Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1786290 times)

laud_shy_girl

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11430 on: April 07, 2013, 04:18:44 PM »
lol

If something is funny and you want to emphasis it with lol, fine. I have been known to use it my self when it's relevant. There seems a trend to put it at the end of everything, especially on Face book

Some recent examples...

Watching "film" with daughter lol (film is not a comedy)
Just had yummy pie for dinner lol.
Going to mums lol.
Going to bed lol.

These are not funny and I doubt you are laughing out loud so stop using lol.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #11431 on: April 07, 2013, 04:28:04 PM »
lol

If something is funny and you want to emphasis it with lol, fine. I have been known to use it my self when it's relevant. There seems a trend to put it at the end of everything, especially on Face book

Some recent examples...

Going to mums lol.
Going to bed lol.

Please explain this to my teenage SIL!  Please!  I'm pretty sure she's convinced it's punctuation or something.  Makes me want to shake the computer and scream.
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11432 on: April 07, 2013, 04:42:38 PM »
lol

Some recent examples...

Going to mums lol.
Going to bed lol.

I just don't like it. Perhaps its the influence of my Grandmother who was an English teacher, but I never use it.  I guess for me, its something kids use, and I am not a kid. But that's just my view of it

Shalamar

« Reply #11433 on: April 07, 2013, 05:37:36 PM »
Ugh, tell me about it.   This was my former fitness instructor's last Facebook post.   For the record, she's a very smart and cool lady, but you sure can't tell:

" Sweet I run out of smokes take big dog for a walk boom Donkey's Patoot really lol as soon as he said hey I'm a hockey player n I said u look like a pipe squeak ask these dudes behind the counter how I punched out the last dude pissing me off hmmmm they all left n I walked home going really lol"

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11434 on: April 07, 2013, 05:48:50 PM »
Ugh, tell me about it.   This was my former fitness instructor's last Facebook post.   For the record, she's a very smart and cool lady, but you sure can't tell:

" Sweet I run out of smokes take big dog for a walk boom Donkey's Patoot really lol as soon as he said hey I'm a hockey player n I said u look like a pipe squeak ask these dudes behind the counter how I punched out the last dude pissing me off hmmmm they all left n I walked home going really lol"

Um what? 

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #11435 on: April 07, 2013, 08:08:37 PM »

I can decipher it, but I've heard preschoolers with better thought flow and grammar. Oi.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11436 on: April 07, 2013, 08:14:39 PM »
I may have posted this several times already, but it always gets me that Manhattan buildings often don't have their street numbers on them.  What is this about?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11437 on: April 07, 2013, 08:17:35 PM »
It's not just in Manhattan.  In many places, most businesses and a lot of homes don't have numbers visible.  I don't know why.  And this isn't a factor of GPS technology -- it goes back 25 years or more.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #11438 on: April 07, 2013, 08:17:48 PM »
I may have posted this several times already, but it always gets me that Manhattan buildings often don't have their street numbers on them.  What is this about?

Yeah, I remember that from when I visited NYC a couple years ago. That was so baffling, and made it kinda hard to find my way back to the hotel.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #11439 on: April 07, 2013, 10:14:15 PM »

*sob*

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #11440 on: April 07, 2013, 10:50:59 PM »
Knowing I'm right and everyone else is wrong but no one will listen to me.

Example in point: the origin of the phrase "Mind your p's and q's."  There are conflicting ideas behind the origin of this phrase and one one really agrees on it.  At work today, a coworker asked if anyone knew the origin.  I began to speak up that I did, and although many think it is from the printing press -- "NO, IT MEANS PINTS AND QUARTS."  Yes, that is thought to be one of -- "NO, HE'S RIGHT. IT MEANS PINTS AND QUARTS."  Yes, thank you, I'm aware that is one proposed explanation; there are many but no one agrees on which is the right one.

They nay-sayers out numbered me, they had all heard that origin and nothing I said was going to change that.  Yes, I gave up when I realized they didn't want to hear a thing from me, but it was frustrating, especially because they were making fun of me.  "Just give up, Magpie, you're wrong." 

No, actually I'm not, but if you would take a moment to not believe everything you hear and actually do a minimal research on it, you would realize that...
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11441 on: April 08, 2013, 09:51:41 AM »
When the same people ask me the same things, over and over, or ask me other things relating to other topics we’ve discussed. My cousin is famous for this one. She KNOWS I plan on buying a new car in Aug/Sept. And she KNOW I am taking a 10 day trip with my mom in Oct. Yet for something like the 3rd time she asked if I wanted to go on vacation again in sept (what we did several years ago). And when I told her I couldn’t since I needed to save for a car, and also didn't have the vacation time, it was like this was the first time she was hearing me say it!

And in the same vein, people who ask you “how about this?” or “have you thought about that?” As someone who is a planner and explores all options, it drives me nuts, like I am a blithering idiot who has no idea about anything!  Same cousin did that to me. I know she means well, but I think I’m old enough to figure out the best way to travel to my mom’s! (which is what the discussion was about)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11442 on: April 08, 2013, 10:06:44 AM »
Or if people repeat the same things over and over in response to the same comments.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11443 on: April 08, 2013, 10:22:06 AM »

This has always baffled me as well.  It's better in Brooklyn but trying to find a street address in Manhattan is maddening.  On cross-town streets, unless you can know that the even numbered buildings are on the south side of the street, you can be totally put of luck. 

Along the same lines, finding street signs in London can be a sort of scavenger hunt.  Most are at the level of the first story  but others seem to be non-existent.  Of course, in London, if you wamder around long enough, you'll find something of interest.   :)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11444 on: April 08, 2013, 10:22:44 AM »
I just don't like it. Perhaps its the influence of my Grandmother who was an English teacher, but I never use it.  I guess for me, its something kids use, and I am not a kid. But that's just my view of it

I find "lol" useful for places where, in conversation, you'd give a chuckle. Something to give a sense of "yes, I find this funny". I do find it funny (in the "odd" sense) to use it for things like, "So, I went to the store lol, and I picked up some bread lol, and then I came home and watched TV lol."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."