Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1733261 times)

Free Range Hippy Chick

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11760 on: April 30, 2013, 04:43:31 PM »
Let's have a sort of reverse tupperware party and see if we can match things up, because I have approximately an equal number of tubs and lids but the lids don't fit the tubs. Don't even look as if they're the same brands.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11761 on: April 30, 2013, 04:45:43 PM »
Plastic food container lids. Where do they disappear to? I know I started out with an equal number of containers and lids, so why do I now have half as many lids as containers? It makes me insane!

The same place the socks go to when you put them in the dryer.  In some alternate universe somewhere in outer space, there's a whole bunch of irritated people wondering where in the heck all these extra socks and lids are coming from.

Bwahaha...because I have your extra lids!

I swear, ALL of my tupperware is the same size- 6x6 sandwich boxes. But I have lids that do not fit my tupperware and I have no idea where the lids came from. Especially the little round ones. I've never had little round tupperware.
Let's have a sort of reverse tupperware party and see if we can match things up, because I have approximately an equal number of tubs and lids but the lids don't fit the tubs. Don't even look as if they're the same brands.

This is fun! But on a more serious note, mine end up in the recycling if I am not vigilant. Someone actually tried to put my red lids - obviously very heavy and a common brand - in the recycling once!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #11762 on: April 30, 2013, 04:59:21 PM »
I have a whole shelf of lids, with no containers.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11763 on: April 30, 2013, 05:04:20 PM »
At the risk of sounding like an armchair shrink I am going to guess that some helicopter parents are afraid of not being needed anymore.   They are either afraid that the growing child will go away from them (which eventually they should) or they fear that their children will become more competent than they are.  For others it could be about control as well.

Speaking as a parent w/a  kid in college right now, I will say this:

We have also been bombarded with the message that it is up to US to be sure our child succeeds. That WE are to blame for anything that ever goes wrong in our kid's life. That we are SUPPOSED to "be involved."

The idea that we're supposed to go "eh, your problem" is absolutely not somethign that has been part of the messages sent to parents--by magazine & newspaper articles, by other parents, by grandparents, and yes, by people on the Internet (EtiquetteHell, I'm looking at you).

It is now, but it sure wasn't until the last couple of years!

lilfox

« Reply #11764 on: April 30, 2013, 05:22:27 PM »
The mixed messages about raising kids... it can be exhausting!

Starts in pregnancy, when you can't eat or drink certain things, but really a little bit is okay, except for all the judgment from onlookers who believe otherwise.

Then you have a baby, and you have to give them comfort or food or changes immediately or they'll be clingy and distressed, but not always immediately because otherwise how will they learn to self-soothe.

And look out if you buy your kid a gift or take them on special outings for no reason, you'll spoil them!  But you have to show that you love them and indulge their interests or you'll seem cold and detached.

Only kids with lots of extra-curriculars will succeed, but over-scheduling them is terrible and stressful!  If you're not willing to them here or there all the time, you're not a supportive parent.  But if you're "forcing" them to do multiple activities, you're trying to relive your own childhood through them and not supporting them at all.

On another note, why is it that whenever I slice a banana, the tiny little wheels of banana go rolling off the cutting board and leave sticky circles on the counter?  Every time!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11765 on: April 30, 2013, 08:05:10 PM »
And, somehow, kids grow up, be successful and get along quite well despite us.

I am constantly shocked and pleased at some of the stuff many of you have gone through, survived, and come out better people.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11766 on: April 30, 2013, 08:16:02 PM »
Parenting manuals and advice of the past would shock most of the people on this forum and somehow the human race has survived.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #11767 on: April 30, 2013, 09:01:56 PM »
New little thing:  Looking for recipes for Southern Fried Chicken and finding eggs and bread crumbs on the list.  O.o

Seriously... I don't care if you like bread crumbs on chicken (I love breaded cutlets myself), but that is NOT Southern Fried Chicken, durnit.  Mom grew up in WV in the 30s and cooked for a living.  This was her signature dish.  No bread crumbs.

Whats driving me up the wall right now? This post. I want some of my Grandmas fried chicken. Or my Moms. WV women can cook.  ;D

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #11768 on: April 30, 2013, 09:10:56 PM »
Me too, I just don't want to cook it myself. 

TeamBhakta

« Reply #11769 on: April 30, 2013, 09:15:25 PM »
There was a 10 / 11 year old girl, her mom and aunt sitting near me at a buffet restaurant. The girl went off to the drink station and came back with a completely full, about to tip over drink cup. She was basically having to tightrope walk, one step at a time, and hold the drink completely out to keep it from going everywhere. Why was it that full ? She had decided to fill it 1/4 with soda and the rest with chocolate syrup from the dessert buffet, resulting in a oversized, foamy, sloshy drink. I would've been mad if she'd spilled that and my very nice waitress had to clean it up. Not a peep from her mom about not doing that again, just "wow, what is in that" and "careful sliding into the booth."

diesel_darlin

« Reply #11770 on: April 30, 2013, 09:18:40 PM »
Me too, I just don't want to cook it myself.

Me either. But fried chicken would definitely be better than the can of soup I had.  :P

diesel_darlin

« Reply #11771 on: April 30, 2013, 09:21:25 PM »
There was a 10 / 11 year old girl, her mom and aunt sitting near me at a buffet restaurant. The girl went off to the drink station and came back with a completely full, about to tip over drink cup. She was basically having to tightrope walk, one step at a time, and hold the drink completely out to keep it from going everywhere. Why was it that full ? She had decided to fill it 1/4 with soda and the rest with chocolate syrup from the dessert buffet, resulting in a oversized, foamy, sloshy drink. I would've been mad if she'd spilled that and my very nice waitress had to clean it up. Not a peep from her mom about not doing that again, just "wow, what is in that" and "careful sliding into the booth."

Ok, chicken craving averted. The mere thought of chocolate syrup and soda pop is more that I can bear.  ::) And I agree that I would have been upset as well if the waitress would have had to clean that up.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11772 on: April 30, 2013, 09:33:38 PM »

See? Here it is. The judgment of other people that the parent has all the responsibility here.

Frankly, I think the kid probably learned everything she needed to learn about not filling a glass quite so full. All by herself, she learned that.

if her mother had said, "Don't fill it so full the next time," it would have completely undermined the lesson she was learning--and learning ON HER OWN without a helicopter parent.

I think that parent did great.

As for whether the waitress had had to clean it up? Well, in the first place, the waitress doesn't work for you, so I don't know why YOU are being so determined to be *angry* on her behalf.

Second, nothing DID get spilled--the girl was a careful as she could be after she'd made her miscalculation.

And third, if something *had* been spilled, it probably wouldn't have been the whole glass--just a slop here and there. You didn't get a chance to see if the kid would have been part of the clean-up detail, because nothing got spilled.

And don't tell me that grownups haven't done the same sort of thing--I won't believe it.

As for the "mostly chocolate syrup"--well, it's a buffet, right? And so they don't really care what you eat as long as you eat it there. Honestly, who did it hurt? It's "all you can eat" buffet, So she consumed an extra amount of chocolate syrup. I'm sure the restaurant still turned a profit on her meal. If you can't experiment with stuff like that at a buffet, where can you?

I could totally have been that mom--sending my 10yo off on her own to deal with her own food instead of hovering over her like a helicopter. And not chastising her every time she makes a relatively simple mistake. And not harping about chocolate syrup.

Shalamar

« Reply #11773 on: April 30, 2013, 10:22:08 PM »
I want to know how that drink tasted.   I bet it was awesome.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11774 on: April 30, 2013, 10:25:11 PM »
I've found a lot of the times the judgement is a result of people's own feelings about things.  Not really talking so much about anyone here, but I can think of a few times when people were absolutely shocked and judgey because I approached something differently and I'll admit there was some judging on my part as well. 

1) A year or so ago I knew one mother of a 5 year old boy who was very, very much a helicopter mother.  It was like she was afraid to leave him alone at all, to the point where she got a job with the dining services for our town's public school system and tried to get assigned to the same school so she could keep an eye on him.  I can be protective myself but at the same time I frankly liked having my time to myself during the day and her actions to me seemed rather smothering but hey, I don't know her well enough to know just why she was so eager to be able to keep her eye on him as many times as she could manage.  I love my kids but I also enjoy my "Me" time.

2) When we lived in our old town and I was still on speaking terms with my folks, we'd have arguments over the boy's bedsheets.  See, I'd clean them and put them on the bed, then the boys would pull them off and sleep right on the mattress.  They "slept better" that way. And you know what? That was totally not a huge deal to me.  It really and truly wasn't.  But to hear my parents talk, I was the worst, most lazy and neglectful mother because I didn't make them sleep on the sheets. It didn't matter that the boys didn't like it, it was just not right, just not done.

Now I know that yes, the fitted sheets and such do keep the mattress from getting dirty and worn and such, but honestly when it came to wrestling two boys under 8 into bed at night and getting them to settle down so they could get a full night's sleep...well I chose my battles and that one really wasn't all that important to me. 

I guess it's just the difference in personalities. My parents were always Type A folks, whereas I'm definitely a type B.  Quite laid back, and the sort to not sweat the petty details.  In 100 years, is it really going to matter that they slept on their mattress instead of a sheet? I highly doubt it and if it makes them comfortable so they'll sleep, okay, sure.  Whatever.  I do put my foot down where I feel it does matter.  Taking them to church, attending school, doing homework and learning to be good people.  If their mattresses are bare and their gloves don't match in the winter? Meh, they're warm, that's what matters.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata