Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1705826 times)

Shalamar

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11745 on: April 29, 2013, 05:19:34 PM »
This is especially problematic because I am prone to making sarcastic asides that weren't really meant for her to hear.   

My MIL does that!  Sometimes when she and my FIL are visiting, I'll make a comment to my husband that was just meant for his ears.  I realize that this could be seen as rude, but the comment isn't anything nasty about my in-laws (I save those for after they leave.  Heh).  Usually it's an inside joke that's only funny to the two of us.  My MIL will say "What did you say?", and when I repeat myself, she looks at me blankly.  Um, that's why I wasn't addressing my remark to you.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #11746 on: April 29, 2013, 05:25:52 PM »
This is especially problematic because I am prone to making sarcastic asides that weren't really meant for her to hear.   

My MIL does that!  Sometimes when she and my FIL are visiting, I'll make a comment to my husband that was just meant for his ears.  I realize that this could be seen as rude, but the comment isn't anything nasty about my in-laws (I save those for after they leave.  Heh).  Usually it's an inside joke that's only funny to the two of us.  My MIL will say "What did you say?", and when I repeat myself, she looks at me blankly.  Um, that's why I wasn't addressing my remark to you.

Still rude, even when it isn't a nasty comment. It makes other people think you're mocking them. My sister and BIL do that and I find it very irksome.

lilfox

« Reply #11747 on: April 29, 2013, 06:11:57 PM »

Still rude, even when it isn't a nasty comment. It makes other people think you're mocking them. My sister and BIL do that and I find it very irksome.

I admit, I was once called out on it by a teacher in high school.  She had been talking to another student, I was waiting nearby to talk to her next and made a quippy comment to yet another person waiting, and the teacher suddenly rounded on me with "WHAT did you say??"  I have no idea what she thought she heard, but her reaction was such that I completely blanked.  Which only made it worse because then she really did think I said something mocking or nasty, which wasn't the case at all.  Very embarrassing and I ended up in tears after she finally let me leave.

I still don't believe it was rude of me then, or now, to say out loud things that aren't meant for everyone within earshot to understand.  A whole private conversation in front of others?  Rude.  Mean comments?  Rude.  A one-off reference to an inside joke inspired by circumstances?  Not rude to me, unless it is the speaker's only type of "contribution" to the conversation.

Adelaide

« Reply #11748 on: April 30, 2013, 03:12:13 PM »
When I was interested in a particular guy at school, I started wearing a lot of makeup and nice clothes. I went out on a couple of dates with him (he's awful, darn) and finals are drawing nigh, so I have ceased to care. Every day it's sweats and zero makeup. The problem is that now everyone asks me if I'm tired, depressed, or okay. One girl in particular keeps telling me that I "look mad". Sorry, that's just my face. After about the third time I told her a) that was my face and b) the only thing that makes me mad is people telling me that I look mad.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11749 on: April 30, 2013, 03:15:01 PM »
When people insist that they know your situation better than you do.

I was in a discussion about driving in cultures (notably, that in the US we do it a LOT), and this person kept insisting that M should take the train to work instead of drive.  Why, M could get more sleep, surf the net, or indulge in art!

Um.  For starters, there's no train that goes anywhere near M's work unless M is labelled as freight.  Secondly, that forty five minute drive becomes a two hour commute EACH WAY (a minor inconvenience, they called it), most of it by bus.  Public transit bus.  Sleep? Heh, good luck with hard plastic seats.  Surf the net?  With what connectivity... we have free wifi with our cable service, and we can't even find a connection at HOME.  In the city.  As opposed to on the road.  Draw?  I don't know what buses are like where any of you are, but they are *cramped* here.  And all of this even assumes you can get a seat and aren't strap-hanging.

And it is more expensive, even considering gas and bridge tolls.

