News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 06:20:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5494433 times)

NutMeg

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11100 on: March 10, 2013, 04:49:26 PM »
^^oh yes.

I used to share a house with a computer tech who would insist, "Computers only do what you tell them!" with a stupid smug grin.  Maybe you could get him in the same room.

And unfortunately you are not the only person who has told it to do something. By running a program, the computer is doing stuff that someone else told it to do. Therefore his saying isn't very helpful.
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

Cami

« Reply #11101 on: March 10, 2013, 04:57:48 PM »
Parents who bring their children to church for no apparent reason except to distract everyone around them. The reason for their attendance is a mystery as the parents allow them to listen to their ipods, play games on their tablets, play with toys, dance on the pews, eat donuts, and/or talk to their siblings FOR THE ENTIRE SERVICE -- even the children's sermon. It is so freaking distracting and it's so disrespectful.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 05:00:25 PM by Cami »

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #11102 on: March 10, 2013, 04:58:53 PM »
Microsoft Word drives me up the wall, as do many other fine Microsoft products.

I would die a happy man if I could spend five minutes alone with whatever moron first hatched the idea, "Hey, let's have our software predict what the user wants to do and make changes without asking permission! Then let's make it really, really hard to make any changes from what we think the document should look like!" Seriously, five minutes. Just me, him and a sock full of nickels. Good times.

Wait! Wait for me! I'm coming too! We can experiment with US currency v. UK currency in the sock to see what gives the most satisfactory result.

And we can give each other an alibi afterwards.

Can we also add in some Aussie $2 coins and 50c pieces as well?  The $2 are small but thick, and the 50s have nice corners on em...

And we can use the sock also on the wonderful folk that designed my workplace's data warehouse.  Please??  Oh the frustration of trying to link tables on a common identifier field which is stored as text in one table and number in the other...

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #11103 on: March 10, 2013, 05:04:09 PM »
Parents who bring their children to church for no apparent reason. The reason for their attendance is a mystery as the parents allow them to listen to their ipods, play games on their tablets, play with toys, dance on the pews, eat donuts, and/or talk to their siblings FOR THE ENTIRE SERVICE -- even the children's sermon. It is so freaking distracting and it's so disrespectful.

Thankfully I don't see much of that at our church, the gadgets that is.  I've had some battles with my middle child when it comes to getting him to pay attention, or at least be quiet and respectful during the service.   He has ADHD so sitting still without fidgeting is difficult for him, and I get that, but he doesn't have to distract others, either.  I don't mind so long as he doodles on the bulletin quietly but I draw the line at toys and gadgets.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #11104 on: March 10, 2013, 06:10:53 PM »

I would die a happy man if I could spend five minutes alone with whatever moron first hatched the idea, "Hey, let's have our software predict what the user wants to do and make changes without asking permission! Then let's make it really, really hard to make any changes from what we think the document should look like!" Seriously, five minutes. Just me, him and a sock full of nickels. Good times.

Wait! Wait for me! I'm coming too! We can experiment with US currency v. UK currency in the sock to see what gives the most satisfactory result.

And we can give each other an alibi afterwards.

Can we also add in some Aussie $2 coins and 50c pieces as well?  The $2 are small but thick, and the 50s have nice corners on em...

And we can use the sock also on the wonderful folk that designed my workplace's data warehouse.  Please??  Oh the frustration of trying to link tables on a common identifier field which is stored as text in one table and number in the other...

If we're making a party of it, we could cover the absolute fluff-for-brains folk who genuinely believe that their software update will work first time, every time, and who schedule the roll-out for the time that will give them most free publicity without thinking about what will happen if it goes wrong. Aaaaand I give you... the payroll software company that did the new version roll-out to coincide with the PAYE year end filing dates, and (my particular favourite) the company who provide To Do lists and the like for Windows, Mac, iPad, Android etc. etc. cont page 94. If you provide web-based synchronising reminder software on which people will save things like, oh, Christmas shopping lists, then obviously the time to provide the update is the week before Christmas. And there's no risk of the roll-out not working, and then the website going down, none at all.

We're going to need a bigger sock.

snowfire

« Reply #11105 on: March 10, 2013, 07:26:08 PM »

How about this one???  >:D ;D >:D

mmswm

« Reply #11106 on: March 10, 2013, 07:28:27 PM »
that'll work.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #11107 on: March 10, 2013, 10:20:20 PM »
Parents who bring their children to church for no apparent reason except to distract everyone around them. The reason for their attendance is a mystery as the parents allow them to listen to their ipods, play games on their tablets, play with toys, dance on the pews, eat donuts, and/or talk to their siblings FOR THE ENTIRE SERVICE -- even the children's sermon. It is so freaking distracting and it's so disrespectful.

Or use the envelopes and prayer request forms as coloring pages.  :o
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Library Dragon

« Reply #11108 on: March 10, 2013, 11:11:52 PM »

POD!!
I don't mind cheerios for your 2 year old, but the 7 year old doesn't need a picnic lunch.  It's only an hour. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

mbbored

• Budget Grad Student
« Reply #11109 on: March 11, 2013, 12:09:48 AM »
I have a student who argues about every single point off on his assignments and exams. This week he emailed me four times in one day about half a point on one assignment. Four times. For half a point. (No, I did not budge.)

I'm grading his assignments just as fairly as everybody else's but man, this guy is losing a lot of good will from me and the professor.

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #11110 on: March 11, 2013, 01:09:06 AM »

That must be the same programmer who invented clippy. It has een gone for many years and I can still get mad at it.

Redsoil

« Reply #11111 on: March 11, 2013, 06:05:14 AM »
Hey, at least clippy was cute!  (And you could change him into a cat or a dog...)
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #11112 on: March 11, 2013, 07:36:51 AM »
The posts on fbook along the lines of "My parents said I can get a dog if I get 1,000 likes!" or "mom said she'd quit smoking if I could get 1,000 likes!"

I swear those just about scream "SCAM!"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Lynnv

« Reply #11113 on: March 11, 2013, 08:23:56 AM »

That must be the same programmer who invented clippy. It has een gone for many years and I can still get mad at it.

I am in.  Is it okay if I empty out the swear jar that is pretty much fueled by MS products instead of limiting myself to nickels?

And while we are there, can we make a trip to the mothership and find the guy who did the auto-correct feature on my iPad and iPhone?  Which corrects things that were correct and didn't need fixing.  Grrr.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #11114 on: March 11, 2013, 08:29:52 AM »
That's one reason I'm glad I don't have an iPhone, for the autocorrect.  That would drive me up the wall.  My Android has a little menu under the text box where you can select the word you're spelling.  Ie if you start out typing sleep and get as far as sl, it gives you the options of "Sleet, sleep, sloop, slurp" and you can just select whichever you want or keep spelling. 

Though once DH slipped up and I got a text saying DS was trying to microwave a slice of people.  Unfortunately he didn't get my soylent green joke.