Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1735740 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11265 on: March 13, 2013, 05:15:52 PM »
My sons' appetites. I swear from the time they come home from school it's "Mom can I have this? Can I have that?" I do let them snack and then it's "Can I have popcorn now? Can I have leftovers? Can I have a salad?" 

Then people tell me "Wait till they become teenagers!!"  :o  Crikey, they're almost 12 and 10.5 now, it's going to get WORSE? I swear if it gets worse than this I'll have to break down and get a Sam's Club membership.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mmswm

« Reply #11266 on: March 13, 2013, 05:23:11 PM »
My sons' appetites. I swear from the time they come home from school it's "Mom can I have this? Can I have that?" I do let them snack and then it's "Can I have popcorn now? Can I have leftovers? Can I have a salad?" 

Then people tell me "Wait till they become teenagers!!"  :o  Crikey, they're almost 12 and 10.5 now, it's going to get WORSE? I swear if it gets worse than this I'll have to break down and get a Sam's Club membership.

Yup.  It will get worse.  My oldest isn't too much older than your oldest, but his appetite has increase by at least double since he was 10.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #11267 on: March 13, 2013, 06:29:47 PM »
When I rule the world, and things are very much better organised than they currently are, computer error messages will actually convey to the reader what is wrong with the computer, rather than simply consisting of a random string of letters and numbers. I'm thinking that three or four should be enough:

'Turn it off and on again.'

'Reload the software.'

'Phone the IT people.'

'Get a new computer.'

And none of that '0x5591335447' nonsense.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #11268 on: March 13, 2013, 06:42:11 PM »
When I rule the world, and things are very much better organised than they currently are, computer error messages will actually convey to the reader what is wrong with the computer, rather than simply consisting of a random string of letters and numbers. I'm thinking that three or four should be enough:

'Turn it off and on again.'

'Reload the software.'

'Phone the IT people.'

'Get a new computer.'

And none of that '0x5591335447' nonsense.

YES!

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #11269 on: March 13, 2013, 07:11:49 PM »
Just started yawning, and it's barely 7 PM here.  :-\  See, I've been trying to keep to a regular sleep schedule, but it's difficult because of a pretty bad case of insomnia.  I either can't sleep unless I stay awake as long as I possibly can, or I can fall asleep easily at a reasonable time only to wake up for good just a few hours later.  The latter is what happened to me last night.  Or, rather, very early this morning.

Me: *opens eyes, sees it's still dark, and looks at the clock to see that it's only around 2:30 AM* Awwwwwww, come on...  >:( *rolls over, fluffs pillow a bit, and tries to go back to sleep*

I'm not gonna make it to 9.

alkira6

« Reply #11270 on: March 13, 2013, 10:37:38 PM »
My hair makes me nuts cause it's fine and straight, and aside from ponytail holders and bobby pins, things rarely stay in.  If I use barrettes, hair combs, scarves, or clips, I'm constantly having to redo my style throughout the day cause it'll slip out.

For that reason (and having a toddler) my hair's most often in a ponytail.

I have the same type of hair; straight fine, and *thick*.  Trying to get it to take any sort of curl involves a metric ton of product and prayers to both Thor and Ra to keep the rain away and the sun shining, as any amount of humidity will override all the hair product and make it fall straight again.

I really, *really* want to do Amy Pond cosplay at Dragon*Con this year.  I have the hair color and by the time August rolls around I'll have the length, but I'm just not sure how I'm going to get the waves.

Wash your hair well. Towel dry. Seperate into 4 sections and smooth in your preferred styling product.  Braid as tightly as you can stand, folding the ends over once and securing with a rubber band. Let dry naturally and stay in braids for as long as humanly possible (24 hours works best). when you are ready to style, unravel braids carefully and lightly fingercomb with pomade on the tips of your fingers.

A friend of mine with waist lenth thick stick straight hair does this when she wants waves and it stays waved for a whole day.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #11271 on: March 13, 2013, 11:12:17 PM »
This is a 13 year old boy, not some circus side show exhibit!

mmswm, when my daughter was three, she got Henoch Schonlein Purpura.   We freaked out because she was covered in large purple blotches - we didn't know if this was fatal, or nothing to be worried about, or something in between.  When we brought her to the hospital, it turned out that HSP was rare enough that the doctors were very excited to see her.  I'll never forget seeing a gang of them grouped around my poor frightened little girl.

