Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1738657 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11370 on: March 30, 2013, 04:56:24 PM »
When people say "you call that cold?" when they live in an area that gets colder than the mid-atlantic and are used to colder temps.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #11371 on: March 30, 2013, 05:06:52 PM »
That Popsicle brand popsicles come in a variety pack.  I wish they came in a single flavors pack as I really only like one flavor (orange).  I will eat the cherry flavor if I really want a popsicle.  I LOATHE the grape one.

Please come live with me!  I'll eat all your grape ones and the cherry ones, too, if you'll just take the blasted orange ones away!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Faerydust

« Reply #11372 on: March 30, 2013, 05:52:20 PM »
Wet door knobs. Menus placed on still wet tables. That most stores carry non-fat greek yogurt, but it's so hard to find the full-fat which I prefer.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11373 on: March 30, 2013, 05:54:12 PM »
When people say "you call that cold?" when they live in an area that gets colder than the mid-atlantic and are used to colder temps.

Conversely, when you tell people that it's hot out so you have the A/C going, and they say "oh that's wasteful, just open a window!"  Um, 98 degree heat with 90% humidity makes that unfeasible if I want to live, and if I want my computer to live.

reflection5

« Reply #11374 on: March 30, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »
When you blow your nose and mention you’re getting over a cold, and someone says “A cold?  I had the flu, (bronchitis, etc.) had to go to the ER because it turned into pneumonia, and I almost died.  I should have been so lucky to just have a cold.”
 :-\ ::) 

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #11375 on: March 30, 2013, 06:05:52 PM »
That Popsicle brand popsicles come in a variety pack.  I wish they came in a single flavors pack as I really only like one flavor (orange).  I will eat the cherry flavor if I really want a popsicle.  I LOATHE the grape one.

Please come live with me!  I'll eat all your grape ones and the cherry ones, too, if you'll just take the blasted orange ones away!

I would gladly give you all my grape ones.  ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11376 on: March 30, 2013, 06:20:03 PM »

Conversely, when you tell people that it's hot out so you have the A/C going, and they say "oh that's wasteful, just open a window!"  Um, 98 degree heat with 90% humidity makes that unfeasible if I want to live, and if I want my computer to live.

Yeah opening a window only works when the outside weather doesn't resemble Lucifer's sauna.  For opening a window to work there has to be a nice breeze outside.  We don't have central air (old house, ductwork not suitable and too expensive to be worthwhile) just window units and several fans.  When we lost power for several hours 2 summers ago when it was 100 degrees F out and more humid than Satan's butthole.   And I was pregnant, too.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #11377 on: March 30, 2013, 06:35:58 PM »

You don't want your interior walls to sweat?  ;)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11378 on: March 30, 2013, 10:37:17 PM »

Or people who virtuously say, "I NEVER turn my a/c on, unless its really hot out, I just open the windows." That's nice but as someone who is always warm, I need it on and keep it on once the temps hit the 70's. It helps my allergies too.

And let us not forget those who try and tell you that keeping it on all the time is wasteful. Perhaps, for some, but again, I am always hot. I have 2 thru-the-wall units; one in my LR and a second in my BR. I keep them on 24/7 about 5 months out of the year. When I got to work, I turn them way down. So when i get home, I just have to crank them up and its cool in a matter of minutes. I do not want to come home at 10 pm, after working both jobs, to an apt that is hot, icky, and humid.

And since my apt is fairly small, my electric bills really arent' that bad. I know this, and know I like it like a meat locker, so I plan for it.  I finally had to nicely tell my 80-something neighbor downstairs when she started paying my electric bill, she could then tell me to turn it off during the day!

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #11379 on: March 31, 2013, 03:21:54 AM »
The air conditioning talk reminded me a situation I keep running into and it irks me every time. I live in southern Arizona. It's hot in the summer (and the spring, and the fall...).Every so often in the middle of the summer a co-worker or other acquaintance will say, in a panicky tone, "My air conditioner's broken!" I commiserate because that truly is a horrid, miserable thing to have happen. Then the person continues, "Yeah, now we're having to use the evaporative cooler."

All I have is an evaporative cooler. We don't have air conditioning. It's all I can do not to call the person a whiny wussbag.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #11380 on: March 31, 2013, 10:01:20 AM »

Or people who virtuously say, "I NEVER turn my a/c on, unless its really hot out, I just open the windows." That's nice but as someone who is always warm, I need it on and keep it on once the temps hit the 70's. It helps my allergies too.

And let us not forget those who try and tell you that keeping it on all the time is wasteful. Perhaps, for some, but again, I am always hot. I have 2 thru-the-wall units; one in my LR and a second in my BR. I keep them on 24/7 about 5 months out of the year. When I got to work, I turn them way down. So when i get home, I just have to crank them up and its cool in a matter of minutes. I do not want to come home at 10 pm, after working both jobs, to an apt that is hot, icky, and humid.

And since my apt is fairly small, my electric bills really arent' that bad. I know this, and know I like it like a meat locker, so I plan for it.  I finally had to nicely tell my 80-something neighbor downstairs when she started paying my electric bill, she could then tell me to turn it off during the day!

My sister would always comment about how early we turned our AC on, how she never turns it on, etc. But she can do that because her house is in a well-shaded street and uses heavy window treatments so her house is always really dark. She lives in a sketchy neighborhood so wouldn't have the window treatments open anyway, but I like to see out my windows. And we have zero trees around us, so our house acts a lot like a greenhouse. We do have some window treatments up but even so, with no trees there's not much other protection. It's AC or overheat in our house.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11381 on: March 31, 2013, 11:55:34 AM »
The air conditioning talk reminded me a situation I keep running into and it irks me every time. I live in southern Arizona. It's hot in the summer (and the spring, and the fall...).Every so often in the middle of the summer a co-worker or other acquaintance will say, in a panicky tone, "My air conditioner's broken!" I commiserate because that truly is a horrid, miserable thing to have happen. Then the person continues, "Yeah, now we're having to use the evaporative cooler."

All I have is an evaporative cooler. We don't have air conditioning. It's all I can do not to call the person a whiny wussbag.

Yeah, but that's Arizona.  Try an evaporative cooler in New Jersey.  :)

Library Dragon

« Reply #11382 on: March 31, 2013, 12:07:38 PM »
The wasteful argument is annoying.  Leaving the AC all the time on is often more practical and beneficial.  We live in an area that is HUMID every summer.  Hit the air with a stick and it rains.  Turning off the AC, rather than adjusting the temp, means that when AC is turned on it has to over work to cool and dehumidify. 

When my IL moved to Florida they went from no AC to a central AC and dehumidifier in the apartment.  Everyone of their 5 sons reported that they had to turn the system back on when visiting. FIL kept turning it off, but then complained of mold growing in the apartment.  We all showed him how to keep it at a comfortable temp and adjust the dehumidifier.  He would humor us all, turn it off after we left, then complain of mold growing within a few days.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11383 on: March 31, 2013, 12:17:26 PM »
Spin off on the 'you think that's cold/hot?' question.

Visiting a place on vacation and hearing, 'Well, it's nice enough  now but, last week, ( whatever interests you about the place) was perfect'. 

Must control fist of death! 

mmswm

« Reply #11384 on: March 31, 2013, 12:22:08 PM »
My father's house has two different a/c zones.  The "main" zone is the original part of the house.  The secondary zone is the extension they built after Hurricane Andrew (1992).  The secondary zone is smaller, but has a more powerful a/c. The air gets run pretty much year round because even when it's "not hot" (70's and low 80's), it's still wicked humid, and the a/c pulls the moisture out of the air.

Anyway, currently the primary a/c unit is misbehaving.  My father has cranked up the secondary system and used fans to pull the air out of that part of the house and blow it into the rest of the house.  This mostly works, except at night.  You see, my bedroom is in the secondary zone.  My parents insist that my dogs sleep in my bedroom with the door shut.  This means that nearly all of the cool air from the secondary a/c is pumping straight into my room.  The largest of the ducts going to the air vents goes to that room, as it was built with the intent of that room being a computer room, and dad wanted to makes sure that with 4-6 computers running, the room stayed cool.  The thermostat, however, is in another room, so the system thinks that the temperature is higher than it should be, and keep blowing cold air.  I stuck a digital wall thermometer in there, and when I woke up half frozen last night, I checked it.  It was 54F in my bedroom.  Dad really needs to get the primary a/c fixed.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)