Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1780617 times)

EmmaJ.

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11205 on: March 11, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
ALL MS Office programs,  I am sick of spending 3 times the time I need to on grad school projects because PowerPoint automatically capitalizes words at the beginning of of a line, not a sentence, a line.

This really sums it up.  Why does it do that?  Why?  Who saw that as an improvement?
Why can't I open two different instances of PPT or Excel but I can have as many Word windows as I want?
Why does it now take 27 steps to put error bars on a graph when it used to take 4?
Why does it slavishly retain its stupid formatting for bullets and numbering so that I have to manual change it every time?  If it automatically bulletizes or numbers things, why does it not automatically adjust when I put in new format parameters? (If you wonder why I don't just use MS format for these things... no.  I want it MY way. :P)
And really, don't get me started on when it adds a line between paragraphs, except when it doesn't.

But ultimately, the thing that drives me crazy?  MS has a usability division, whose entire responsibility is to make the software easier to use.  I honestly do not know what they do over there.

POD, ditto, I totally agree, and amen sister.

Occasionally, I'll just type my document in Excel because I just cannot bear to argue with Word another second.

Library Dragon

« Reply #11206 on: March 11, 2013, 09:53:47 PM »
Good hair days. You'd think I would be thrilled, but no. My hair looked AWESOME yesterday, seriously awesome. As in, I looked like an after photo in a magazine makeover.

Today, I look like the before picture. And I cannot replicate yesterday's look at all. Not even close. :( Why couldn't I have just gone on accepting I don't have great hair? Why does it have to taunt me?

POD2

My hair does what it wants every single day. It doesn't matter that I the exact same steps.  It will look different. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

diesel_darlin

« Reply #11207 on: March 11, 2013, 09:58:43 PM »
I have very curly hair. I mean VERY curly. I have fought, cussed, straightened, tortured, and coaxed it for years. I finally just had to give up, knowing it was going to do whatever it wanted regardless of the work I put into it.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11208 on: March 11, 2013, 10:05:01 PM »
That's one reason I stopped asking for my hair to be styled after a cut. I know I won't be able to replicate the look once I get home so I just tell them to let it air dry, even if it's colder than a penquin's tush.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

diesel_darlin

« Reply #11209 on: March 11, 2013, 10:06:55 PM »
I like getting mine styled, for that very reason. At least it looks good some of the time! LOL!

What ticks me off, is when a hairdresser leaves my hair damp when I specifically asked them not to. They just dont want to fix it, so they rub some kinda balm on it, pretend to blow dry it, and I walk out of there  like >:(.

Shalamar

« Reply #11210 on: March 11, 2013, 10:08:35 PM »
I once made the mistake of commenting at work about how long it took me to do my hair in the morning.  My male colleague looked bewildered and said "Then WHY does it look like THAT?"

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11211 on: March 11, 2013, 10:24:36 PM »
I once made the mistake of commenting at work about how long it took me to do my hair in the morning.  My male colleague looked bewildered and said "Then WHY does it look like THAT?"

Oops!  :D :D :D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11212 on: March 11, 2013, 10:27:47 PM »
My hair makes me nuts cause it's fine and straight, and aside from ponytail holders and bobby pins, things rarely stay in.  If I use barrettes, hair combs, scarves, or clips, I'm constantly having to redo my style throughout the day cause it'll slip out.

For that reason (and having a toddler) my hair's most often in a ponytail. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

snowdragon

« Reply #11213 on: March 11, 2013, 10:57:33 PM »
ALL MS Office programs,  I am sick of spending 3 times the time I need to on grad school projects because PowerPoint automatically capitalizes words at the beginning of of a line, not a sentence, a line.

This really sums it up.  Why does it do that?  Why?  Who saw that as an improvement?
Why can't I open two different instances of PPT or Excel but I can have as many Word windows as I want?

Why does it now take 27 steps to put error bars on a graph when it used to take 4?
Why does it slavishly retain its stupid formatting for bullets and numbering so that I have to manual change it every time?  If it automatically bulletizes or numbers things, why does it not automatically adjust when I put in new format parameters? (If you wonder why I don't just use MS format for these things... no.  I want it MY way. :P)
And really, don't get me started on when it adds a line between paragraphs, except when it doesn't.

But ultimately, the thing that drives me crazy?  MS has a usability division, whose entire responsibility is to make the software easier to use.  I honestly do not know what they do over there.

You can.  I have my PP and Excel pinned to my task bar when I want to open a new one I right click on the icon and left click on where it says "Microsoft PowerPoint" voila two open. Works with all the Office programs, at least in windows.   

mmswm

« Reply #11214 on: March 11, 2013, 11:17:09 PM »
My hair makes me nuts cause it's fine and straight, and aside from ponytail holders and bobby pins, things rarely stay in.  If I use barrettes, hair combs, scarves, or clips, I'm constantly having to redo my style throughout the day cause it'll slip out.

My hair is most often in a bun, but for the opposite reason.  It's long, thick and curly.  And as unruly as a spoiled 2 year old.

This is my hair right after I cut it in September.  I haven't cut it since then, and it grows a little more than half an inch a month.

The only way I can get it to do what I want is to beat it into submission...er, I mean a bun.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11215 on: March 11, 2013, 11:28:06 PM »

My hair is most often in a bun, but for the opposite reason.  It's long, thick and curly.  And as unruly as a spoiled 2 year old.

This is my hair right after I cut it in September.  I haven't cut it since then, and it grows a little more than half an inch a month.

The only way I can get it to do what I want is to beat it into submission...er, I mean a bun.

Do you love it? Is it easy to care for? I love it, and thank you for letting us see it!

My sister-in-law bemoaned her naturally curly hair for over 30 years, but now has found a dresser who can handle it. She has it cut short, it is now white with the coarseness that goes along with that, and is perfect out of the shower.

I still let her live because other than that, I do love her.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #11216 on: March 11, 2013, 11:52:57 PM »
My mama has the prettiest white curly hair growing in. She lost it all before due to chemo.

Kaymyth

« Reply #11217 on: March 11, 2013, 11:59:16 PM »

I have the same type of hair; straight fine, and *thick*.  Trying to get it to take any sort of curl involves a metric ton of product and prayers to both Thor and Ra to keep the rain away and the sun shining, as any amount of humidity will override all the hair product and make it fall straight again.

I really, *really* want to do Amy Pond cosplay at Dragon*Con this year.  I have the hair color and by the time August rolls around I'll have the length, but I'm just not sure how I'm going to get the waves.

mmswm

« Reply #11218 on: March 11, 2013, 11:59:53 PM »
Luci, I have a love-hate relationship with my hair.  It's my best-looking physical feature, but it's such a pain; both literally and figuratively. It drives me up a wall because it does what it wants to to whenever it wants to do it.  I keep it long because it's even harder to handle when it's short.  At least when it's very long I can tie it into a bun and ignore it.  Well, at least until the headaches start.

(((Hugs))) Diesel_Darlin.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11219 on: March 12, 2013, 02:20:32 AM »

Do you love it? Is it easy to care for? I love it, and thank you for letting us see it!

My sister-in-law bemoaned her naturally curly hair for over 30 years, but now has found a dresser who can handle it. She has it cut short, it is now white with the coarseness that goes along with that, and is perfect out of the shower.

I still let her live because other than that, I do love her.

I concur, that is some seriously beautiful hair!