Most doctors that I've met are awesome, but every so often, we meet the kind that forget that their patients are people.  In this case, a very small scared person.

On the opposite side, where you have a rare condition that no one can figure out, because the doctors think you're making it up. I have atypical migraines, which went undiagnosed for awhile. However, my migraines cause me to have what appears to be a full epileptic seizure, except I stay fully conscious. I was once in the hospital for 12 hours, shaking, stuttering, unable to control my limbs, sometimes fully paralyzed, and completely conscious... I looked like something out of The Exorcist. The doctors wouldn't even give me an Advil and suggested that I was just a nutcase who needed to calm down and stop trying to get attention.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #11272 on: March 13, 2013, 11:38:05 PM »
Student doctors I can deal with - I'm one of the oldest survivors of a type of tumor that grows on your spine while you're still a foetus, until the mid 80's most people with the condition either died because it was never detected (lack of ultrasounds on the developing baby) or if it was detected, then removal would cause severe spinal damage, or it was mistaken for spina bifida.

Student *nurses* who refuse to ask for help with things that they're clearly still learning? I want to smack them upside the head.

I had a blood draw the other day up at the hospital and the phlebotomist was training this new nurse (she was in the purple 'trainee' scrubs and had 'student nurse' on her ID) and when she phlebotomist asked 'have you done this before?' the trainee nurse said she had done it before, so the phlebotomist stepped back and watched as she poked at my arm *five times* to try and get a vein, before I pulled my arm away and asked the obvious question.

"Have you ever done this on a person?"
"Uh..."

Yeah. The qualified phlebotomist took over from there.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #11273 on: March 14, 2013, 01:50:16 AM »
Student doctors I can deal with - I'm one of the oldest survivors of a type of tumor that grows on your spine while you're still a foetus, until the mid 80's most people with the condition either died because it was never detected (lack of ultrasounds on the developing baby) or if it was detected, then removal would cause severe spinal damage, or it was mistaken for spina bifida.

Student *nurses* who refuse to ask for help with things that they're clearly still learning? I want to smack them upside the head.

I had a blood draw the other day up at the hospital and the phlebotomist was training this new nurse (she was in the purple 'trainee' scrubs and had 'student nurse' on her ID) and when she phlebotomist asked 'have you done this before?' the trainee nurse said she had done it before, so the phlebotomist stepped back and watched as she poked at my arm *five times* to try and get a vein, before I pulled my arm away and asked the obvious question.

"Have you ever done this on a person?"
"Uh..."

Yeah. The qualified phlebotomist took over from there.
They need the rules mom's lab had.
1. They practiced on each other
2. They practiced on themselves
3. They had to do a successful 1 stick draw on the doctor in charge of the lab.
4. Then and only then were they allowed to work on the public.

Mom had a series of small strokes that effected her personality. One day, late afternoon, she got very tired of the person trying to take her blood. she took the tools away - drew her own blood and demanded to see the doctor in charge of her old lab. (We told her he was visiting family in Canada - so she decided to speak to him when they got back) A note was put in her file that only certain people were allowed to take her blood after that and if possible do it before 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

I actually count us lucky. With one exception she never made inappropriate comments to the staff. In the hospital there was a German Male Nurse with a strong accent. When he was on the day shift they actually got along famously. At night she thought all of us were trying to kill her - but he was especially terrifying to her.  She called him awful names and threw things at him. He was very understanding of the sundowners/dementia. (They nearly released AMA one night - thankfully Sis knew exactly how to enforce our Medical POA's and we kept her in the hospital.)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #11274 on: March 14, 2013, 09:06:38 AM »
This is a 13 year old boy, not some circus side show exhibit!

mmswm, when my daughter was three, she got Henoch Schonlein Purpura.   We freaked out because she was covered in large purple blotches - we didn't know if this was fatal, or nothing to be worried about, or something in between.  When we brought her to the hospital, it turned out that HSP was rare enough that the doctors were very excited to see her.  I'll never forget seeing a gang of them grouped around my poor frightened little girl.