But they just couldn't get it through their head that transit in the US isn't like it is in Europe.  ::Sigh::

Yup. I live in NJ and while we have pretty decent transportation INTO NYC, within the state it pretty much stinks. And even getting in, most parking at train stations is permit only, with very long waiting lists, so if you are going in on a random weekday, its hard to find somewhere to park while you take the train in.

My cousin lives in the DC area, in MD. She drives 10 mi each way to the Metro, then takes it in to work. Great for her, but we dont' have that option.

Now when I go visit her, its about a 4.5 hour drive. She always asks why I drive rather than take the train. Well, I'd have to drive 45 minutes to friends where I can leave my car, another 10 while they drive me to the train station, a 2.75 hour train ride INTO DC, then another 45-60 minutes on the metro out to MD.

yet she keeps asking me if I've thought about taking the train down!!!!!

The best one was discussing my next trip to my mom's in VA. When she and I will then be driving to WI. I said thankfully I should have a new car by then, as that's the easiest way to get there (mine is old so I usually rent one to go visit her).

We went through the whole litany, as i didn't want to rent a car and let it sit for 10 days, one way rentals are doulbe or triple, flying is pricy, and Amtrak is a nightmare. All of which we've discussed befoer, and I said i was thinking of a new car anway, so this is a good time.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11750 on: April 30, 2013, 03:27:54 PM »
When people insist that they know your situation better than you do.

I was in a discussion about driving in cultures (notably, that in the US we do it a LOT), and this person kept insisting that M should take the train to work instead of drive.  Why, M could get more sleep, surf the net, or indulge in art!

Um.  For starters, there's no train that goes anywhere near M's work unless M is labelled as freight.  Secondly, that forty five minute drive becomes a two hour commute EACH WAY (a minor inconvenience, they called it), most of it by bus.  Public transit bus.  Sleep? Heh, good luck with hard plastic seats.  Surf the net?  With what connectivity... we have free wifi with our cable service, and we can't even find a connection at HOME.  In the city.  As opposed to on the road.  Draw?  I don't know what buses are like where any of you are, but they are *cramped* here.  And all of this even assumes you can get a seat and aren't strap-hanging.

And it is more expensive, even considering gas and bridge tolls.

But they just couldn't get it through their head that transit in the US isn't like it is in Europe.  ::Sigh::

Yup. I live in NJ and while we have pretty decent transportation INTO NYC, within the state it pretty much stinks. And even getting in, most parking at train stations is permit only, with very long waiting lists, so if you are going in on a random weekday, its hard to find somewhere to park while you take the train in.

My cousin lives in the DC area, in MD. She drives 10 mi each way to the Metro, then takes it in to work. Great for her, but we dont' have that option.

Now when I go visit her, its about a 4.5 hour drive. She always asks why I drive rather than take the train. Well, I'd have to drive 45 minutes to friends where I can leave my car, another 10 while they drive me to the train station, a 2.75 hour train ride INTO DC, then another 45-60 minutes on the metro out to MD.

yet she keeps asking me if I've thought about taking the train down!!!!!

The best one was discussing my next trip to my mom's in VA. When she and I will then be driving to WI. I said thankfully I should have a new car by then, as that's the easiest way to get there (mine is old so I usually rent one to go visit her).

We went through the whole litany, as i didn't want to rent a car and let it sit for 10 days, one way rentals are doulbe or triple, flying is pricy, and Amtrak is a nightmare. All of which we've discussed befoer, and I said i was thinking of a new car anway, so this is a good time.

That bus I mentioned?  NJ Transit.  I don't know what an hour and a half on NJ Transit is like, but I *know* I wouldn't want to do that on SEPTA.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11751 on: April 30, 2013, 03:34:41 PM »
New little thing:  Looking for recipes for Southern Fried Chicken and finding eggs and bread crumbs on the list.  O.o

Seriously... I don't care if you like bread crumbs on chicken (I love breaded cutlets myself), but that is NOT Southern Fried Chicken, durnit.  Mom grew up in WV in the 30s and cooked for a living.  This was her signature dish.  No bread crumbs.

