Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1708108 times)

Dr. F.

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11700 on: April 26, 2013, 12:14:09 PM »
Idiotic instructions.

A while back in this thread (I think...), we had a long discussion about socks and trying to keep them corralled. I recently came across a set of "Sock Cops" which are clips you can use to hold two socks together in the wash. Naturally, I bought some.

I was reading the instructions today and they advised to clip the socks together at the heel. And then stated, "WARNING: Remove clips before using socks."

I spent a solid 5 minutes trying to figure out how someone would put on a pair of socks clipped together at the heel and manage to walk.

mmswm

« Reply #11701 on: April 26, 2013, 12:23:43 PM »
I think my music is driving my father up a wall right now, not because he dislikes any of it, but because I have my entire playlist set on shuffle.  I like pretty much everything, so in the last hour we've heard Beethoven, Rossini, Rascal Flats, Frankie Valli, The Supremes, Billy Joel and They Might Be Giants.  Every time there's a dramatic change in genre, he comes out shaking his head.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11702 on: April 26, 2013, 12:56:16 PM »
Grr. Just had one - when someone doesn't tell me a repeat customer has changed the company name, so I have to redo an entire set of handouts from "Company X" to "Company Y". Even though I have *repeatedly* asked that full company details be provided to me at the beginning of a job. (runs off ranting and pulling out hair)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #11703 on: April 26, 2013, 01:51:03 PM »
We have a staff member (P) who is highly possessive around food. Not even just her food, if we are having an event that involves food, she must be first in line. She also pouts and complains loudly if the food is not ready exactly at 12 noon.

Today, we had an employee appreciation luncheon. Two of the bosses were grilling burgers, hot dogs, and vegetarian versions of the same. P shows up, and is waiting to eat when the clock struck 12. Oh, the complaining when she was told that we were waiting for the veggie stuff to be done and our other staff group to walk in.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #11704 on: April 26, 2013, 02:14:34 PM »
Not really a little thing anymore:  Transferring money to PayPal now takes 3-5 business days when it used to be instantaneous.
I got a 'business' account with PayPal, that comes with the free debit card, and I can use it to pay for things that I want (even real world) and it takes the money out of my account after the charge clears, instantenaously. I don't have to have a cent in the PayPal account, and I use the card for big purchases, sometimes.

MrTango

« Reply #11705 on: April 26, 2013, 03:44:06 PM »
Idiotic instructions.

A while back in this thread (I think...), we had a long discussion about socks and trying to keep them corralled. I recently came across a set of "Sock Cops" which are clips you can use to hold two socks together in the wash. Naturally, I bought some.

I was reading the instructions today and they advised to clip the socks together at the heel. And then stated, "WARNING: Remove clips before using socks."

I spent a solid 5 minutes trying to figure out how someone would put on a pair of socks clipped together at the heel and manage to walk.

The thing is: Every warning out there is because someone actually *did* what the warning label says not to do.  If no one had ever done it, no one would have thought a warning label was necessary.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #11706 on: April 26, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
People who say things to try and placate you but what they are saying is a down right lie.

Baby Bear had her 1yr shots today. Her appointment was for 2.45pm. I check in on the touch screen computer at 2.40 and wait.

While I am waiting I over hear another lady ask about her Appointment and it appears the booking in computer didn't book her in. It gets sorted for her (she sits down next to me and tells me all about it) and I wait.
Half an hour after my appointment time (so 35min after I get there) and I go and ask in case the computer didn't book me in ether. I was polite and she was apologetic saying I am next and the nurse will be a few more minuets. Thats fine, I really don't mind delays I get stuff happens so I thank her, reassure her I am quite alright and sit down.

She then feels the need to call out across the room "Mrs Girl nurse Jane will call you up next she is only running a tiny bit late."(her actual words) she then tells the next person that "Nurse Jane is running just a few minuets late."

last time I checked 30minets is not "only a tiny bit" I really wasn't bothered by the wait until she tried to imply that 30minets of my time was nothing. end grump

Oh yes and when I went to the window I stood for a few minuets, but assumed she hadn't seen me, as there was no acknowledgment at all so I said "excuse me I have a question about my appointment" she looked up from her computer and seemed annoyed and asked me to wait.
Had she simply acknowledged I was there in the first place and told me she  would be with me in a minuet, I wouldn't have minded waiting.

“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11707 on: April 26, 2013, 04:16:32 PM »
Idiotic instructions.

The thing is: Every warning out there is because someone actually *did* what the warning label says not to do.  If no one had ever done it, no one would have thought a warning label was necessary.

Not necessarily.  A lot of the time, it's a company's legal department saying "Ooooh... yeah, you have to include a warning so we don't get sued."

Dr. F.

« Reply #11708 on: April 26, 2013, 05:44:20 PM »
Idiotic instructions.

Not necessarily.  A lot of the time, it's a company's legal department saying "Ooooh... yeah, you have to include a warning so we don't get sued."

I don't think it would be physically *possible* for anyone to do what they warned against, that's why it struck me as so odd.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #11709 on: April 26, 2013, 05:56:58 PM »
Idiotic instructions.

I don't think it would be physically *possible* for anyone to do what they warned against, that's why it struck me as so odd.

Almost anything is possible with enough blind determination and stupidity, but they're probably also guarding against the possibility of people whining "Whaaaa, I can't get my socks on/ripped my socks/stubbed my toe/scraped my ankle/whatevs". :)
Utah

Bottlecaps

« Reply #11710 on: April 26, 2013, 06:07:55 PM »
Also to BIC: We women don't need our own pens.  But if you feel you absolutely must, I wish you'd realize not all women like pastels. :P

POD! OK, OK, I'll admit it - purple is my favorite color, but all shades, not just lavender or pastel purple. But crimson red is a very, very close second, followed by neon orange and neon green. Those last three are about as far from pastel as you can get! :P
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #11711 on: April 26, 2013, 06:14:44 PM »
Also to BIC: We women don't need our own pens.  But if you feel you absolutely must, I wish you'd realize not all women like pastels. :P

POD! OK, OK, I'll admit it - purple is my favorite color, but all shades, not just lavender or pastel purple. But crimson red is a very, very close second, followed by neon orange and neon green. Those last three are about as far from pastel as you can get! :P

I'm guessing I'm right in thinking Piratelvr1121 is referring to something specific, so I'm going to include the link in case someone hasn't seen it.

It's an Amazon product review so I cannot vouch for the content (other than hilarious!).

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-Cristal-1-0mm-Black-MSLP16-Blk/dp/B004F9QBE6

The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11712 on: April 26, 2013, 06:20:30 PM »
LOL!!!!!! Yep, that's them!

And I do like purple, but I also love red, blue and green, and the tones I tend to like for those are not their pastel shades. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #11713 on: April 26, 2013, 06:44:52 PM »
LOL!!!!!! Yep, that's them!

And I do like purple, but I also love red, blue and green, and the tones I tend to like for those are not their pastel shades.

I laughed myself silly!

I don't like pink at all and hate that some things I can't find without a hint of pink.  Oh, nice black dress pants but the trim on the inside is pink.  I still won't buy them even if no one will see the pink; it's the principle of the matter!  Not all girls like pink!  Stop including it in everything!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11714 on: April 26, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »
Ever seen the mock commercial Ellen did? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCyw3prIWhc

As for annoying things, my older two have an irritating habit of running outside and leaving the tv on to an annoying show, be it Spongebob or Regular Show.  I turn it off once I see the tv's on and no one's watching it and then they come in and whine "Why is the tv off?"  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata