Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1649572 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11580 on: April 21, 2013, 02:56:58 PM »
Our house hear used to be the "go to" hangout for some of the kids in the neighborhood but as we do not have a big house (3br arts & crafts bungalow home), it would get quite crowded with about 4 kids running around in addition to our 2 (at the time).   

We're no longer really the hangout anymore.  I don't mind well behaved kids coming over but the kids who used to come over were loud, rude and entitled and I'd had enough and so had DH. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11581 on: April 21, 2013, 03:02:46 PM »
I was visiting my friend who has a soon to be 6 yr old daughter.  While I was there, they were skyping a friend of hers.  All of a sudden, her friend squealed for absolutely no reason.  My friend's daughter squealed then, too.  It went on for a few minutes - conversation with random squeals thrown in.  My friend's Dad was getting pretty frustrated and said something - not all that politely.  I didn't blame him at all; it was getting to me, too.

My friend complained about her Dad later and I commented that I could see his point and asked what they were squealing about.  'That's just what little girls are like.'  Yikes.  I guess I am an old fuddy duddy.  Get off my lawn.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

TeamBhakta

« Reply #11582 on: April 21, 2013, 03:08:48 PM »
I can sympathize with the screaming like banshees irritation.  In our old neighborhood, there were two girls who loved to come over to our house, aged 8 and 10.  These two girls would emit ear piercing shrieks when happy.  Indoors, sometimes right next to me.   ::)

Do you live next door to me ? For a while, my neighbors' ten year old would come home from school, plop down on the grass and just straight scream for over an hour. (No, she didn't have a mental handicap) During weekends and school breaks, she'd get up at 8 am, plop down on the grass and blow a whistle or a recorder at an ear piercing tone, without stopping. And this would go on all day. I had to leave the house when she'd do that, because you could hear it from every room, even with the tv, dryer, AC, etc running.   

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11583 on: April 21, 2013, 03:16:16 PM »
I was visiting my friend who has a soon to be 6 yr old daughter.  While I was there, they were skyping a friend of hers.  All of a sudden, her friend squealed for absolutely no reason.  My friend's daughter squealed then, too.  It went on for a few minutes - conversation with random squeals thrown in.  My friend's Dad was getting pretty frustrated and said something - not all that politely.  I didn't blame him at all; it was getting to me, too.

My friend complained about her Dad later and I commented that I could see his point and asked what they were squealing about.  'That's just what little girls are like.' Yikes.  I guess I am an old fuddy duddy.  Get off my lawn.

I'll be a fuddy duddy too.  Maybe I'm spoiled by only having boys.  Sure they can be loud and yell and it gets annoying but it doesn't hurt my eardrums.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11584 on: April 21, 2013, 03:30:31 PM »

My friend complained about her Dad later and I commented that I could see his point and asked what they were squealing about.  'That's just what little girls are like.' Yikes.  I guess I am an old fuddy duddy.  Get off my lawn.

I'll be a fuddy duddy too.  Maybe I'm spoiled by only having boys.  Sure they can be loud and yell and it gets annoying but it doesn't hurt my eardrums.

The girls in our street once had a competition to see who could scream the loudest. Mercifully they stopped when I asked them to.
NE England

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #11585 on: April 21, 2013, 03:33:16 PM »
I don't mind the laughter and yelling while outside running and playing.  I mean the high pitched screeching that sends my dog running and my teeth grinding.  I lived in an apartment complex years ago that had a big front yard for the three buildings and all the kids would play.  And then a little girl (5-6 yrs old) moved in and what went from kids laughing and having fun turned into this little girl screaming like she was being attacked for 6-7 hours a day (along with some other annoying habits).  We tried talking to her mom (brick walls are more responsive), her (little brick wall) to the rental office (they were aware but did nothing).  There is now a 5 year old boy on my street that screams and throws fits constantly at a level that is unnatural.  I have taught my DD's if they are screaming like that, they better have a bear right behind them ready to eat them.  These screamers are gonna one day need someone to help them and they will be ignored because all they do is scream just to be heard. 

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #11586 on: April 21, 2013, 10:50:27 PM »
The sound of someone filing their nails.  Nails on a chalkboard.  A fork scraping on a plate.  Belly buttons.  People who have nasty feet wearing sandals. Little kids screaming like banshees for no reason.  I could go on for hours...am I that intolerant ???

Visiting my house is out then. :D  When the kids are outside playing I don't make them lower the volume at all.  Nearest neighbor is over a mile away, so I don't have to worry about that.  I figure it lets them get the noisies out and they can behave like humans instead of monsters when they're inside or out in public.

Your kinds aren't exactly little, though, mmswm, at least by my standards; and I bet if you told them to quiet down, they would.  When I read *inviteseller's post, I was thinking 3 year olds, who will scream and can't really be told to cut it out and be expected to immediately listen.

Really ? In the TeamBhakta house growing up, that would've resulted in "You will behave or you will get time out / we're leaving this place / you will not get (whatever fun event)." Outdoor voices / noises were fine, but repeatedly screaming for the sake of screaming = out of the question, partly because it was rude to the neighbors and partly because of "Screaming is to let people know there's an emergency"

The last part was tongue in cheek, sorry for not being clear.  I should have added an eye roll emoticon.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11587 on: April 22, 2013, 12:16:24 AM »
Typos and editing mistakes in Kindle versions of books. I just got e-copies of all of Dorothy Sayers' books, and I'm noticing a ton of them. Miss Dorland ends up being Miss Borland for about two chapters, and then switching back. The phrases in other languages are particularly bad. Whoever edited it clearly does not speak French - several words were completely impossible.
I've noticed that most of the free ebooks have major typos.  Sometimes you can figure out, like Dorland/Borland, but when it's a significant word that cannot be determined from context, it's very frustrating.  "And the murderer is TariIhoof!" when no name in the text is even vaguely similar.   I've given up on free ebooks other than from Project Gutenberg.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #11588 on: April 22, 2013, 08:07:19 AM »
There are a lot of not-free books that have weird typos, too.  I'm assuming the errors are introduced when the books are scanned/ocr-ed to make them into e-books. 

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11589 on: April 22, 2013, 09:00:31 AM »
I've seen typos all of my life. I always assumed it was the typesetting error that just didn't get caught. Most of the books I have read were done on a linotype machines.

I don't know the process used now, but some one, somewhere has to type it in. Voice recognition software is still pretty iffy, so that would have to be heavily edited if is it used.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #11590 on: April 22, 2013, 09:12:35 AM »
I've seen typos all of my life. I always assumed it was the typesetting error that just didn't get caught. Most of the books I have read were done on a linotype machines.

I don't know the process used now, but some one, somewhere has to type it in. Voice recognition software is still pretty iffy, so that would have to be heavily edited if is it used.

No, I don't think so.  AFAIK they scan the pages in and use text recognition software, but do not check the results as thoroughly as they perhaps should.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11591 on: April 22, 2013, 09:19:53 AM »
Picking new kitty names.  We might have a new kitty on our hands as he wandered into our yard yesterday and would not leave.  He has no tags, and from what I can tell is not fixed either.  I'm taking him to the vet in a couple hours to get him checked out. 

I almost named him McGonagall because he does have the look of her animagus but then realized that it was indeed a he and decided on Albus instead.   All are agreed except for middle pirate who wants to name him "stripes." Or anything but Albus and will not except that he's been outvoted.  I told him give the cat a nickname if he dislikes the name Albus that much but he will not let it go. 

"It's insulting to Dumbledore!" I don't think Dumbledore cares, dear.
"Why can't we go with an alcohol name like the rest of our cats?"  The first two are Bailey and Brandy, but the third is Sherlock because we couldn't agree on any male sounding alcohol names that I suggested. (Guinness, Capt. Morgan) and the cat looks like he has a mustache.  And when I suggested Guinness and Capt. Morgan for this cat they were shot down. 

Since majority rules, the cat's name is Albus and if middle pirate doesn't like it, well tough.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #11592 on: April 22, 2013, 09:20:30 AM »
I don't know how all companies do it, but our books need to be reformatted to an ePbub format (depends on which platform the book's going to be released on.) Sometimes this causes reflowing issues with the text. Like, if there are two words stuck together, chances are there was a force return (shift+return) in the original file, without a space after the return; ePub doesn't recognize force returns, so when the file was stripped of them it stuck the words together. Sometimes different characters aren't recognized in ePub. That kind of thing.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11593 on: April 22, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
Picking new kitty names.  We might have a new kitty on our hands as he wandered into our yard yesterday and would not leave.  He has no tags, and from what I can tell is not fixed either.  I'm taking him to the vet in a couple hours to get him checked out. 

I almost named him McGonagall because he does have the look of her animagus but then realized that it was indeed a he and decided on Albus instead.   All are agreed except for middle pirate who wants to name him "stripes." Or anything but Albus and will not except that he's been outvoted.  I told him give the cat a nickname if he dislikes the name Albus that much but he will not let it go. 

"Why can't we go with an alcohol name like the rest of our cats?"  The first two are Bailey and Brandy, but the third is Sherlock because we couldn't agree on any male sounding alcohol names that I suggested. (Guinness, Capt. Morgan) and the cat looks like he has a mustache.  And when I suggested Guinness and Capt. Morgan for this cat they were shot down. 

Since majority rules, the cat's name is Albus and if middle pirate doesn't like it, well tough.
Tell him can pick from Percival Wulfric or Brian if he doesn't like Albus.  >:D >:D >:D
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11594 on: April 22, 2013, 09:29:16 AM »

Tell him can pick from Percival Wulfric or Brian if he doesn't like Albus.  >:D >:D >:D

LOL! I actually did tell him that and he didn't like that.  Mind you this child can't come up with a name on his own other than "stripes".   ::)  After having a Bailey, Brandy and Sherlock, I just cannot do a simple and uncreative name like "stripes."