Most doctors that I've met are awesome, but every so often, we meet the kind that forget that their patients are people.  In this case, a very small scared person.

On the opposite side, where you have a rare condition that no one can figure out, because the doctors think you're making it up. I have atypical migraines, which went undiagnosed for awhile. However, my migraines cause me to have what appears to be a full epileptic seizure, except I stay fully conscious. I was once in the hospital for 12 hours, shaking, stuttering, unable to control my limbs, sometimes fully paralyzed, and completely conscious... I looked like something out of The Exorcist. The doctors wouldn't even give me an Advil and suggested that I was just a nutcase who needed to calm down and stop trying to get attention.

I have a rare spinal cord disorder.  Med students treat me like I'm the most interesting thing they've ever seen! 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11275 on: March 16, 2013, 11:44:04 PM »
Ugh, Trying to brew the polyjuice potion in Pottermore!!  I keep doing it wrong and have to go back and get more fluxweed! Why can't that one ingredient last longer than one potion?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

misha412

« Reply #11276 on: March 17, 2013, 12:43:23 AM »
I have a rare spinal cord disorder.  Med students treat me like I'm the most interesting thing they've ever seen!

My mom has a rare condition with her eyes that is only seen in people with diabetes. The problem is that she was tested and has since been tested many times and she does not have diabetes. It is a rare anomaly that shows up in only a few people.

Every time she goes to see the eye doctor for a check-up, the doctor becomes fascinated with what is going on in Mom's eyes. They insist on dialating her eyes every time she goes in, just to look at this condition. She has gone to several doctors over the years to try to find one that does not see her as a medical sample to poke and prod. She is still looking.

The doctor that really got me though was the one who wanted to dialate MY eyes at one of my mom's appointments. I was there to drive her home since she has trouble driving with dialated eyes. The doctor wanted to see if I had the same anomaly. He became quite upset when I declined the offer. (For the record, I do not have the anomaly and neither of my mother's parents nor any of her siblings had it.)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #11277 on: March 17, 2013, 04:41:19 AM »
Ok the medical students in the previous stories have behaved incorrectly. It reminded me something that happened to me in 7th  grade.

I went from A's to F's in Math. My parents went in to talk to may teacher. She admitted that my problem wasn't math. It was that I couldn't copy the info/work off the board in the time I had. Dad asked why she wasn't giving us hand outs like she had 1st semester. Was informed that the school was out of paper. Dad told her he would take care of it.

This launched Dad's famous paper drive. Basically he called every parent and asked them to donate paper to the school in protest to the school board. (For people from the Houston area this was Spring Branch ISD - which explains Dad's richest school in the richest district is not supposed to run out of paper rant. He also showed up at the school with a panel truck full of boxes of paper)

The teacher was also convinced that there was something wrong with my vision. So Mom and Dad took me to the UofH to be tested. I was tested by a doctor then by a group of students. I did need glasses. The students noticed that I moved weird. Basically I when I walked I moved my right hand and leg then my left hand and leg, instead of right hand left leg, left hand right leg. They determined I had a cross over. My brain is wired wrong and that explains a lot of my fine and gross motor skill problems. (I never crawled properly. I bear walked with my rear up in the air, moving same side hand and foot) They went back through my school records and found that my 3rd grade teacher had DOCUMENTED that she forced me to use only my left hand. This made the problem worse.

I was part of a medical study after that. As part of the study I got PT to help with my motor skills. My sister also was not put in that 3rd grade teacher's classroom. Didn't get the diagnoses of Dyslexia or dysgraphia for 6 more years - because my reading level was too high for me to have an LD.  :o
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Redsoil

« Reply #11278 on: March 17, 2013, 07:54:19 AM »
kherbert - quick question if I may?  Brain Gym exercises?

It's so important for babies to learn to crawl well and not be forced into "walking" prematurely, but it seems many people are never told of the reasons behind that (helps "set" brain signals correctly).
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11279 on: March 17, 2013, 08:05:24 AM »
What about those who don't crawl?  I'm told I never crawled, but I didn't walk early either. I just rolled wherever I wanted to go.  My brother however started walking around 8 months old because our father tried to get him to walk early.

Neither of us walk oddly though, for having not crawled or in his case, walked early.