Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1647787 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11535 on: April 15, 2013, 03:31:42 PM »
Cynical Pirate is wondering if she may have fibbed a bit on her resume or in the interview, claiming she was an expert on that piece of technology.

I'm getting really annoyed with my hair.  I bought one of those donut thingies to do a "sock" bun and my hair does NOT want to roll around the durned thing neatly in such a way as to make the bun look pretty and neat.  :P

I'd love to do something easy, quick and cute with my hair besides the standard ponytail but it won't hold a curl for long, even with mousse, won't stay put with hair sticks, combs don't stay put, clips and barrettes slide.

I swear, now I know why my dad's sisters only ever wear their hair down or in a ponytail. :P
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mmswm

« Reply #11536 on: April 15, 2013, 03:35:06 PM »
Cynical Pirate is wondering if she may have fibbed a bit on her resume or in the interview, claiming she was an expert on that piece of technology.

I'm getting really annoyed with my hair.  I bought one of those donut thingies to do a "sock" bun and my hair does NOT want to roll around the durned thing neatly in such a way as to make the bun look pretty and neat.  :P

I'd love to do something easy, quick and cute with my hair besides the standard ponytail but it won't hold a curl for long, even with mousse, won't stay put with hair sticks, combs don't stay put, clips and barrettes slide.

I swear, now I know why my dad's sisters only ever wear their hair down or in a ponytail. :P

My mother has really thin, smooth and silky hair.  It doesn't stay up for anything.  Well, it didn't stay up for anything until she discovered those little twisty pins that look like a double helix. They come in several sizes and she gets the smallest ones she can find and uses three of them to keep her hair into a nice, neat bun.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11537 on: April 15, 2013, 04:20:47 PM »
I used to have those, but lost them at some point. Might have to get them again.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Shalamar

« Reply #11538 on: April 15, 2013, 04:26:45 PM »
Cami, your co-worker must be related to mine.  Here's a conversation I overheard one day:

Annoying Co-Worker:  Open up!  Open up!
Other Co-Worker:  What are you doing?
Annoying Co-Worker:  Trying to get my computer to open this spreadsheet.  Open up!  Open up!
Other Co-Worker:  What's the problem?
Annoying Co-Worker:  Oh, it's just really slow.  Open up!  Open up!
Other Co-Worker:  ... you do know that yelling "open up" doesn't do anything, right?
Annoying Co-Worker:   *laughs*  I know, but it makes me feel better.  Open up!  Open up!
Other Co-Worker:  ...
Me:  *headdesk*

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11539 on: April 15, 2013, 11:05:28 PM »
I used to have those, but lost them at some point. Might have to get them again.
Have you tried a spider clip? I have super fine hair and they work for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Colour-Collection-Spider-Burnette/dp/B004R7N6M6/ref=sr_1_46?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1366081467&sr=1-46&keywords=spider+clip
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11540 on: April 16, 2013, 07:58:48 AM »
I've tried those and sometimes they work, depending on what kind of hairstyle I'm going for.  I think the main problem is I have fine, slippery hair, but I have a lot of it.  So when I've used clips like that and try to put my hair up in a proper twist, the clip won't quite grab my hair well enough to hold it into place.

However if I do a messy twist and leave the ends loose it works.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #11541 on: April 16, 2013, 08:57:43 AM »
The Eagle.  Two weeks ago I asked him to go get something done to his car which would take all of 15 minutes, including the drive.  He meant to do it one day after class but the location on the internet did not match the actual location.  By that time it was 4:45, so I don't blame him for not pushing it as the place closed at 5:00.

However, I do blame him for not getting it done in the intervening 2 weeks since then.  I even said, "Please get it done by the end of this week."  Sunday came and went.  Monday: "Are you going to get it done today?"  He told me he would; I even asked him to do it a few other times, too.  It has been 2 weeks and it still isn't done.  He couldn't do it yesterday or today because of the snow (his car isn't necessarily safe in the snow so I don't blame him), but it's just one more reason it still hasn't been done.

