Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1545876 times)

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11730 on: April 29, 2013, 01:10:11 AM »
When letterstocrushes.com is down. I really like reading cute stories of people falling in love, even if it's one sided. Now I'm annoyed because I can't get on the site, and havent been able to for 3 days.

I know it's petty, but it's one of the little things that makes me happy.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #11731 on: April 29, 2013, 02:02:10 AM »
When my bladder wakes me up with urgent needs to empty and my bed is just so comfortable. What a rude organ.

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

TeamBhakta

« Reply #11732 on: April 29, 2013, 02:03:22 AM »
I hate Pinterest pins that are 8 pictures stacked together, linked to a tumblr homepage and only labeled "Jaden will love it."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11733 on: April 29, 2013, 06:15:10 AM »
When my bladder wakes me up with urgent needs to empty and my bed is just so comfortable. What a rude organ.

When it does that about 10 minutes before your alarm is set to go off.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #11734 on: April 29, 2013, 07:01:30 AM »
I hate Pinterest pins that are 8 pictures stacked together, linked to a tumblr homepage and only labeled "Jaden will love it."

Only thing worse is when it's linked to spam.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #11735 on: April 29, 2013, 02:37:23 PM »

Only thing worse is when it's linked to spam.

Or when a pin you've gone to before (like to a food blog) comes up as spam so Pinterest won't let you get there again.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #11736 on: April 29, 2013, 03:12:57 PM »
Ugh. The weather changes we've been having here recently are driving me up the wall. We had snow last Monday, and now it's in the high 70s. The heat in my office building is still on like it's snowing and in the 30s. I am SO HOT. I've gotten up from my desk twice today, once to go to the bathroom and once to get lunch, and the rest of the time I've just tried to move as little as possible. I'm actually sweating, and am dressed pretty lightly. This is awful.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11737 on: April 29, 2013, 03:30:28 PM »
When people insist that they know your situation better than you do.

I was in a discussion about driving in cultures (notably, that in the US we do it a LOT), and this person kept insisting that M should take the train to work instead of drive.  Why, M could get more sleep, surf the net, or indulge in art!

Um.  For starters, there's no train that goes anywhere near M's work unless M is labelled as freight.  Secondly, that forty five minute drive becomes a two hour commute EACH WAY (a minor inconvenience, they called it), most of it by bus.  Public transit bus.  Sleep? Heh, good luck with hard plastic seats.  Surf the net?  With what connectivity... we have free wifi with our cable service, and we can't even find a connection at HOME.  In the city.  As opposed to on the road.  Draw?  I don't know what buses are like where any of you are, but they are *cramped* here.  And all of this even assumes you can get a seat and aren't strap-hanging.

And it is more expensive, even considering gas and bridge tolls.

But they just couldn't get it through their head that transit in the US isn't like it is in Europe.  ::Sigh::

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #11738 on: April 29, 2013, 03:34:46 PM »
Oh yeah, I hate it when every article on how to save money suggests using transit or biking instead of driving. I live 30 miles from my workplace, in a semi-rural area; we're lucky to have public buses, and even those because we have a large college. No way could I do either of those things. I'd love to not spend ~$7 a day on gas, but I don't really have a choice.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #11739 on: April 29, 2013, 03:37:16 PM »
M spends $10 a day on gas, $5 more on bridge tolls, working five days a week.  The mass transit option would cost $285 a month on a monthly fee system, or $19 a day using fares.  And take an hour and a half more.  That's crazy talk.

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #11740 on: April 29, 2013, 03:47:34 PM »
A thing that drives me up the wall is that people get really defensive when they did something wrong and you call them out on it, even if they know they have been wrong. It's something that is hard to overcome though. But here is the worse version: sometimes someone does something wrong. They know when the other person will get to know about it, they will remark on it. So they make this script in their head about how that person will talk down to them because of it, and how they should defend themselves, and so on. Then they get to the actual 'confrontation', and they start with a rapidfire of angry excuses which can even devolve into a rant. For example, let's say person 1 asked person 2 to get chocolate milk while he goes out to the supermarket. He comes back, having forgotten the chocolate milk.

2: I went to the supermarket, but I forgot the chocolate milk. But it wasn't my fault, it was crammed with people, and one hit my ankle with the cart, and really, you can't expect me to remember all those things anyways!
1: o...k...
2: And why do we need a new pack of chocolate milk anyways? Those things are heavy and this makes the shopping such a heavy chore to do! I don't want to have to lug around that stuff so often, maybe you should get it yourself more often!
1: ...Where did that come from?

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #11741 on: April 29, 2013, 03:53:42 PM »
2: I went to the supermarket, but I forgot the chocolate milk. But it wasn't my fault, it was crammed with people, and one hit my ankle with the cart, and really, you can't expect me to remember all those things anyways!
1: o...k...
2: And why do we need a new pack of chocolate milk anyways? Those things are heavy and this makes the shopping such a heavy chore to do! I don't want to have to lug around that stuff so often, maybe you should get it yourself more often!
1: ...Where did that come from?

I call that the "preemptive strike argument".  The thinking goes something like: "Oh no, you don't get to decide to make this an argument!  I'm gonna make it an argument!  HA!  Shows you!"

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #11742 on: April 29, 2013, 04:01:10 PM »
 :-[

I do a variation on that, only instead of argumentative I'm overly apologetic.  So it would probably run something like "I'm sorry, I forgot the chocolate milk, I'm so sorry.  I meant to get it, though, but it was so busy and I got really flustered, sorry.  Then I was on my way to the checkout when I remembered and was just thinking to myself I needed to go back to the dairy section when someone hit my ankle with a cart, and I'm sorry, but I forgot to go back after all.  I'm sorry."

To which DH would probably respond, "It's fine.  No, really!  Stop apologizing!  It's fine!  I'm running some errands tomorrow, so I'll just pick it up then.  Look, the chocolate milk was for you, anyway!  Stop apologizing, darn it!"
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

nuit93

« Reply #11743 on: April 29, 2013, 04:37:41 PM »
When people insist that they know your situation better than you do.

I was in a discussion about driving in cultures (notably, that in the US we do it a LOT), and this person kept insisting that M should take the train to work instead of drive.  Why, M could get more sleep, surf the net, or indulge in art!

Um.  For starters, there's no train that goes anywhere near M's work unless M is labelled as freight.  Secondly, that forty five minute drive becomes a two hour commute EACH WAY (a minor inconvenience, they called it), most of it by bus.  Public transit bus.  Sleep? Heh, good luck with hard plastic seats.  Surf the net?  With what connectivity... we have free wifi with our cable service, and we can't even find a connection at HOME.  In the city.  As opposed to on the road.  Draw?  I don't know what buses are like where any of you are, but they are *cramped* here.  And all of this even assumes you can get a seat and aren't strap-hanging.

And it is more expensive, even considering gas and bridge tolls.

But they just couldn't get it through their head that transit in the US isn't like it is in Europe.  ::Sigh::

I've had people who live just a few cities over tell me the same thing.  "Oh, you only have a ten minute drive in to work?  Why not take the bus?"

Um, because that ten minute drive turns into a one-hour trip that includes transfers.  Sorry, not happening.

lilfox

« Reply #11744 on: April 29, 2013, 04:41:52 PM »
Re: little girls and pink.  I actually had very few baby/toddler/preschooler clothes for DD that were/are pink, lots were hand-me-downs in gender neutral colors.  Her room is yellow and the decor is mostly tropical animals.  While she's seen a few Disney princess movies, she doesn't want to rewatch any of them and her favorite movies/shows don't feature princesses at all.

However, this kid loves the princess concept and believes she can only be a princess if she wears a dress (any dress) so guess what she insists on wearing every day.  And pink is her favorite color, followed closely by purple.  I blame daycare.   ;)

Right now the habit of hers that is driving me nuts - every single time I say something, anything, she asks "what did you say?" and will continue to ask until I repeat myself.  This is especially problematic because I am prone to making sarcastic asides that weren't really meant for her to hear.   :-\