Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1785370 times)

diesel_darlin

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11460 on: April 08, 2013, 11:47:28 PM »
I wound up being in a club/activity with a woman who taught at my high school. I have been out of school for 14 years and I cannot to this day use her first name. It just doesnt feel right. She is Mrs. X.  ;D

KimberlyM

« Reply #11461 on: April 09, 2013, 01:06:10 PM »
Using the word "sale" when you should be using the word "sell"

"I want to sale some things on eBay."

I know it's not a typo because I've been seeing it more and more and consistently (as opposed once and then used correctly thereafter).  We had one of these "What things bug you" threads on another forum and it was mentioned by more than a few people.  Is this a new thing and I just haven't caught on yet?

I've seen the inverse:  "I've got some thing for sell."

I hate both of those, then add in the inability to sell clothes and you get "I'm saleing these cloths" UGH! 

The one that really gets me though is on craigslist when the add starts with "You are buying".  No, I'm not, I'm looking at your ad!

Carotte

« Reply #11462 on: April 09, 2013, 01:12:04 PM »
A certain form of parenting that I had to endure in the doctor's waiting room (thankfully only for 10min).
I won't give details because parenting styles can be a touchy subject, but I will just say that it would have been better if the mom hadn't said a thing at all, how she handled the situation was not going to improve it.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11463 on: April 09, 2013, 03:43:08 PM »
A certain form of parenting that I had to endure in the doctor's waiting room (thankfully only for 10min).
I won't give details because parenting styles can be a touchy subject, but I will just say that it would have been better if the mom hadn't said a thing at all, how she handled the situation was not going to improve it.

Mildly tilting my head to the side and asking gently and quietly and quizzically, "What are you trying to say?"

Was she yelling, grabbing the kid violently to control him, verbally being cruel?

I'm sorry you were uneasy.

Carotte

« Reply #11464 on: April 09, 2013, 04:06:08 PM »

Mildly tilting my head to the side and asking gently and quietly and quizzically, "What are you trying to say?"

Was she yelling, grabbing the kid violently to control him, verbally being cruel?

No, no such things, thanks deity!
I don't really have a say in it since I don't have kids but I still think as a parent you should 'own up' and do your own parenting...
She was using the "I'll tell on you and tell the doctor you played with the curtain" and "the doctor will not be pleased if she finds out you were on the floor!".
The boogieman tactic, blame it on someone else, because your child will probably hate you for the rest of her life if you dare say "I don't want you to play with the curtains or on the floor"  ::).

Yes, sometimes you have to drag other people in it if whatever rule (ex: don't walk on the grass) is not something you usually observe but here (special case, nice park with flowers) you have to obey the place's rule.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #11465 on: April 09, 2013, 04:32:18 PM »

I don't really have a say in it since I don't have kids but I still think as a parent you should 'own up' and do your own parenting...
She was using the "I'll tell on you and tell the doctor you played with the curtain" and "the doctor will not be pleased if she finds out you were on the floor!".
The boogieman tactic, blame it on someone else, because your child will probably hate you for the rest of her life if you dare say "I don't want you to play with the curtains or on the floor"  ::).

Yes, sometimes you have to drag other people in it if whatever rule (ex: don't walk on the grass) is not something you usually observe but here (special case, nice park with flowers) you have to obey the place's rule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxQhLZ5bMyQ&sns=em

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11466 on: April 09, 2013, 04:38:36 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxQhLZ5bMyQ&sns=em

Thanks. Still a very valid concern, maybe even more than the ones I mentioned. I hate, hate, hate the one about "I am going to get the policeman to punish you."

mmswm

« Reply #11467 on: April 09, 2013, 04:39:22 PM »
I have to admit that I've occasionally used a third party bad guy, but in a slightly different context.  For example, I've told my kids that it's disrespectful to put their shoes on the couch, and that <couch owner> would be very unhappy, though it was very clear that any consequences for making my friend the couch owner unhappy would be doled out by me.  I think that last part is what makes the difference.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Carotte

« Reply #11468 on: April 09, 2013, 04:59:25 PM »
I have to admit that I've occasionally used a third party bad guy, but in a slightly different context.  For example, I've told my kids that it's disrespectful to put their shoes on the couch, and that <couch owner> would be very unhappy, though it was very clear that any consequences for making my friend the couch owner unhappy would be doled out by me.  I think that last part is what makes the difference.

That does make quite a difference, just like if the mom had said "I don't want you playing with the curtain, it's not nice and the doctor wouldn't like it if you played with her furniture".
She never used the I-you interaction, but the she-you, putting herself out of the picture. No surprise the kid would stop for 30 sec and start again.

TexasRanger

• Bondye Bon
« Reply #11469 on: April 09, 2013, 07:21:44 PM »
People who reply to my "for sale ads" on Craigslist and then vanish into thin air.

Example: Someone emails/texts/calls and says they have fallen in love with a certain goat and would love to come out and buy/look at said goat. He/She says they need to talk to their spouse/parent/child and that they will get in touch with me. I never hear from them again.

Whats even worse then those people, are the one's who actually set up a time to go come to my house and never appear. I will call/text/email them and never get a response.

Bourik swe pou chwal dekore ak dentel

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #11470 on: April 09, 2013, 09:04:14 PM »
That isn't using 3rd party. That is teaching empathy and respect for others.

I was in a pizza place a nice one without a playroom with 2 younger cousins once. They were elementary aged. The younger one, Sean, was playing up and being obnoxious.

Two officers came in and sat near us.

Basically I asked  Sean what police officers did and how he thought people treated them. Then I asked him what type of "neighbors" the officers would want in a restaurant. When I went to get the pizza from the counter - Sean got his sister to go to the officers table with him and he apologized - no prompting on my part. When I went to get refills one of the officers came and thanked me for not making them the bad guy. Honestly I would have used any other customer to make the point. If no other customer then the staff. The fact that it was police officers was just a lucky bonus for me - because I knew Sean saw them as heroes.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Calistoga

« Reply #11471 on: April 09, 2013, 09:22:49 PM »
Dust jackets.

They annoy me so...so...much.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11472 on: April 09, 2013, 09:41:47 PM »
Dust jackets.

They annoy me so...so...much.

Didn't you mention that in the reading/book peeves?

Just throw them out.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11473 on: April 09, 2013, 09:44:03 PM »
Ice cream trucks.

Ice.  Cream.  Trucks.

The noise, the heat, the kids screaming for ice cream, the warbly off-tone "music" that seems to invariably be a Christmas carol for some silly reason.  That they always always ALWAYS idle RIGHT outside and leave the "music" going full tilt for ten minutes while the kid decides if he wants a vanilla cone with chocolate sprinkles or a chocolate cone or maybe a sundae and I'm inside with the music cutting through my head like a diamond drill bit and they won't shut it off they never shut it off why won't they shut it off and they finally move on and THE MUSIC IS IN MY HEAD NOW.

So, ice cream trucks.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11474 on: April 09, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
Ice cream trucks.

Ice.  Cream.  Trucks.

The noise, the heat, the kids screaming for ice cream, the warbly off-tone "music" that seems to invariably be a Christmas carol for some silly reason.  That they always always ALWAYS idle RIGHT outside and leave the "music" going full tilt for ten minutes while the kid decides if he wants a vanilla cone with chocolate sprinkles or a chocolate cone or maybe a sundae and I'm inside with the music cutting through my head like a diamond drill bit and they won't shut it off they never shut it off why won't they shut it off and they finally move on and THE MUSIC IS IN MY HEAD NOW.

So, ice cream trucks.

There's one that comes to my complex that plays "La Cucuracha" which I think is hysterical. The last thing you want in your ice cream truck is cockroaches!