Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1565752 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11565 on: April 19, 2013, 05:02:06 PM »
My lazy right eye.  Visually it doesn't really cause much of a problem besides some double vision at times but it just looks so strange, especially in pictures.

Me too, especially when I am tired it looks awful in pictures and I get a lot of people laughing at how "drunk" I appear when I hadn't had any alcohol  :(

Sheesh.  I'm already self conscious about it as it is.  My mother used to interrupt me anytime she noticed my eye wandering off on its own and decided to see an optometrist to see what could be done about it.  He said "Well if it bothers HER that much, there's eye exercises and surgery but I don't recommend the latter unless it's seriously impeding her vision." 

I wanted to say "Well the eye isn't bothering me, but SHE is!"  ::) 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #11566 on: April 19, 2013, 07:18:43 PM »
The sound of someone filing their nails.  Nails on a chalkboard.  A fork scraping on a plate.  Belly buttons.  People who have nasty feet wearing sandals.  Little kids screaming like banshees for no reason.  I could go on for hours...am I that intolerant ???

mmswm

« Reply #11567 on: April 19, 2013, 07:26:04 PM »
The sound of someone filing their nails.  Nails on a chalkboard.  A fork scraping on a plate.  Belly buttons.  People who have nasty feet wearing sandals. Little kids screaming like banshees for no reason.  I could go on for hours...am I that intolerant ???

Visiting my house is out then. :D  When the kids are outside playing I don't make them lower the volume at all.  Nearest neighbor is over a mile away, so I don't have to worry about that.  I figure it lets them get the noisies out and they can behave like humans instead of monsters when they're inside or out in public.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #11568 on: April 19, 2013, 08:19:44 PM »
The sound of someone filing their nails.  Nails on a chalkboard.  A fork scraping on a plate.  Belly buttons.  People who have nasty feet wearing sandals. Little kids screaming like banshees for no reason.  I could go on for hours...am I that intolerant ???

Visiting my house is out then. :D  When the kids are outside playing I don't make them lower the volume at all.  Nearest neighbor is over a mile away, so I don't have to worry about that.  I figure it lets them get the noisies out and they can behave like humans instead of monsters when they're inside or out in public.

Your kinds aren't exactly little, though, mmswm, at least by my standards; and I bet if you told them to quiet down, they would.  When I read *inviteseller's post, I was thinking 3 year olds, who will scream and can't really be told to cut it out and be expected to immediately listen.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

BarensMom

« Reply #11569 on: April 19, 2013, 08:24:36 PM »
Suggesting either a marriage or civil union, on the grounds of the financial benefits, is about minus infinity in the romance department.

DH & I married when he turned 25 so he'd get the extra "25 and married" discount on his auto insurance.

mmswm

« Reply #11570 on: April 19, 2013, 08:28:58 PM »

Your kinds aren't exactly little, though, mmswm, at least by my standards; and I bet if you told them to quiet down, they would.  When I read *inviteseller's post, I was thinking 3 year olds, who will scream and can't really be told to cut it out and be expected to immediately listen.

True, but I was mostly being silly.  Though, I did teach my kids when they were that little that there was a time for screaming like banshees and a time to use lower volumes. I'd say they were in the 3-4 range when they were reliable about responding when I told them to "turn down the volume a few notches" or "use their inside voices".
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #11571 on: April 20, 2013, 12:39:51 PM »
I don't mind pitching in and cleaning when company is coming over.  I am willing to work with a list of tasks, and I will follow clear directions.  But when I've received no list upon request (I do better with just a list; they can't alter themselves to add on extra tasks with no end in sight!), and I get asked for "just one more favor" at least three times after I've done my part?  Uh-uh.  I cleaned the bathroom, made a batch of farmer's cheese and a batch of pumpkin chili for the party (both my idea, but still it's work), it isn't even my company that's coming over, and insomnia kept me from turning in last night.  When I say I'm done for the day, I mean it.  And if I want to go to bed rather than socialize with someone else's company, I'm going to do it.

In short...cleaning under a deadline, and being nagged while doing so.  THAT drives me up the wall!  ::)

AllyKat

• AllyKat's Alcove
« Reply #11572 on: April 20, 2013, 03:19:52 PM »
E-books only available in a format you can't use:

There's a book I wanted to get, two options, paperback+shipping would have been around 22$, for kindle it was 4 or 5$.
The catch, only available on Kindle, and I only have access to a Kobo...

I was almost planning on making some doe eyes at a friend of mine to try and borrow his Kindle (plus pay for the book and a beer) but thankfully a few days ago the book appeared on amazon.fr, so I have free shipping and the book will only be 10$ or so.

(fourth option was having it send in the US to a friend of my SO who is coming next month, but I didn't want to burden him and have him carry a book. I'd rather have him carry some almond M&M's, they're ridicule pricey here since they're import, and I haven't had the opportunity to taste them.)

You can download a converting program. I had to because I only have a Kindle and the books I wanted were for Kobo. I just googled "convert for Kindle" and got a program.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #11573 on: April 20, 2013, 06:54:05 PM »
We use Calibre. It works wonderfully!

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #11574 on: April 21, 2013, 06:39:24 AM »
Sometime last night, someone left a lit cigarette on the outside picnic table.  The table is glass, but it has a plastic "rim" or "border".  That border now has a brown burn mark on it.  There are two former smokers who live here, so please, just ask for an ashtray...  >:(

Dr. F.

« Reply #11575 on: April 21, 2013, 12:07:05 PM »
Typos and editing mistakes in Kindle versions of books. I just got e-copies of all of Dorothy Sayers' books, and I'm noticing a ton of them. Miss Dorland ends up being Miss Borland for about two chapters, and then switching back. The phrases in other languages are particularly bad. Whoever edited it clearly does not speak French - several words were completely impossible.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #11576 on: April 21, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »

Really ? In the TeamBhakta house growing up, that would've resulted in "You will behave or you will get time out / we're leaving this place / you will not get (whatever fun event)." Outdoor voices / noises were fine, but repeatedly screaming for the sake of screaming = out of the question, partly because it was rude to the neighbors and partly because of "Screaming is to let people know there's an emergency" 

mmswm

« Reply #11577 on: April 21, 2013, 12:43:02 PM »

Really ? In the TeamBhakta house growing up, that would've resulted in "You will behave or you will get time out / we're leaving this place / you will not get (whatever fun event)." Outdoor voices / noises were fine, but repeatedly screaming for the sake of screaming = out of the question, partly because it was rude to the neighbors and partly because of "Screaming is to let people know there's an emergency"

The rules are a little different at my parents' house, as they have acres of land and their nearest "neighbor" is a commercial plant nursery. This is the place where they *can* scream like banshees for no reason at all and not bother anybody.  I found that when they were little, regular visits to Oma and Granddad's house helped keep in line the rest of the time, and I think that was because they knew there was a "time and a place", and any place but Oma's house wasn't it.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11578 on: April 21, 2013, 02:27:21 PM »
I can sympathize with the screaming like banshees irritation.  In our old neighborhood, there were two girls who loved to come over to our house, aged 8 and 10.  These two girls would emit ear piercing shrieks when happy.  Indoors, sometimes right next to me.   ::)

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #11579 on: April 21, 2013, 02:47:23 PM »
I can sympathize with the screaming like banshees irritation.  In our old neighborhood, there were two girls who loved to come over to our house, aged 8 and 10.  These two girls would emit ear piercing shrieks when happy.  Indoors, sometimes right next to me.   ::)

While I love kids and am very happy to have them play around my place, there are days when it gets to me. We're a townhome complex with a fire land right outside my front door. No cars, so it's a really safe place for kids to play. The unfortunate part about the setup is that it's like a long, narrow canyon (the buildings are all two stories high) so sounds echo. Some of the kids who play there are great. Others, not so much. The other day there were two who seemed to be having a contest to see who could screech higher and louder. It doesn't help that some of the kids are also mean to the others -- it's not fun listening to one group of kids bully another right outside my office window. Because of actually talking to kids (and parents) about stuff like this, Mrs.k2002 and I have the rep of being the "mean" people on the block. Ah well.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain