Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1314897 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11670 on: April 24, 2013, 07:21:39 AM »
My older two boys both say "Emeny" (enemy) and the oldest pronounces cellular as sall-you-lar.

Though I'm embarrassed to admit I've lived in this town 3 years and I still don't know how locals pronounce Wesel Blvd.   It's named for the town's German sister city and the town has a German founder so I would expect it's "Veesal" "Vessal" (yeah, you can tell I didn't take German)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #11671 on: April 24, 2013, 08:55:53 AM »
I would think Vaysl.

(Meant to say with a soft 's', so more properly: vayzl).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 09:13:28 AM by Morticia »
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11672 on: April 24, 2013, 09:10:05 AM »
I would think Vaysl.

That sounds right.  The way I was pronouncing it would always make me think of "Voyage Home" and Chekov asking where the Nuclear Wessals are kept.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #11673 on: April 24, 2013, 11:06:25 AM »
My son does an excellent Chekov impression!

People who call things what they aren't -
Instead of "We are going to the movie theater", "Going to the movies". Drives my remaining brain cells crazy.

Shalamar

« Reply #11674 on: April 24, 2013, 11:20:10 AM »
Apparently I need to leave the premises all together since today was the 3 time in a week and a half my boss has hunted me down in my car for completely unnecessary reasons!

That used to be my mother!  She had to resort to eating her lunch on the riverbank when the weather permitted, otherwise her boss would track her down.  This was in the 70's, so it pre-dated cell phones.  She always said "Thank goodness cell phones weren't around then, otherwise I would never have been free of him."

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #11675 on: April 24, 2013, 11:30:18 AM »
Watching "House Hunters" on TV and it shows us the family goes to a huge house in which the master bedroom is the size of my living room, and I hear them say "It's a awfully small."

REALLY?

(I know this is a stupid complaint, but REALLY?)

Can we throw in magazine articles about Making the Most of Your Small Closet, and the closets in the article are all at least twice the size of mine?

Or have been organized by professionals--the same closet organization would cost hundreds of dollars to a regular person. Yes, I would love my closet to be full of shelves and professionally constructed built-in drawers and fold-out hanging bars as well, but I don't want to pay more than all my clothes are worth.

Melle

« Reply #11676 on: April 24, 2013, 12:30:09 PM »
Quote from: Morticia
I would think Vaysl.

Extremely close. The "e" in "Wesel" is a sound that's kind of hard to emulate in another language's phonetics. The only English "dialect" I've ever heard use it is the one spoken in New Zealand.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:59:03 PM by Melle »

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11677 on: April 24, 2013, 12:57:39 PM »
Said by medical personel or insurance people: mameogram and prostrate.

The ones that cracked Lucas up when he was teaching physics: nucular and cacalator

Shalamar

« Reply #11678 on: April 24, 2013, 03:32:13 PM »
That reminds me of Roger Rabbit talking about how his uncle had problems with his probate and "had to take these BIG pills".  :D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11679 on: April 24, 2013, 04:05:31 PM »
When a thunderstorm is in the forecast and skips right over us. (I love thunderstorms) Or we only get the rain.  The mountains do a good job of redirecting storms around us, so even if there's a big band moving east, chances are the mountain range will redirect it into smaller cells that veer north and south of us. 

We've been cheated out of the last 2-3 thunderstorms promised to this area so I'm hoping today's pays out. :)

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #11680 on: April 24, 2013, 04:17:29 PM »
That reminds me of Roger Rabbit talking about how his uncle had problems with his probate and "had to take these BIG pills".  :D
and drink LOTSA water!!!

Gotta love a classical education.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11681 on: April 24, 2013, 04:50:23 PM »
When a thunderstorm is in the forecast and skips right over us. (I love thunderstorms) Or we only get the rain.  The mountains do a good job of redirecting storms around us, so even if there's a big band moving east, chances are the mountain range will redirect it into smaller cells that veer north and south of us. 

We've been cheated out of the last 2-3 thunderstorms promised to this area so I'm hoping today's pays out. :)

We have this problem too.  Thunderstorms are expected but, for some reason, they always seem to go north or south of us.  We get enough rain but it's the annoying sort.  We rarely get the type of storm that makes us want to turn out the lights and enjoy the show outside. 

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #11682 on: April 24, 2013, 05:02:44 PM »
I would think Vaysl.

(Meant to say with a soft 's', so more properly: vayzl).

Yes, that's the way I'd pronounce it.

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #11683 on: April 24, 2013, 05:28:08 PM »
My son does an excellent Chekov impression!

People who call things what they aren't -
Instead of "We are going to the movie theater", "Going to the movies". Drives my remaining brain cells crazy.

???  People often shorten things to make it easier to say; I understand that it drives you crazy but I don't understand why.  No more saying "typo" as it is actually a typographical error?  I am not being snarky, promise, just trying to understand.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #11684 on: April 24, 2013, 07:45:49 PM »
Housemate says 'triology'.  She also likes watching 'aminated movies'.  And owns a Hyundoo car.  Drives me a little nuttier every day...

I'm also being driven nuts by pain and itching.  It's self inflicted so I shouldn't moan (but I'm going to anyway  :P).  My new tattoo has been started, and it's huge.  I've had one 5-hour session of line work and two of colouring, with at least another 2 sessions to go, all two weeks apart.  What follows is a couple of days of pain, then a week of itching, a few good days then back for the next session.   ::)  So far it looks fantastic though!  And the artist wants to enter me in a local tattoo contest.  Not sure how chubby ol' me feels about being that exposed in public though.

Think of it as providing more canvas for the artist to work on. Alternatively, what the artist is saying is "You look good enough that I want to show off what I did." Yes, it's mostly about the artist and the tattoo, not your underlying beauty, but it does mean the artist thinks you look good enough that the result might win a prize.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.