Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1740899 times)

mmswm

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11160 on: March 09, 2013, 08:25:59 PM »
I'm irritated today because once again I decided to attempt a civil debate on a controversial topic.  I was very, very careful in my wording to address the issues at hand and not attack the actual people on the opposing side.  This was actually mostly successful except for two people in the debate who got emotional and who's response to any counter to their arguments, or request to expand on why they were arguing their position was "I don't know why I get into these discussions because everybody obviously thinks I'm always wrong". 

I really enjoy a good debate, and for the record, I'm on the minority side on this topic. I even had somebody on the "other" side look over what I posted to make sure that I hadn't said something inadvertently that would send the "I'm right and you're stupid because you don't agree with me" message.  She assured me I hadn't.

So, in short, it drives me batty when people enter into a debate when they don't really enjoy a good debate and take counterarguments personally.  If you don't like it, don't do it!
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11161 on: March 09, 2013, 08:26:39 PM »
And now for something completely different, a man with three buttocks.

No seriously, I just got an email from Payless shoes which reminded me of another irritant.  Getting a coupon for something you already bought the day before. Yesterday I bought Piratebabe new shoes at Payless.  Today? I get an email coupon for 30% off.  Grrr.
Take the coupon and receipt to Payless and ask if they will refund you the difference.  Many companies will do so, but they don't publicize it and you have to actually go in and ask.  And if they say 'no' then you're no worse off than before, right?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #11162 on: March 10, 2013, 03:27:59 AM »
I had a debate with my brother about a topic which can bring out strong feelings in some people (breastfeeding toddlers of 2-4 years old). One of my arguments rested on scientific reasearch of which I read the actual report. His reply was that such research hadn't much value because for every conclusion, you can find a research that proves the opposite. While this may be true for some topics and some types of research, it isn't a general truth fabout scientific research, and the report was a meta study anyways. But the really grating part is that my brother will usually fend with science arguments himself. Appareantly it's only acceptable if it suits him.

Another thing I hate in discussions is that when you present several points which, each on their own, support your position. The opposing party adresses only one point and leaves the rest hanging in the air.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11163 on: March 10, 2013, 10:04:45 AM »
When the MTA schedules repairs that seriously impede the ability to travel efficiently.  Yesterday I went to a meetup that is normally easy to get to, but there was no local service to get there directly.  I had to take a local train in the opposite direction, an express to a stop past the destination, and a local to the destination.  One of the other people had the inconvenience on his way home and may have missed the last commuter train to his destination.

nuit93

« Reply #11164 on: March 10, 2013, 04:42:31 PM »
I'm irritated today because once again I decided to attempt a civil debate on a controversial topic.  I was very, very careful in my wording to address the issues at hand and not attack the actual people on the opposing side.  This was actually mostly successful except for two people in the debate who got emotional and who's response to any counter to their arguments, or request to expand on why they were arguing their position was "I don't know why I get into these discussions because everybody obviously thinks I'm always wrong". 

I really enjoy a good debate, and for the record, I'm on the minority side on this topic. I even had somebody on the "other" side look over what I posted to make sure that I hadn't said something inadvertently that would send the "I'm right and you're stupid because you don't agree with me" message.  She assured me I hadn't.

So, in short, it drives me batty when people enter into a debate when they don't really enjoy a good debate and take counterarguments personally.  If you don't like it, don't do it!

I hold a few beliefs that surprise people because of how I normally 'lean' (PM me if you want details).  I've kinda given up on debating most topics with people...it's not worth the headache :)

PeterM

« Reply #11165 on: March 10, 2013, 04:56:41 PM »
Microsoft Word drives me up the wall, as do many other fine Microsoft products.

I would die a happy man if I could spend five minutes alone with whatever moron first hatched the idea, "Hey, let's have our software predict what the user wants to do and make changes without asking permission! Then let's make it really, really hard to make any changes from what we think the document should look like!" Seriously, five minutes. Just me, him and a sock full of nickels. Good times.

I'm trying to be calm and even generous, but I think it's honest truth that in all my time working on computers at least 90% of these "helpful" mandatory changes have not only been things I did not want, but things I actively hated and had to spend time fixing. I leave spelling autocorrect out of that equation, but even that isn't anywhere near helpful enough to make up for the rest. Just gimme the green or red line and let me fix it myself. The red and green lines are awesome, to give credit where it's due.

I can't even fiddle with the automatic settings for the program - assuming I can find them - because most of this annoyance comes at work, on computers I share with everyone else, and I can't make sweeping changes like that.

You know what would help? If every piece of software ever sold had a prominent button, toggle or option labeled "Don't do a single <redacted> thing until I tell you to. I mean it, you stupid <redacted>!" I would pay cash money for that feature. I would rob banks and pistol whip orphans to get the cash money to pay for that feature. And then I would shoot the idiot programmer who decided "Let's have that option turn itself off, because no one really wants it anyway."

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #11166 on: March 10, 2013, 05:04:22 PM »
^^oh yes.

I used to share a house with a computer tech who would insist, "Computers only do what you tell them!" with a stupid smug grin.  Maybe you could get him in the same room.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #11167 on: March 10, 2013, 05:17:48 PM »

I would die a happy man if I could spend five minutes alone with whatever moron first hatched the idea, "Hey, let's have our software predict what the user wants to do and make changes without asking permission! Then let's make it really, really hard to make any changes from what we think the document should look like!" Seriously, five minutes. Just me, him and a sock full of nickels. Good times.

Wait! Wait for me! I'm coming too! We can experiment with US currency v. UK currency in the sock to see what gives the most satisfactory result.

And we can give each other an alibi afterwards.

NutMeg

« Reply #11168 on: March 10, 2013, 05:49:26 PM »
^^oh yes.

I used to share a house with a computer tech who would insist, "Computers only do what you tell them!" with a stupid smug grin.  Maybe you could get him in the same room.

And unfortunately you are not the only person who has told it to do something. By running a program, the computer is doing stuff that someone else told it to do. Therefore his saying isn't very helpful.
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

Cami

« Reply #11169 on: March 10, 2013, 05:57:48 PM »
Parents who bring their children to church for no apparent reason except to distract everyone around them. The reason for their attendance is a mystery as the parents allow them to listen to their ipods, play games on their tablets, play with toys, dance on the pews, eat donuts, and/or talk to their siblings FOR THE ENTIRE SERVICE -- even the children's sermon. It is so freaking distracting and it's so disrespectful.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:00:25 PM by Cami »

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #11170 on: March 10, 2013, 05:58:53 PM »

Wait! Wait for me! I'm coming too! We can experiment with US currency v. UK currency in the sock to see what gives the most satisfactory result.

Can we also add in some Aussie $2 coins and 50c pieces as well?  The $2 are small but thick, and the 50s have nice corners on em...

And we can use the sock also on the wonderful folk that designed my workplace's data warehouse.  Please??  Oh the frustration of trying to link tables on a common identifier field which is stored as text in one table and number in the other...

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11171 on: March 10, 2013, 06:04:09 PM »
Parents who bring their children to church for no apparent reason. The reason for their attendance is a mystery as the parents allow them to listen to their ipods, play games on their tablets, play with toys, dance on the pews, eat donuts, and/or talk to their siblings FOR THE ENTIRE SERVICE -- even the children's sermon. It is so freaking distracting and it's so disrespectful.

Thankfully I don't see much of that at our church, the gadgets that is.  I've had some battles with my middle child when it comes to getting him to pay attention, or at least be quiet and respectful during the service.   He has ADHD so sitting still without fidgeting is difficult for him, and I get that, but he doesn't have to distract others, either.  I don't mind so long as he doodles on the bulletin quietly but I draw the line at toys and gadgets.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #11172 on: March 10, 2013, 07:10:53 PM »

Can we also add in some Aussie $2 coins and 50c pieces as well?  The $2 are small but thick, and the 50s have nice corners on em...

And we can use the sock also on the wonderful folk that designed my workplace's data warehouse.  Please??  Oh the frustration of trying to link tables on a common identifier field which is stored as text in one table and number in the other...

If we're making a party of it, we could cover the absolute fluff-for-brains folk who genuinely believe that their software update will work first time, every time, and who schedule the roll-out for the time that will give them most free publicity without thinking about what will happen if it goes wrong. Aaaaand I give you... the payroll software company that did the new version roll-out to coincide with the PAYE year end filing dates, and (my particular favourite) the company who provide To Do lists and the like for Windows, Mac, iPad, Android etc. etc. cont page 94. If you provide web-based synchronising reminder software on which people will save things like, oh, Christmas shopping lists, then obviously the time to provide the update is the week before Christmas. And there's no risk of the roll-out not working, and then the website going down, none at all.

We're going to need a bigger sock.

snowfire

« Reply #11173 on: March 10, 2013, 08:26:08 PM »

How about this one???  >:D ;D >:D

mmswm

« Reply #11174 on: March 10, 2013, 08:28:27 PM »
that'll work.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)