Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1750324 times)

Shalamar

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11520 on: April 12, 2013, 07:36:37 PM »
People wonder why I order from this place when its pizza is so expensive compared to other places:

Diana's Gourmet Pizza

Three reasons:  they use only fresh, top-quality ingredients, they're really close to our house, and every last person I've ever encountered there has been polite, friendly, and helpful.  I'd buy from them every week f I could afford it.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #11521 on: April 12, 2013, 07:48:34 PM »
Got my crochet project?  Check.  Got my extra balls of yarn?  Check.  Got my scissors and yarn needle?  Checkity-check.  I sit down, get all settled, and a yarn ball rolls off my lap and roll-bounces just out of reach.  I get up to retrieve it, and my crochet hook falls out of my work with a loud "Clang!".  Crochet is only "relaxing" when the materials decide to behave themselves.  ;D

Add to that a small fluffy dog who decides that once the crocheting comes out, that it is now THE perfect time to hop up on Mum's lap for snuggles.

(Usually followed by a second small fluffy dog who hates it when anybody else is getting attention, then occasionally a kooky kitty - and the resulting bunfight that then ensues.  Sigh.   :-\ )

Allyson

« Reply #11522 on: April 12, 2013, 09:26:06 PM »
The idea that 1) one's own standards of attractiveness are universal and b) 'hotness' should be the deciding factor for everyone's partner. For instance, if someone (fictional or real) does something silly/dumb in the name of love, and someone says 'ugh, and he/she isn't even hot!' talking about the person the silly thing was done for. As though if they were sufficiently conventionally attractive it would be more sympathetic. I see this a lot on television forums and the like, and it always makes me irrationally angry.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11523 on: April 12, 2013, 10:04:32 PM »
I don't remember whether I mentioned this upthread, but when Snow White and the Huntsman was in the theatres I paid one visit to its IMDb message board and almost lost my lunch.  The longest thread on it was the one insisting that Kristen Stewart have a specific surgical procedure.

Unfortunately, we are just about at the point where "Number 12 Looks Just Like You" is a sad reality in how people think.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11524 on: April 13, 2013, 08:44:10 AM »
People who are oblivious to their surroundings. I went to a tricky tray last night (for those who don't know what they are, its a fundraiser, where you buy tickets, and put tickets in container for the baskets you want to try and win). At this one, like many, there are different levels of baskets, corresponding to the value of the prize. Also, the way my group always does it is you rip your tickets ahead of time, so as you move down the line of tables holding the prizes, you can just stick them in, and move on. In others words, you're ready to go. Usually there is a booklet available too, listing all the prizes., but there wastn't at this one, so that was part of the issue

But there were so many who would stop, look, sloooooolwy rip off a couple tickets, and then discuss "oh what's this?" "Do I want that? and so on. As well as stop and write down what they had put in for after they had done it. I was behind two like that and it took everything I had to not tell them to step it up, and move on. and as it was a moving line, and packed to the gills, there was nowhere to go. I swear it took 3 times as long to get through the line last night than any other time I've been to one.

Adelaide

« Reply #11525 on: April 13, 2013, 02:35:49 PM »
I don't remember whether I mentioned this upthread, but when Snow White and the Huntsman was in the theatres I paid one visit to its IMDb message board and almost lost my lunch.  The longest thread on it was the one insisting that Kristen Stewart have a specific surgical procedure.

Unfortunately, we are just about at the point where "Number 12 Looks Just Like You" is a sad reality in how people think.

That's a Twilight Zone reference, right? There's a book series called Uglies that I'm convinced was inspired by that episode.

As far as what's driving me up the wall, my dryer doesn't have enough torque to keep my tennis shoes plastered against its wall. They're bumping around so loudly that you can hear it from the hall.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11526 on: April 13, 2013, 04:59:30 PM »

That's a Twilight Zone reference, right? There's a book series called Uglies that I'm convinced was inspired by that episode.

It was.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Snooks

« Reply #11527 on: April 14, 2013, 07:07:34 AM »
I now refuse to be the one to place the order to a particular pizza place because they're always rude over the phone.  Tonight was my last time doing it, and I'm sticking to it.  >:(

The person who picked up was a man whom I've never talked to before, and his English wasn't good at all (not a shot, I promise).  I couldn't understand him, and he couldn't understand me.  I think he must be new.  He passed the phone over to the woman who usually answers, and the conversation was as follows...

Her: *without a hello* What was it?
Me:  :o Um...the order or the address?
Her: *sounding annoyed* The address. *after I give it* And the phone number? *I give that, too* It'll be about 45 minutes. *hangs up*
Me:  >:( *dials again to confirm the order*
Her: Hello, *place's name*.
Me: Hi, sorry, it's me again.  I just wanted to make sure the order was correct, because there was-- *doesn't get to finish*
Her: *rattles off the order, which is only half-correct*
Me: Actually, only the first half of it is right, I--
Her: *exasperated now* What do you want, then?
Me: *takes a deep breath and tells her, then quickly adds before she can hang up again* And I just need the total, please.
Her: Just a minute. *adds it up, then gives it to me with a snotty-sounding* Is that it?
Me: Yeah, that's it.  Thank you very--
Her: Yeah. *hangs up*

The food there is very good, or we wouldn't continue to order from there.  The woman always sounds angry, never gives you your total, and acts like we're wasting her time just by calling.  The delivery people are always really nice; them and the food are the place's only saving grace.

