Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1690635 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11640 on: April 23, 2013, 01:05:34 PM »
My pet peeve of the day:

"Triology" is not a word!

How is it being used?

Instead of "Trilogy", as in three connected books / movies.

Ouch.

Maybe they're referring to the science of trios?   >:D

Maybe it's three books about the counselor on the Enterprise-D, and they meant Troilogy?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11641 on: April 23, 2013, 01:26:02 PM »
I have a lovely, educated, intelligent friend. Who INSISTS on saying "triology".

This is me  :-X.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11642 on: April 23, 2013, 01:27:51 PM »
When Jurassic Park came out, I had a friend that insisted on calling it "Jurastic Park"  :-X
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Bottlecaps

« Reply #11643 on: April 23, 2013, 01:28:02 PM »
You're going on vacation in the morning and you're reading a wonderful book.  You won't be able to finish it before you leave but will probably finish it on the plane. 

It's a book you want to keep and read again but it's big and you don't want to carry the dead weight around for two weeks. 

Yeah, I know.  I should get a Kindle or a Nook but I DO love my paper.

I'm going to be carrying some dead weight in my carry-on for my bus trip back to West Virginia. I could just as easily download some free e-books onto my phone for the trip, but alas, buses don't have power outlets so that would only work for the first few hours, and actual, printed books don't require a battery. :) It's annoying that I'm going to have to use up that space in my backpack, but I too love my paper books.
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11644 on: April 23, 2013, 01:54:29 PM »
Trying to organize for a trip when I'm not terribly good at organizing.  I have ADD which is often mild enough that I don't need medica-SQUIRREL!  (joking)

But along with the short attention span and ability to be distracted by shiny things comes the difficulty with organization and time management. I'm happy to say I've gotten better at time management and can get places on time without forgetting things. (usually)

But I hate packing.  I will say that I've gotten better in the past years at learning how to cope, but it's still a pain, in that I hate making lists but I know I've got to make lists of the lists I will have to make. 

I have packing lists for what to wear, what to pack in terms of camping supplies, what needs to be done, cleaned, bought, etc.  Friends to be packed and tents to be picked up at the station. No, reverse that.  Mother's day cards to buy, Godmother gift to get, thank you card for priest? Yeah probably should. *adding to list*

:P

I really hate lists but they're one of those necessary evils.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11645 on: April 23, 2013, 02:05:28 PM »
I had a friend that pronounced compendium as "com-pee-end-um"

audhs

« Reply #11646 on: April 23, 2013, 03:39:25 PM »

Last summer I heard what I thought was a dozen squealing preschool girls being cased by snakes through my kitchen window. When I looked out it turned out to be two ~12 year old boys on a tramp. Lol

Trampoline? Please, please, please mean trampoline.  ;)
LOL yes definatly a trampoline.  Sorry for that totatly missed the double meaning.  ;D

magicdomino

« Reply #11647 on: April 23, 2013, 03:41:36 PM »
People who don't state the question or issue up front.  I work for a rather small law enforcement agency, but not in an office that deals directly with the public.  However, if you Google the agency, for some reason our main office office number comes up.  That's okay.  It's my job to answer the phone, and I help as best I can. 

A man called because he received a call from a phone number.  He didn't understand the message that was left, has no idea why he was called, he called the number twice getting a "disconnected" message the first time, and a similar "not available" message the second time.  He wants to give us the number so that we can call it.  Up until this time, I thought he was the potential victim of a phone scam and was Googling the correct contact number for that.  I asked the gentleman if he thought it might be a scammer.  Disgusted with my incomprehension, the gentleman said that he looked up the area code and it was for Waterford, Massachusetts. (The gentleman lives in the southern U.S.)  So, of course it must be connected with the recent bombing.   I asked if there was a reason for some mysterious associate of the two bombers to call him;  no, he was a good American Patriot who didn't have anything to do with Muslim foreigners.  That's why he was reporting this suspcious number.  Then he said that it was no wonder we couldn't catch anybody and hung up on me.  Please note that the second suspect had been arrested two days before.

Okay, maybe I'm also whining just a little about people who get upset without thinking things through.   :-\

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #11648 on: April 23, 2013, 04:07:35 PM »
Watching "House Hunters" on TV and it shows us the family goes to a huge house in which the master bedroom is the size of my living room, and I hear them say "It's a awfully small."

REALLY?

(I know this is a stupid complaint, but REALLY?)

Oh, I almost can't stand watching those shows sometimes.  "This walk-in closet that is the size of most bedrooms is a little tight, no?"

I recall a HHI episode where the husband wanted beachfront property.  The realtor kept explaining that they  couldn't have one due to zoning laws (meaning NO ONE got to have beach front property in that particular location).  That didn't stop the dude from complaining at every single house that he had to walk 15 minutes to the beach.  And the houses they were looking at were pretty close.  Just not rightthere.  Even his wife looked like she wanted to flick him in the ear at one point.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11649 on: April 23, 2013, 04:20:42 PM »
Oh no, the poor baby, a whole 15 minutes of walking? Awww, what will widdle poor baby DO??

There would be no "flick" from me, it would be a proper Gibbs slap coming from a woman who lives 3.5 hours from the beach and would love to have that commute to the beach.  15 minutes.  Pif!

magicdomino

« Reply #11650 on: April 23, 2013, 04:42:24 PM »
Watching "House Hunters" on TV and it shows us the family goes to a huge house in which the master bedroom is the size of my living room, and I hear them say "It's a awfully small."

REALLY?

(I know this is a stupid complaint, but REALLY?)

Can we throw in magazine articles about Making the Most of Your Small Closet, and the closets in the article are all at least twice the size of mine?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #11651 on: April 23, 2013, 04:48:01 PM »
Parents, if your child is 18 or older and applying for college, please do not communicate with school staff on their behalf. We can't change anything based on what you say, and we can't give you any information.

Calling me 4 times and sending 3 emails claiming to be your child will not help.

mmswm

« Reply #11652 on: April 23, 2013, 05:47:29 PM »
Revisionist family historians. 

Pardon me while I find a nice big bottle of wine.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #11653 on: April 23, 2013, 07:31:39 PM »
I came across another one. I enjoy searching Youtube to discover new music, and if I like it enough I order it. Sometimes I simply want to hear a song. I despise it when the only upload of a song is in 240p with the most tinny, horrid sound quality ever. Honestly, why upload it at all?

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

TeamBhakta

« Reply #11654 on: April 23, 2013, 07:43:41 PM »
I hate when I find a really delicious, fancy looking pie or cake recipe on someone's blog, but they only go into "Here's the filling recipe. Use your favorite cake mix / pie crust / frosting with it." You can't share what brand / recipe you used for the cake / frosting / pie crust ?