Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1296796 times)

Shalamar

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11385 on: March 31, 2013, 12:35:37 PM »
My parents keep bugging me about how often we run our dishwasher, which is about once a day.  "WE only run ours once a week, if that!"   Yes, but there's only TWO of you.   There's four people in my household, so we accumulate dirty dishes a lot faster.  Not to mention the fact that my parents eat out a lot more often than we do.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #11386 on: March 31, 2013, 12:35:45 PM »
My kitchen was between 5 and 10 degrees C a couple of weeks ago, the concrete floor was agonising because I forgot my slippers.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #11387 on: March 31, 2013, 12:45:45 PM »
When people say "you call that cold?" when they live in an area that gets colder than the mid-atlantic and are used to colder temps.

Conversely, when you tell people that it's hot out so you have the A/C going, and they say "oh that's wasteful, just open a window!"  Um, 98 degree heat with 90% humidity makes that unfeasible if I want to live, and if I want my computer to live.

My family is spread out around the world.  Sometimes we forget the differences - but we always assume that the people living in X place know how to handle the weather there and defer to them.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11388 on: March 31, 2013, 02:36:45 PM »
I do a lot of work on Ancestry, tracing my family tree.  I have "regular" commenters and posters who are apparently distantly related to me working on other parts of the tree.  It's fun to share theories and finds :).

I thought I had hit a gold mine when actual photographs of some people (distant relatives) popped up and I attached them to the relative I was working on.  Today, I get a message: "Sorry, those people aren't attached to your relatives" from someone without a lot of posts, who I'd not spoken with before, and who was not researching my family.  I've decided to keep them on, as this is a more distant branch and until I get more "proof" that I'm wrong, they can stay.

Maybe it seems petty, but on something like Rootsweb or Ancestry, if you make a comment to a stranger like that, back it up or tell the person how they're wrong and who the people actually are  >:(

ETA: The photographs were from the early 1900's, I'd never met those people or seen the pictures before.

(It occurred to me that "Genies" from here might also be on Ancestry; maybe we need our own thread :)).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 02:38:47 PM by guihong »

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #11389 on: March 31, 2013, 02:56:08 PM »
When there's a glaring mistake somewhere and you can't correct the person who made it. 

Today's is at http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/2013-03-31-C72504577AFD.  That's not a lab, that's a very pale golden retriever or golden mix.  Labs don't have the feathery fur on tail and ruff and legs.  They have a flat, short coat. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #11390 on: March 31, 2013, 04:41:01 PM »
When there's a glaring mistake somewhere and you can't correct the person who made it. 

Today's is at http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/2013-03-31-C72504577AFD.  That's not a lab, that's a very pale golden retriever or golden mix.  Labs don't have the feathery fur on tail and ruff and legs.  They have a flat, short coat.

Definitely not a lab.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

JadeAngel

« Reply #11391 on: March 31, 2013, 06:45:50 PM »
My father's house has two different a/c zones.  The "main" zone is the original part of the house.  The secondary zone is the extension they built after Hurricane Andrew (1992).  The secondary zone is smaller, but has a more powerful a/c. The air gets run pretty much year round because even when it's "not hot" (70's and low 80's), it's still wicked humid, and the a/c pulls the moisture out of the air.

Anyway, currently the primary a/c unit is misbehaving.  My father has cranked up the secondary system and used fans to pull the air out of that part of the house and blow it into the rest of the house.  This mostly works, except at night.  You see, my bedroom is in the secondary zone.  My parents insist that my dogs sleep in my bedroom with the door shut.  This means that nearly all of the cool air from the secondary a/c is pumping straight into my room.  The largest of the ducts going to the air vents goes to that room, as it was built with the intent of that room being a computer room, and dad wanted to makes sure that with 4-6 computers running, the room stayed cool.  The thermostat, however, is in another room, so the system thinks that the temperature is higher than it should be, and keep blowing cold air.  I stuck a digital wall thermometer in there, and when I woke up half frozen last night, I checked it.  It was 54F in my bedroom.  Dad really needs to get the primary a/c fixed.

In the meantime pile all the dogs onto your bed for extra warmth!!  ;D

squeakers

« Reply #11392 on: March 31, 2013, 07:39:42 PM »

Definitely not a lab.

The page has a spot where the photo is voted on and it says "Golden Retriever at the beach."

That said.. Labs can have long feathery coats.  It's not a breed/ring-worthy trait but it does happen.  It's a recessive trait. http://webpages.charter.net/lofgren/Fluffy.htm and http://www.gatewaylabs.com/html/long-coated_labradors.html
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #11393 on: March 31, 2013, 08:06:56 PM »
I do a lot of work on Ancestry, tracing my family tree.  I have "regular" commenters and posters who are apparently distantly related to me working on other parts of the tree.  It's fun to share theories and finds :) .

I thought I had hit a gold mine when actual photographs of some people (distant relatives) popped up and I attached them to the relative I was working on.  Today, I get a message: "Sorry, those people aren't attached to your relatives" from someone without a lot of posts, who I'd not spoken with before, and who was not researching my family.  I've decided to keep them on, as this is a more distant branch and until I get more "proof" that I'm wrong, they can stay.

Maybe it seems petty, but on something like Rootsweb or Ancestry, if you make a comment to a stranger like that, back it up or tell the person how they're wrong and who the people actually are  >:(

ETA: The photographs were from the early 1900's, I'd never met those people or seen the pictures before.

(It occurred to me that "Genies" from here might also be on Ancestry; maybe we need our own thread :) ).

Is it ok if your proof is knowing people involved? someone had listed my grandmother's stepgrandmother as her grandmother. I didn't have proof in paper work - but I knew the story.

My grandmother's grandfather had been widowed. He married a woman several decades younger. At first the family saw her as a gold digger. Then my grandmother's father died very young leaving a young widow and 4 or 5 JH and elementary aged children. Step-grandmother took care of things. She made sure the family didn't lose their home, that the kids all had what they needed, including university education for 2 of the girls and the boy that survived to adulthood (My grandmother married young making the choice not to go to university it was offered and this was in the 1920's) I think one of the reasons my grandmother always said step-grandmother was she was making a point that this woman had no moral or legal obligation to do what she did - that she did it because she was a grand and kind woman.

I sent this information to the person that had her listed as my grandmother's bio grandmother clearly saying this was an oral history. I admit I had a sneaking feeling - and wasn't surprised when my 1st cousin's husband wrote back saying he had forgotten that story till I reminded him.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11394 on: March 31, 2013, 08:48:47 PM »
I wish I had more pictures of my ancestors.   And while I know my father's paternal grandfather came from Co. Galway, Ireland, we don't know exactly where in Co. Galway he was from though when my grandparents went there apparently there were some family members still behind and living in the same thatched cottage on the coast that their ancestors had lived in but that still doesn't tell me exactly where they are. 

And other than her first name, I know nothing about Grandpa's mother.  I know her name was Bridget but I don't even know if that's the right spelling, her birthdate or year, if they met in the US or in Ireland or any clue as to where she's from in Ireland just that she was from there.  She passed when Grandpa was 16 so none of her grandchildren know anything about her, really
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Adelaide

« Reply #11395 on: April 01, 2013, 10:53:03 AM »
There are two law students here who are both immature for their respective ages. They're both very smart, but socially awkward,. When they started dating most of us agreed that it was a good match and they made a cute couple. At first they were very touchy and would routinely walk down the hall holding hands or sit curled up together in one of the lounges. It raised a few eyebrows because literally no other couple engages in that sort of behavior here, but pretty much no one commented on it at first.

Now it's become really egregious. We're talking wrestling around in the lounges and constant grabbing/giggling. They've bumped into things and have knocked over chairs and trash cans with their play fighting/tickling. (And keep in mind, this is inside the law school.) It seems like it's getting worse with time, not better. I try to avoid them, but of course since we're such a small class (and we have subjects together) it's hard to. A guy who had a mixer at his house told them point-blank to stop wrestling/messing around because they were going to break something and they wouldn't stop, they just went off in a corner.  ::)

Shalamar

« Reply #11396 on: April 01, 2013, 11:48:40 AM »
Spelling errors on Facebook from people who should know better - for example, if they're posting on their company's page.  I had "liked" a dieting company, and they recently posted this gem:

How's your weight loss going?  Lets here your story's!  (Bolding mine.)

Good GRIEF. :o

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #11397 on: April 01, 2013, 12:48:54 PM »
My in-laws were away at the beach last week, and on Sunday of that week we had a significant storm come through with damage near their house. They immediately called DH, and asked him to go check the house and yard. DH and I went over to check, and aside from some brush and small debris having been blown around, didn't see anything amiss. We opened the house and it was musty, but the PIL do not ever open the windows and air out the house, and they don't run the air unless it is 90 degrees out. Also, they had their water heater bust last month while they were away and it soaked the carpet and pad, which they used fans to dry but did not pull up to make sure the pad is dry.  ???

MIL called DH yesterday to complain that she has been congested and not feeling well ever since they got home, and also a tree had fallen since we checked on their house and why didn't we notice it? Also, DH's chainsaw has been left inoperable by FIL, and now they need a chainsaw to use to get rid of the tree.  >:(

*I imagine there is some mold/mildew from the hot water tank flooding that has been made worse by them having the air conditioner off for 10 days.
*The tree had not fallen when we were there, and probably fell over the next 5 days.
*A new chainsaw is not in our budget right now. DH has offered himself and DS to assist with clean-up this afternoon.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11398 on: April 01, 2013, 12:52:50 PM »
Spelling errors on Facebook from people who should know better - for example, if they're posting on their company's page.  I had "liked" a dieting company, and they recently posted this gem:

How's your weight loss going?  Lets here your story's!  (Bolding mine.)

Good GRIEF. :o

That's... that's almost beautiful.  75% of the sentence is wrong.  Are you positive that wasn't intentional, being April 1?  Because otherwise... wow.  They just made some very retentive people have a complete cranial detonation.

Shalamar

« Reply #11399 on: April 01, 2013, 01:32:08 PM »
Nope, because it happened on March 29.   ;D  I'd love to believe that it was a prank, but alas, I think not!