09, 2013, 03:51:29 PM »

Just ask them where they think all their food comes from. I refused to watch "Brokeback Mountain", not because of the subject matter, but because the author is one of those "If it's not New York, Boston, or Los Angeles, then it's untamed savagery" types. She makes her living off writing about how everyone not from one of those cities is either a hypocrite or a barbarian, including one gem suggesting that people in Wyoming relieve their dull evenings with serial killing and cannibalism. It's a hobby out there, apparently.

It's insulting, because everyone knows Virginia is the most important state in the Union, and the center of all culture  ;)

Haha, well we here in MN have Diablo Cody representing. Which she does in an all-too-knowing manner. "We're not just a bunch of small town hicks you know...we're getting a Chipotle in by the mall."

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #11089 on: March 09, 2013, 03:53:59 PM »
People showing up late, and not even bothering to call and let us know.  >:(   Now I have no idea what to expect this evening because the entire schedule is all out of whack, and visiting company will probably expect to accompany us to my mother's birthday dinner (it was supposed to be just the four of us, no extended family).  It's not my place to say anything, and I know she (my mother) won't say anything either.  It's been an hour and counting.  We're not happy campers.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #11090 on: March 09, 2013, 05:42:53 PM »
I'm a Prairie dweller too (Canadian-style) and we get the same thing.  No, Alberta is NOT all rig pigs and countrified yokels, thank you very much.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Redsoil

« Reply #11091 on: March 09, 2013, 07:13:24 PM »
Crotchetfanatic - I think if your guests are so late that they may impinge on another (private) engagement, you would be entirely justified in any of the following actions:

*  Phone the guests and tell them you have to head out - you'll see them another time as they're so late.
*  Simply head out and let the chips fall as they may (you could phone them AFTER you're gone if you like, just so they can't do the "oh, but... thing)
*  If/when they arrive, let them know you can spend a little time, but have another PRVATE engagement you cannot be late for, and you know they'll understand you needing to leave soon.  Polish your spine, have phrases ready and GO.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

mmswm

« Reply #11092 on: March 09, 2013, 07:25:59 PM »
I'm irritated today because once again I decided to attempt a civil debate on a controversial topic.  I was very, very careful in my wording to address the issues at hand and not attack the actual people on the opposing side.  This was actually mostly successful except for two people in the debate who got emotional and who's response to any counter to their arguments, or request to expand on why they were arguing their position was "I don't know why I get into these discussions because everybody obviously thinks I'm always wrong". 

I really enjoy a good debate, and for the record, I'm on the minority side on this topic. I even had somebody on the "other" side look over what I posted to make sure that I hadn't said something inadvertently that would send the "I'm right and you're stupid because you don't agree with me" message.  She assured me I hadn't.

So, in short, it drives me batty when people enter into a debate when they don't really enjoy a good debate and take counterarguments personally.  If you don't like it, don't do it!
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #11093 on: March 09, 2013, 07:26:39 PM »
And now for something completely different, a man with three buttocks.

No seriously, I just got an email from Payless shoes which reminded me of another irritant.  Getting a coupon for something you already bought the day before. Yesterday I bought Piratebabe new shoes at Payless.  Today? I get an email coupon for 30% off.  Grrr.
Take the coupon and receipt to Payless and ask if they will refund you the difference.  Many companies will do so, but they don't publicize it and you have to actually go in and ask.  And if they say 'no' then you're no worse off than before, right?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #11094 on: March 10, 2013, 01:27:59 AM »
I had a debate with my brother about a topic which can bring out strong feelings in some people (breastfeeding toddlers of 2-4 years old). One of my arguments rested on scientific reasearch of which I read the actual report. His reply was that such research hadn't much value because for every conclusion, you can find a research that proves the opposite. While this may be true for some topics and some types of research, it isn't a general truth fabout scientific research, and the report was a meta study anyways. But the really grating part is that my brother will usually fend with science arguments himself. Appareantly it's only acceptable if it suits him.

Another thing I hate in discussions is that when you present several points which, each on their own, support your position. The opposing party adresses only one point and leaves the rest hanging in the air.

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11095 on: March 10, 2013, 09:04:45 AM »
When the MTA schedules repairs that seriously impede the ability to travel efficiently.  Yesterday I went to a meetup that is normally easy to get to, but there was no local service to get there directly.  I had to take a local train in the opposite direction, an express to a stop past the destination, and a local to the destination.  One of the other people had the inconvenience on his way home and may have missed the last commuter train to his destination.

nuit93

« Reply #11096 on: March 10, 2013, 03:42:31 PM »
I'm irritated today because once again I decided to attempt a civil debate on a controversial topic.  I was very, very careful in my wording to address the issues at hand and not attack the actual people on the opposing side.  This was actually mostly successful except for two people in the debate who got emotional and who's response to any counter to their arguments, or request to expand on why they were arguing their position was "I don't know why I get into these discussions because everybody obviously thinks I'm always wrong". 

I really enjoy a good debate, and for the record, I'm on the minority side on this topic. I even had somebody on the "other" side look over what I posted to make sure that I hadn't said something inadvertently that would send the "I'm right and you're stupid because you don't agree with me" message.  She assured me I hadn't.

So, in short, it drives me batty when people enter into a debate when they don't really enjoy a good debate and take counterarguments personally.  If you don't like it, don't do it!

I hold a few beliefs that surprise people because of how I normally 'lean' (PM me if you want details).  I've kinda given up on debating most topics with people...it's not worth the headache :)

PeterM

« Reply #11097 on: March 10, 2013, 03:56:41 PM »
Microsoft Word drives me up the wall, as do many other fine Microsoft products.

I would die a happy man if I could spend five minutes alone with whatever moron first hatched the idea, "Hey, let's have our software predict what the user wants to do and make changes without asking permission! Then let's make it really, really hard to make any changes from what we think the document should look like!" Seriously, five minutes. Just me, him and a sock full of nickels. Good times.

I'm trying to be calm and even generous, but I think it's honest truth that in all my time working on computers at least 90% of these "helpful" mandatory changes have not only been things I did not want, but things I actively hated and had to spend time fixing. I leave spelling autocorrect out of that equation, but even that isn't anywhere near helpful enough to make up for the rest. Just gimme the green or red line and let me fix it myself. The red and green lines are awesome, to give credit where it's due.

I can't even fiddle with the automatic settings for the program - assuming I can find them - because most of this annoyance comes at work, on computers I share with everyone else, and I can't make sweeping changes like that.

You know what would help? If every piece of software ever sold had a prominent button, toggle or option labeled "Don't do a single <redacted> thing until I tell you to. I mean it, you stupid <redacted>!" I would pay cash money for that feature. I would rob banks and pistol whip orphans to get the cash money to pay for that feature. And then I would shoot the idiot programmer who decided "Let's have that option turn itself off, because no one really wants it anyway."

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #11098 on: March 10, 2013, 04:04:22 PM »
^^oh yes.

I used to share a house with a computer tech who would insist, "Computers only do what you tell them!" with a stupid smug grin.  Maybe you could get him in the same room.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #11099 on: March 10, 2013, 04:17:48 PM »
Microsoft Word drives me up the wall, as do many other fine Microsoft products.

I would die a happy man if I could spend five minutes alone with whatever moron first hatched the idea, "Hey, let's have our software predict what the user wants to do and make changes without asking permission! Then let's make it really, really hard to make any changes from what we think the document should look like!" Seriously, five minutes. Just me, him and a sock full of nickels. Good times.

Wait! Wait for me! I'm coming too! We can experiment with US currency v. UK currency in the sock to see what gives the most satisfactory result.

And we can give each other an alibi afterwards.