This is why I order our pizza online now.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11528 on: April 14, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
I wish ANY non-chain places in Philly had online ordering.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11529 on: April 15, 2013, 08:06:41 AM »
Not really a little thing anymore:  Transferring money to PayPal now takes 3-5 business days when it used to be instantaneous.

Redsoil

« Reply #11530 on: April 15, 2013, 08:09:39 AM »
When people deliberately spin a yarn online, sucking others in and causing quite a lot of angst in the process.  I've seen it done a few times and it really is a nasty thing to do to people who feel for the "victim". 
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11531 on: April 15, 2013, 08:10:23 AM »
Not really a little thing anymore:  Transferring money to PayPal now takes 3-5 business days when it used to be instantaneous.

Oh I know. :P I've only had it when it took 3-5 days and wished it were faster!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

lilfox

« Reply #11532 on: April 15, 2013, 02:28:18 PM »
This isn't bad enough to be PD, and we'll continue to shop there since it was likely a one-off, but this was SO frustratingly dumb:

We went to Lowe's a few days ago to look at flooring.  One particular type seemed good so I decided to buy a sample which was 25 cents.  That was my only purchase, so DH took our daughter outside to wait.

This Lowe's doesn't have self-checkout and only two registers open at the time, so I settled in to wait (mistake #1, should have ditched the sample and left).  Then a third opened and called for the "next" person, so being a good eHellion, I motioned for the guy at the head of the wait to go first, then followed him  (mistake #2, I was physically closer and with only one small thing and change ready, would have been out of there before the other guy had even walked over).  Then a fourth register opened up right next to it and I stepped over, to be helped immediately by Useless Cashier (mistake #3).

I put the sample block down on the counter, label up, to be scanned, and I had to direct Useless' attention to it since he had taken to staring at me blankly.  I also had out a quarter and a dime, which I handed to him (I didn't note that he didn't say the cost out loud, $0.27 after tax).  He took the coins, dropped them in the till, and closed it.  I looked at him expectantly, and he said "Oh!  Your receipt" and handed that to me.  I said "You still owe me 8 cents..." which he had to think about, since according to the receipt, he had put that I gave him 27 cents in change.  With two coins, but that's beside the point.

Now, it turns out that a cashier can't just reopen the register, so he had to call for a manager.  No one picked up on his first try, so he tried again.  Put the flashing light on, used the PA system...  Nothing.  In the meantime, I'm weighing the fact that I'm wasting all this time for 8 measly cents while my family is getting antsy, but I could not believe it could take quite so long.  In the meantime, rather than apologize the cashier told me a really dumb (totally G-rated) joke, like that would help.  No one got behind me in line, fortunately, or unfortunately since he had no chance to open the till again for another customer.

DH and DD walked back in to find out what's up, DH thought it was ridiculous that I had been waiting for five minutes for 8 freaking pennies, and just then a manager finally showed up.  And he tried to scan his card to open the register, and it failed to scan.  THAT was the last straw.  I didn't even bother to explain to the manager (I could not have done so calmly and there was nothing that would rectify the situation at that point), I just said "This is ridiculous" and walked out.

I let a cashier's incompetence and stupid wait for 8 cents drive me up the wall.  Grr.    ::)  I didn't even think it was a "pocket the change" scam, the cashier was just too clueless for that, but I was darned if I was going to leave until at least a manager showed up.  Sheesh.

Cami

« Reply #11533 on: April 15, 2013, 02:53:50 PM »
Right now a coworker who is head of the department responsible for such office machines as our digital printer/copier is standing at the copier, fruitlessly pressing EVERY button multiple times as if she's playing Whack a Mole. Each pressed button emits a high-pitched BEEP! She thinks that there is some magic combination of buttons she can press that will make the copier do what she want.  She has steadfastly refused to learn how to use this machine, won't open the manual, and won't ask a question because that would mean betraying the reality that she is not omniscient.

Of course, standing at a machine for FIFTEEN MINUTES, blindly pressing buttons -- that BEEP -- is going to prove beyond any shadow of a doubt that you are not remotely related to the word, ominscient.

The BEEPBEEPBEEPING!

mmswm

« Reply #11534 on: April 15, 2013, 03:25:50 PM »
Official South Florida Frog Drowners (tm).  These are thunderstorms that appear out of nowhere and dump enough water in a short enough amount of time that "even the frogs are drowning in their search for higher ground". 

About a 45 minutes ago all the kids were happily playing in the pool under a cloudless sky. There was a flash that both my father and I both barely caught, followed by a 10 second rumble of rolling thunder.  Since then enough rain has fallen that half the (2 acre) yard is under water and pieces of the foam mat that we keep out on the pool deck have floated away.  If this storm stays true to typical, the kids will be back in the pool under a sunny, cloudless sky within 2 hours.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)