Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1692123 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11850 on: May 07, 2013, 03:14:05 PM »
Limitations that make no Earthly sense.

I am on my very first tablet, and one of the reasons I wanted one was the ability to use an online game site while away from my desktop.  But this game site uses Java, and for some reason the manufacturer of this tablet, which has a quad core processor, declined to include Java in its device.

It's a great tablet, so it's not a deal breaker, but it is very annoying.

MrTango

« Reply #11851 on: May 07, 2013, 03:20:24 PM »

I am on my very first tablet, and one of the reasons I wanted one was the ability to use an online game site while away from my desktop.  But this game site uses Java, and for some reason the manufacturer of this tablet, which has a quad core processor, declined to include Java in its device.

What operating system does your tablet use?  Oracle might have a version of Java for your device.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #11852 on: May 07, 2013, 03:53:57 PM »

Android, so it's integrated or nothing.  :/

What operating system does your tablet use?  Oracle might have a version of Java for your device.

MrTango

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #11854 on: May 07, 2013, 04:29:19 PM »
Android, so it's integrated or nothing.  :/

See if this helps: http://www.ehow.com/how_8461958_install-java-android.html

Only option is for Javascript (was already on) turned it off and back on again, same thing.  Ah well.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11855 on: May 07, 2013, 04:34:28 PM »
When I get tired when it's not Piratebabe's naptime and I really can't take a nap cause I have to keep after the older two to get their homework and chores done.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

lilfox

« Reply #11856 on: May 07, 2013, 07:55:44 PM »
This is annoying:
Piranha Coworker has been surprisingly nice to her coworkers lately, we think because she's preparing to leave the company soon and is brushing up on her networking skills.  For example, she even said hello and asked me how my research study is going, and trust me she's not shown an interest in my work in all the years I've known her.  That was last week.

Yesterday, she sent an email to someone overseeing the master project that my study is part of, to ask that person to send her any preliminary results from my study, so Piranha can present it at a conference next week.  ???  Apparently, the reason she asked me about the study was just to find out whether we had data yet.  Besides me, she knows two other people who actually run the study but rather than ask us directly if she could present on our behalf, she's making this weird end run to someone who knows very little about the work.  Too bad for her, that person forwarded her request to the study team, which kinda makes Piranha look dim for not doing that in the first place.  She *should* know that only the direct researchers grant permission to use their info, but we think she was just expecting the middleman to send anything the team had already put together directly to her, no questions asked, and no need to let the researchers know what she was planning to do...   ::)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #11857 on: May 07, 2013, 08:06:18 PM »
Oh, I had a similar co-irker a few years ago. She would co-opt anyone's work, then pass it off as hers. She also spent 90% of her work time building a database that only she had access to, and when she left, no one else could access it, and it ended up being dismantled.

Adelaide

« Reply #11858 on: May 07, 2013, 09:47:21 PM »
A couple of years ago, my cousin made the off-handed comment that one of her distant relatives was coming in and that "he's an egghead; I can't understand him but you two might get along." I didn't think much of it. Before my brother left for the military, my cousins threw him a big bash. Before I left, they gave me a thumbs up and a "Oh yeah, good luck". My brother and I are coming in on the same day, after having been gone roughly the same amount of time, and my cousin is gushing about how she's "so excited" that he's finally coming home. She then quoted a religious verse about how family is super duper important and tagged him on facebook.  I GET that you don't like me that much, and I GET that I'm a nerd and all, but geez. I'm only irritated that I'm irritated, if that makes sense. At this age I don't really think that I should be caring about what my family thinks of me.  ::) Maybe I should stick this in the Special Snowflake post, since I feel pretty SS about this.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #11859 on: May 08, 2013, 02:22:46 PM »
Overly starchy pasta.  I'm eating shell pasta with white clam sauce right now, and the overwhelming taste is starch.

Bees

« Reply #11860 on: May 08, 2013, 02:55:21 PM »

JAVA had/has some huge security issues that may/may not have been resolved. The DHS sent out a warning not to use it, Java has done updates but security ban not lifted. Norton says it blocks it but both yahoo and norton flash a security risk warning still. I don't know why Oracle stock has not tanked and don't know what is now being done. Javascript is a different animal and not included. 

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #11861 on: May 08, 2013, 03:23:26 PM »

JAVA had/has some huge security issues that may/may not have been resolved. The DHS sent out a warning not to use it, Java has done updates but security ban not lifted. Norton says it blocks it but both yahoo and norton flash a security risk warning still. I don't know why Oracle stock has not tanked and don't know what is now being done. Javascript is a different animal and not included.

Well, that's wonderful.  It also contributes to making Android a less-than-useful OS.

GreenHall

« Reply #11862 on: May 08, 2013, 03:40:15 PM »
Realizing that you are on vacation (with no network TV access and limited internet access) for the season finale of a show :(
Can anyone recommend the best way to see Once Upon a Time once I'm back in town with internet access?

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #11863 on: May 08, 2013, 03:49:57 PM »
You can go on Hulu and search Once Upon a Time!

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #11864 on: May 08, 2013, 03:50:51 PM »
What is the appeal of placing one's feet on the dash of a car or out the window?