News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 20, 2018, 01:23:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5484679 times)

Piratelvr1121

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11400 on: April 10, 2013, 12:22:44 PM »
Not having a tracking # for something I sent.  I've gotten so used to knowing when something's going to get to where I meant it to go.   But it means going up to the post office, which I don't really feel like doing with a toddler.  So when I sent a friend a surprise care package (little one in a manilla padded envelope) I just slapped 3 stamps on it (calculated the price based on the weight), addressed it and popped it into the mail on Monday. 

She's in Iowa, eastern part of it, and I would guess if it's going with the regular mail it might get there in two days, and she usually gets her mail while on lunch break which is now but I haven't heard anything and don't even know if maybe it will get there tomorrow.

Note to self, suck it up and go to the post office to get a tracking # even for the smallest package.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

lilfox

« Reply #11401 on: April 10, 2013, 12:29:51 PM »
About using the police as the "bad guy" behavior enforcers, Mary Poppins does this in the movie.  Some role model.

That whole movie bugs me.  The kids are as meek as anything without actually being invisible but the parents and Mary Poppins treat them like they're incorrigible hellions.  And then the family crisis is resolved by the hired help quitting her job, which she was doing poorly by the parents' standards anyway...  Whatever.  The charm escapes me.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #11402 on: April 10, 2013, 12:38:12 PM »
Well by today's standards Jane and Michael were angels, but that was in the days of "children should be seen and not heard" so I imagine by those standards Jane and Michael were being naughty just by being normal children. 

And while the parents, especially the father, seemed to really stick to that idea till just before the end, I didn't really see Mary Poppins treating them that way, just that she was trying to teach them the proper time and place for fun.  By Edwardian standards, anyway.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #11403 on: April 10, 2013, 12:47:29 PM »
Just seen the advert - Apple have it right as the "divide by 4" is outside the square root.

It looks like this:

Sqrt (7^3 - 19)
------------------

That makes sense anyway, as indices (square root is the same as to the power 0.5) should be done before multiply/divide/add/subtract anyway by BIDMAS rules.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #11404 on: April 10, 2013, 01:47:40 PM »
One of our newer neighbors.  We own our home but there are a few homes around us that were at one point made into duplexes for rent.  Now as anyone knows, you never really know what you'll be dealing with when it comes to having renters for neighbors.  On our right we have absolutely wonderful neighbors.  The kind you share the bounty of your garden with and not just the zucchini (though I wouldn't mind that, I like zucchini)

There's another family, well I can't say the whole family's bad cause I don't even know the wife, and the kids are fairly decent. Well they're not obnoxious anyway.  The husband, from my interactions with him anyway, just seems like a jerk.  He's always got something snide to say.  DH planted some shrubs alongside our house to hopefully discourage this guy from using the strip of grass there to back up his truck.  (the back of their house faces the side of ours, and there's a wide alley between) and he doesn't need to run it over but he did.  I found a branch of one of the shrubs broken off so clearly he just doesn't care.

On Saturday we got some mulch and on Sunday after church, worked in our garden to try to cover up all the weeds and it now looks really good with all the flowers and the fish pond we have back there.   Monday I'm back there on the bridge over the pond with Piratebabe letting him admire the fish and the guy drives by and says  "Wow, you finally made it look decent back here."

Now granted our garden was looking shabby, but there were a lot nicer ways he could have said that.  Our neighbors on our right said "Wow, your yards looking great, we saw you guys working really hard!"  and teased me about the mulch bags being about as big as I am. 

I had to bite my tongue and just pretended he said something truly complementary. 

mmswm

« Reply #11405 on: April 10, 2013, 01:55:29 PM »
Piratelvr, have you considered placing large, tire damaging rocks along your property line? I had a neighbor that was similar to your neighbor and the large rocks did the trick.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #11406 on: April 10, 2013, 01:58:54 PM »
Well by today's standards Jane and Michael were angels, but that was in the days of "children should be seen and not heard" so I imagine by those standards Jane and Michael were being naughty just by being normal children. 

And while the parents, especially the father, seemed to really stick to that idea till just before the end, I didn't really see Mary Poppins treating them that way, just that she was trying to teach them the proper time and place for fun.  By Edwardian standards, anyway.

Plus she can make the toys put themselves away. I'd hire her just for that, LOL

MIL is annoying me greatly right now because she just can't ask me to do something and then gets into a snit because I didn't do the thing she never asked me to do.

I have a sewing machine and she uses it sometimes.  She either can't or won't learn how to thread it, so I do it for her.  Last night, I got home and she said, "Wouldn't you know it!  I got half way through my project and ran out of thread."  I thought she was telling me about an annoying thing that happened.

This morning, DH called me up at work and asked me why I couldn't be bothered to thread the machine for his mom.  I told him exactly what she told me and now he's exasperated too.  Apparently, she left the part about how she never actually asked me to do anything out of her vent.

I took "I ran out of thread" to mean, "Now I have to go to the store and get more." not "So can you please take this thread spool I had in my own stash but haven't even given to you and re-thread the machine for me?"

::)

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #11407 on: April 10, 2013, 02:10:16 PM »
Piratelvr, have you considered placing large, tire damaging rocks along your property line? I had a neighbor that was similar to your neighbor and the large rocks did the trick.

That is a fine idea, and I may just try that. 

Since our kitchen window lines up with the back of their house, one evening I saw their grill was right outside their back door and had flames leaping off it in that "let's see what happens when we add half a bottle of kerosene on it!!" kind of way.  I kept waiting for their house to catch fire. Not wanting it too, but expecting it to but it never did.   Isn't there some safety rule that your grill should be a good distance from the house? Like, 10 ft?

siamesecat2965

« Reply #11408 on: April 10, 2013, 02:19:15 PM »

That is a fine idea, and I may just try that. 

Since our kitchen window lines up with the back of their house, one evening I saw their grill was right outside their back door and had flames leaping off it in that "let's see what happens when we add half a bottle of kerosene on it!!" kind of way.  I kept waiting for their house to catch fire. Not wanting it too, but expecting it to but it never did.   Isn't there some safety rule that your grill should be a good distance from the house? Like, 10 ft?

The rule of common sense perhaps?

My friend had a similar issue in her old townhouse; she had a driveway, which she parked in, and then some sort of apron, along the front, parallel to the sidewalk, which was on her property, where an additional car could park. However, she had neighbors who had a number of cars, which wouldn't fit in their own driveway, and rather than simply park on the street, where there was ample room, and they could, they'd park on her apron. Which irked her to no end, and the one time she politely asked them to move, they were not.

She finally solved the problem by getting a couple of these, http://www.kmart.com/black-17-gal-tub-w/p-011W004879178001P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1 and filing them with dirt and some flowers, and placing them smack in the middle of the apron.

rose red

« Reply #11409 on: April 10, 2013, 02:30:47 PM »
Has this happened to anybody else?  There are certain telephone numbers that make the Caller ID function on our home landline telephone disappear.  For example, I see the telephone number (one of which is my sister's work phone), answer, talk, hang up.  After that, Caller ID stops working until I call the phone company.  It's so weird and annoying.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #11410 on: April 10, 2013, 05:46:01 PM »
Ice cream trucks.

Ice.  Cream.  Trucks.

The noise, the heat, the kids screaming for ice cream, the warbly off-tone "music" that seems to invariably be a Christmas carol for some silly reason.  That they always always ALWAYS idle RIGHT outside and leave the "music" going full tilt for ten minutes while the kid decides if he wants a vanilla cone with chocolate sprinkles or a chocolate cone or maybe a sundae and I'm inside with the music cutting through my head like a diamond drill bit and they won't shut it off they never shut it off why won't they shut it off and they finally move on and THE MUSIC IS IN MY HEAD NOW.

So, ice cream trucks.

There's one that comes to my complex that plays "La Cucuracha" which I think is hysterical. The last thing you want in your ice cream truck is cockroaches!

"La Cucaracha" has many variations, but the most common modern version is about marijuana.  Pretty appropriate for ice cream!
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #11411 on: April 10, 2013, 05:54:32 PM »
Piratelvr, that "finally made it look decent" comment reminds me of my MIL's comment when we told her we'd bought some new crockery.  "It's about time."    ???   For the record, our old crockery was perfectly nice CorelleWare.

You know what kills me is the guy's own yard isn't anything to write home about.   Not that his comment would be any better if he were an expert landscaper or something.  It's simply a small square of grass, with most of it fenced off from the rest where they have bonfires.

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11412 on: April 10, 2013, 06:56:21 PM »
Not having a tracking # for something I sent.  I've gotten so used to knowing when something's going to get to where I meant it to go.   But it means going up to the post office, which I don't really feel like doing with a toddler.  So when I sent a friend a surprise care package (little one in a manilla padded envelope) I just slapped 3 stamps on it (calculated the price based on the weight), addressed it and popped it into the mail on Monday. 

She's in Iowa, eastern part of it, and I would guess if it's going with the regular mail it might get there in two days, and she usually gets her mail while on lunch break which is now but I haven't heard anything and don't even know if maybe it will get there tomorrow.

Note to self, suck it up and go to the post office to get a tracking # even for the smallest package.

I'm active on a forum where we frequently send stuff to each other.  I get tracking numbers for everything.

AuntieA

• Now a great-Auntie x2!
« Reply #11413 on: April 10, 2013, 07:30:48 PM »
Aha! My thanks to everyone who led me to the correct solution of that equation. I've been too long away from algebra classes, it appears. Now I can stop gritting my teeth when I see that ad.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #11414 on: April 10, 2013, 07:31:33 PM »
Piratelvr, that "finally made it look decent" comment reminds me of my MIL's comment when we told her we'd bought some new crockery.  "It's about time."    ???   For the record, our old crockery was perfectly nice CorelleWare.

You know what kills me is the guy's own yard isn't anything to write home about.   Not that his comment would be any better if he were an expert landscaper or something.  It's simply a small square of grass, with most of it fenced off from the rest where they have bonfires.

Once or twice, when people have had a history of giving "compliments" like that, I would tilt my head as if confused and ask stiffly, "What's that supposed to mean?" and watch them backpedal.