Calistoga

« Reply #11752 on: April 30, 2013, 03:38:48 PM »
New little thing:  Looking for recipes for Southern Fried Chicken and finding eggs and bread crumbs on the list.  O.o

Seriously... I don't care if you like bread crumbs on chicken (I love breaded cutlets myself), but that is NOT Southern Fried Chicken, durnit.  Mom grew up in WV in the 30s and cooked for a living.  This was her signature dish.  No bread crumbs.

I agree! Egg. Milk. Flour. Seasoning.

Although I will use rice crispies if I can't get the breaking quite crispy enough without them, bread crumbs don't come in to it. I had to fight DH to do them without the crispies and he's from Mississippi!

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #11753 on: April 30, 2013, 03:54:17 PM »
[quote author=Adelaide link=topic=75495.msg2935100#msg2935100 date=1367349133 One girl in particular keeps telling me that I "look mad". Sorry, that's just my face. After about the third time I told her a) that was my face and b) the only thing that makes me mad is people telling me that I look mad.
[/quote]

This, so much. I sorta frown when I'm concentrating or am just letting my thoughts drift. My husband, who has known me for over 10 years still asks me if I'm mad on a regular basis. I must be related to tard the grumpy cat.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #11754 on: April 30, 2013, 04:00:26 PM »
I do a buttermilk/hot sauce soak, then dredge (or double dredge if I'm feeling extra crispy) in seasoned flour. If I want just a little more crisp, I add just a bit of cornmeal.

mw8242

« Reply #11755 on: April 30, 2013, 04:12:27 PM »
That bus I mentioned?  NJ Transit.  I don't know what an hour and a half on NJ Transit is like, but I *know* I wouldn't want to do that on SEPTA.

Coincidentally I do take NJ Transit everyday I go to the office it drives me up the wall! I live right outside Manhattan in NJ and every time I take the darn bus it takes 30 mins - no matter when I leave. I also really really dislike buses.

I miss my beloved Path train and now that it's nicer I'm going to walk more to be able to take that instead.

Dr. F.

« Reply #11756 on: April 30, 2013, 04:26:21 PM »
Plastic food container lids. Where do they disappear to? I know I started out with an equal number of containers and lids, so why do I now have half as many lids as containers? It makes me insane!

mmswm

« Reply #11757 on: April 30, 2013, 04:32:59 PM »
Plastic food container lids. Where do they disappear to? I know I started out with an equal number of containers and lids, so why do I now have half as many lids as containers? It makes me insane!

The same place the socks go to when you put them in the dryer.  In some alternate universe somewhere in outer space, there's a whole bunch of irritated people wondering where in the heck all these extra socks and lids are coming from.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11758 on: April 30, 2013, 04:33:13 PM »
In college I earned the nickname of "Giggles" and as a result, if I wasn't laughing or giggling, or smiling, this one hallmate would say "Are you okay? What's wrong?"  ::)

On the other hand, DH and I were friends with a guy that we dubbed Kramer because he was such a goofball.   When people asked him if he was okay when he did look troubled, he'd start comparing himself to Chris Farley, saying things like "That's the kind of thing that got him in trouble! People always expected him to be funny and he got depressed and that's what led to his death!"

Um, dude, you're not Chris Farley. I get being annoyed when people expect you to be pleasant all the time due to having an easy going personality, but to assume he knew what Farley's personal life was like and that being expected to be funny 24/7 was what lead to his death got a major eyeroll from me.  That and he was a funny guy but not as funny. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Calistoga

« Reply #11759 on: April 30, 2013, 04:37:45 PM »

Bwahaha...because I have your extra lids!

I swear, ALL of my tupperware is the same size- 6x6 sandwich boxes. But I have lids that do not fit my tupperware and I have no idea where the lids came from. Especially the little round ones. I've never had little round tupperware.