Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1562919 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11445 on: April 08, 2013, 10:26:22 AM »
I may have posted this several times already, but it always gets me that Manhattan buildings often don't have their street numbers on them.  What is this about?

I think she went out to pick up a pack of cigarettes, someone started hitting on her in the store, and she told him she had punched out the last person who tried to do so. I think.

Or maybe it's a recipe for chocolate cake. One or the other.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11446 on: April 08, 2013, 10:35:46 AM »
I find 'lol' as annoying as I used to find "ha-ha" in the same context. I tend to overuse smiley faces.

I wonder what the next "let's lighten up this sentence" annoyance will be.  :)  <-- See! I told you!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #11447 on: April 08, 2013, 01:04:37 PM »
Or if people repeat the same things over and over in response to the same comments.

I have an extremely awkward 17 year old college freshman who sits next to me, talks to me and asks advice a lot of times. Twice, this semester, he has addressed the professor by her first name (without being given permission to do so).  :o Both myself and another student have mentioned to him that he should address the professor as either Ms. Last name or professor.

Today, he told us he thinks that is only done in K-12 school, not in college and he can address any professor, dean, the president of the university by their first names. Oh, I would give a dollar to be in the room if he tried.  >:D

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11448 on: April 08, 2013, 02:40:29 PM »
Or if people repeat the same things over and over in response to the same comments.

I have an extremely awkward 17 year old college freshman who sits next to me, talks to me and asks advice a lot of times. Twice, this semester, he has addressed the professor by her first name (without being given permission to do so).  :o Both myself and another student have mentioned to him that he should address the professor as either Ms. Last name or professor.

Today, he told us he thinks that is only done in K-12 school, not in college and he can address any professor, dean, the president of the university by their first names. Oh, I would give a dollar to be in the room if he tried.  >:D

He's well on his way to being a Professional Darwinism casualty.

Shalamar

« Reply #11449 on: April 08, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
My dad didn't attend university until he was in his late thirties, and as a result, he was very close in age to some of his professors.  Even so, he addressed all of them as "Mr./Ms. Lastname", and all of them were fine with that except for one guy who said "Eh, call me Bill".  He taught Dad calculus, and they often went for a beer together after exams.  :)

mmswm

« Reply #11450 on: April 08, 2013, 04:23:40 PM »
I had a particular professor for one class.  We got along swimmingly.  He continued to be my unofficial adviser until I graduated.  After I graduated I wound up working with him.  I still couldn't shake calling him Dr. Lastname.  We became friends.  I still called him Dr. Lastname.  Even when we started talking until 3am several times a week (after my divorce), I still called him Dr. Lastname.  Finally, years past our professor/student days he finally said "you know, it's really way past time you started calling me by my first name." It was really tough to make the transition.  For a while I tried to avoid calling him anything.  Then he called me out on that.  To this day, decades later, I still occasionally slip and call him Dr. Lastname.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

blueyzca01

« Reply #11451 on: April 08, 2013, 04:28:14 PM »
" Sweet I run out of smokes take big dog for a walk boom Donkey's Patoot really lol as soon as he said hey I'm a hockey player n I said u look like a pipe squeak ask these dudes behind the counter how I punched out the last dude pissing me off hmmmm they all left n I walked home going really lol"

*sob*

Really, I cannot tell if Americans are getting dumber or we're just more aware of all the idiots out there.
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Shalamar

« Reply #11452 on: April 08, 2013, 04:33:03 PM »
Heh, that quote was from a Canadian, but yeah, you gotta wonder. 

I really don't get it, because if you ever met her, you'd think "Wow, what a cool and smart lady!"  A bit of a rough diamond, true, but really has her, ahem, "stuff" together.  And yet her Facebook posts make her sound like anything but.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11453 on: April 08, 2013, 04:37:39 PM »
I can't imagine that someone would write that incoherently deliberately, particularly since you say she sounds pretty intelligent when speaking. Maybe some sort of learning disability?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #11454 on: April 08, 2013, 04:46:56 PM »
I can't imagine that someone would write that incoherently deliberately, particularly since you say she sounds pretty intelligent when speaking. Maybe some sort of learning disability?

Stream of consciousness while typing on a smartphone? That's my only thought.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11455 on: April 08, 2013, 04:58:49 PM »

Stream of consciousness while typing on a smartphone? That's my only thought.

A stroke, brought on by caffeine overdose, while getting hit by a taxi, doing jumping jacks in the street.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #11456 on: April 08, 2013, 05:34:52 PM »
Using the word "sale" when you should be using the word "sell"

"I want to sale some things on eBay."

I know it's not a typo because I've been seeing it more and more and consistently (as opposed once and then used correctly thereafter).  We had one of these "What things bug you" threads on another forum and it was mentioned by more than a few people.  Is this a new thing and I just haven't caught on yet?

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #11457 on: April 08, 2013, 05:37:32 PM »
A little thing that's driving me nuts right now is unsynchronized naptimes. Baby woke up right right before DD went down for her afternoon nap. I can usually get Baby to fall asleep as we're headed out to pick up DS from preschool, then they're all up until after lunch, and Baby/DD take an afternoon nap. Some glorious days I can even get DS to lie down.

With the kids being sick last week, our schedule is totally out of sync and I've got kids sleeping in shifts.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11458 on: April 08, 2013, 05:39:23 PM »
Using the word "sale" when you should be using the word "sell"

"I want to sale some things on eBay."

I know it's not a typo because I've been seeing it more and more and consistently (as opposed once and then used correctly thereafter).  We had one of these "What things bug you" threads on another forum and it was mentioned by more than a few people.  Is this a new thing and I just haven't caught on yet?

I've seen the inverse:  "I've got some thing for sell."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #11459 on: April 08, 2013, 06:52:14 PM »
My dad didn't attend university until he was in his late thirties, and as a result, he was very close in age to some of his professors.  Even so, he addressed all of them as "Mr./Ms. Lastname", and all of them were fine with that except for one guy who said "Eh, call me Bill".  He taught Dad calculus, and they often went for a beer together after exams.  :)

This is my third year in college, and I am 44. I am older than half my professors, and still call them Mr/Ms Last Name or Professor/Doctor as appropriate. I have been given far more opportunities to speak my mind because I am courteous.