Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1566195 times)

guihong

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11625 on: April 22, 2013, 11:18:24 PM »
The black cat we adopted recently started off as Isabel, until the vet confirmed different parts  ::).  By then, regardless of gender, he was already Izzy and Izzy he remains. 

Blackie would be an obvious, if lazy, name for him but we've already had the late, great Blackie (who was mostly white).  Blackie I passed on just over a year ago, so too soon to recycle a name.

The other cat is officially Gracie, but that has somehow morphed into Kitsie.

My brother had the gift of great cat names.  He once had a pair of orange tabbies named Toccata and Fugue (as in D minor).  When they had a litter of three kittens, they became Johann, Sebastian, and Bach  ;D.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:21:13 PM by guihong »

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11626 on: April 23, 2013, 05:51:38 AM »
I've seen typos all of my life. I always assumed it was the typesetting error that just didn't get caught. Most of the books I have read were done on a linotype machines.

I don't know the process used now, but some one, somewhere has to type it in. Voice recognition software is still pretty iffy, so that would have to be heavily edited if is it used.

No, I don't think so.  AFAIK they scan the pages in and use text recognition software, but do not check the results as thoroughly as they perhaps should.

So, the soneone somewhere who typed it in is the author, otherwise, where did the text to recognize come from?

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11627 on: April 23, 2013, 06:42:14 AM »
I've seen typos all of my life. I always assumed it was the typesetting error that just didn't get caught. Most of the books I have read were done on a linotype machines.

I don't know the process used now, but some one, somewhere has to type it in. Voice recognition software is still pretty iffy, so that would have to be heavily edited if is it used.

No, I don't think so.  AFAIK they scan the pages in and use text recognition software, but do not check the results as thoroughly as they perhaps should.

So, the soneone somewhere who typed it in is the author, otherwise, where did the text to recognize come from?

The thing is, the text typed by the author is correct.  Then, when it's made into an ebook, the pages are scanned, and the OCR software doesn't always get it right.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #11628 on: April 23, 2013, 07:11:49 AM »

The thing is, the text typed by the author is correct.  Then, when it's made into an ebook, the pages are scanned, and the OCR software doesn't always get it right.

Yes.  Sorry, I thought we were just talking about typos in ebooks.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #11629 on: April 23, 2013, 08:11:12 AM »

Yes, some e-books have to be scanned in from paper books, if they're old enough that there's no computer version.

exitzero

« Reply #11630 on: April 23, 2013, 09:11:38 AM »
Watching "House Hunters" on TV and it shows us the family goes to a huge house in which the master bedroom is the size of my living room, and I hear them say "It's a awfully small."

REALLY?

(I know this is a stupid complaint, but REALLY?)

YES! Oh this, so so much. Like seriously? That living room is the size of my house. that is not small. Shut your mouth and take the deal.
One guy was complaining that the house they were looking at was too far of a commute for him:  15 minutes! It takes that long for me to get to my car in the parking lot!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11631 on: April 23, 2013, 11:02:34 AM »

Yes, some e-books have to be scanned in from paper books, if they're old enough that there's no computer version.

Maybe that explains why 'rein', as in 'hold your emotions in' becomes 'reign' so often! So your point is that the author probably used the correct homonym and some computer messed with it.

Sorry. I missed that it was e-books only. Thanks.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11632 on: April 23, 2013, 11:09:54 AM »
I once had a temping job where we had to scan in documents to be converted to pdf files.   We didn't so much do the converting as we did just going over the documents to make sure it was clear what each word was. 

Sometimes it was easy, sometimes not as much.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

exitzero

« Reply #11633 on: April 23, 2013, 11:24:35 AM »

Maybe that explains why 'rein', as in 'hold your emotions in' becomes 'reign' so often! So your point is that the author probably used the correct homonym and some computer messed with it.

Sorry. I missed that it was e-books only. Thanks.

A local politician sent out an advertisement once stating that he would "reign in spending". Nice to be the best at something, I guess!

Melle

« Reply #11634 on: April 23, 2013, 11:29:12 AM »
My pet peeve of the day:

"Triology" is not a word!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #11635 on: April 23, 2013, 11:31:27 AM »
My pet peeve of the day:

How is it being used?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Melle

« Reply #11636 on: April 23, 2013, 11:37:13 AM »
My pet peeve of the day:

How is it being used?

Instead of "Trilogy", as in three connected books / movies.

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #11637 on: April 23, 2013, 11:52:16 AM »
People who want to commission a drawing from me, saying "I'll have the picture for you tomorrow, I promise!" Then never get me the picture.

or

People who message me with "ZOMG! I'd love to commission/trade with you!" Then never message me again.

Because I just LOVE being strung along and having my time wasted by flakes who won't hold up their end.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #11638 on: April 23, 2013, 11:55:42 AM »
My pet peeve of the day:

How is it being used?

Ouch.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

mmswm

« Reply #11639 on: April 23, 2013, 12:29:35 PM »
My pet peeve of the day:

How is it being used?

Ouch.

Maybe they're referring to the science of trios?   >:D
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)