Could I do it?  Sure, but I asked him to, and he has a bad habit of just letting things go until I get so frustrated that I take care of it myself.  I am not doing it this time.  Nope.  What are the consequences for him?  There are none, and that drives me up the wall, too.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11542 on: April 18, 2013, 10:29:19 AM »
You're going on vacation in the morning and you're reading a wonderful book.  You won't be able to finish it before you leave but will probably finish it on the plane. 

It's a book you want to keep and read again but it's big and you don't want to carry the dead weight around for two weeks. 

Yeah, I know.  I should get a Kindle or a Nook but I DO love my paper. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11543 on: April 18, 2013, 10:48:58 AM »
I have a Kindle and still will read paper books that I still have around and haven't bothered to get on my Kindle just yet.  :)  They are great for travel for that very reason.  :)

Carotte

« Reply #11544 on: April 18, 2013, 11:27:05 AM »
E-books only available in a format you can't use:

There's a book I wanted to get, two options, paperback+shipping would have been around 22$, for kindle it was 4 or 5$.
The catch, only available on Kindle, and I only have access to a Kobo...

I was almost planning on making some doe eyes at a friend of mine to try and borrow his Kindle (plus pay for the book and a beer) but thankfully a few days ago the book appeared on amazon.fr, so I have free shipping and the book will only be 10$ or so.

(fourth option was having it send in the US to a friend of my SO who is coming next month, but I didn't want to burden him and have him carry a book. I'd rather have him carry some almond M&M's, they're ridicule pricey here since they're import, and I haven't had the opportunity to taste them.)

So yeah, add to the list: yummy things from international brands that only make some flavors available for one country. And I'm not asking to have every flavors of Japanese kit-kats ( cheese kit-kat anyone?), just the nice ones..

missanpan

« Reply #11545 on: April 18, 2013, 11:30:17 AM »
So I spent my time ironing a shirt only to remember, when I put it on, that I had bought the shirt when I was 20 pounds lighter. Gah! So not only do I not have a shirt to wear, I completely wasted my time!

Betelnut

« Reply #11546 on: April 18, 2013, 11:34:16 AM »
Books without the UPC/ISBN on the back cover.  It slows me down at work to have to LOOK for the dang ISBN and type it in rather than scan it.  Sigh.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Cami

« Reply #11547 on: April 18, 2013, 12:37:29 PM »

I'm wondering with you. Since I cannot fire her, however, my bigger issue is her steadfast refusal to even TRY to learn the knowledge she needs to run the department.  It's not like this is highly esoteric knowledge available only to those speaking Aramaic. It's available to her, along with everyone else who can read. And it's part of your job description! So learn it already. Arrrrgh.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11548 on: April 18, 2013, 12:45:26 PM »
You're going on vacation in the morning and you're reading a wonderful book.  You won't be able to finish it before you leave but will probably finish it on the plane. 

It's a book you want to keep and read again but it's big and you don't want to carry the dead weight around for two weeks. 

Yeah, I know.  I should get a Kindle or a Nook but I DO love my paper.

Mail it home to yourself. Probably a little pricey, but hopefully cheaper than a new book.

Carotte

« Reply #11549 on: April 19, 2013, 05:28:14 AM »
My SO who doesn't mind his words. There's not an ounce of bad thought or being mean or anything behind it, he just doesn't realise how he comes across sometimes.

For example, telling me that he'd like me to dress more like a girl is not the same as telling me he'd like to see me in a dress and heels.
The former just negate the fact that I'm a real girl if I don't dress in miniskirts and heels and make my bosom the business of everyone.
No, he'd just like to see me in a dress. And I'd like to see him wearing something else than what he's been wearing since he's 16, so for the past 12 years, but I don't say it like that!

Oh, and "hum, no, maybe it's too late, I'm not sure it's usefull that we get into a civil union this year because it won't affect our taxes" should have been a sure way to get a slap, as it is he was too far away. I was speechless but did tell him that that was -32 in romanticism.
If the only reason he wants to get into a civil union is to pay less taxes there's only one answer he'll get, a big no.
He saw no problem in what he had say. I should tell him to talk to some of his girl friends before he tells me these things, pretty sure they agree with me.
(and btw, we've been together for a year, he asked me to move in three days ago, dude has no sense of timing either).