Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1789367 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11895 on: May 11, 2013, 07:44:54 AM »
I have a rent-stabilized apartment where I pay about half the going rate for the space in my area.  The equivalent space in Manhattan would go at four or five times what I am now paying, depending on the neighborhood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent_control_in_New_York

My place is a fourth floor walk-up and the building is just over a hundred years old.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11896 on: May 11, 2013, 08:09:35 AM »
Ah, okay, that makes sense then. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

AvidReader

« Reply #11897 on: May 11, 2013, 09:19:55 AM »
What's a gal got to do in order to get a copy of the family tree from relatives?  One of my dad's cousins researched the family tree years ago when I was still a teenager.  Having a great deal of interest in my family tree, I've asked a few times since then if I could have a look see.   At first it was my dad saying "Oh yeah, I'll talk to my cousin and get a copy..."

...major snip

Would you consider personally contacting this DC and asked his or her pre-paid price for copying and mailing rather than relying on someone to do so on your behalf?

I'm a retired genealogy librarian.  Many researchers spend decades and thousands of dollars on their project.  While some (thank you, Aunt D) willingly share their results with source documents cited but copies not included, others do not.  I have done my own research which runs to 2 very thick binders.  (Aunt D's supporting documents runs to a filing cabinet.)  It would cost a bundle to copy and mail.  I would not just hand it over upon request.  If a relative wanted a copy, I would quote a price, pre-paid, for copying and mailing.   If someone wanted to see a binder during a visit, they are more than welcome to do so.  And no, it is not available for loan.

And another thing.  Just because some ancestor info is online doesn't mean it can be verified with supporting documents.  Some is, a lot isn't.   We always cautioned beginning researchers about that.  "But I saw online that great-grandpa is descended from Henry the 8th."  Online info may be able to guide you but there is no substitute for your own meticulous research.  We had one researcher who believed that she needed to prove every relation with 5 different supporting documents; thereby someone who claimed that it did not exist would have to come up with 6 supporting documents disproving it.  Think of it.  Could you prove your marriage, your parentage, a sibling, a death date with 5 different documents?   We had an otherwise very credible researcher who claimed to be descended from both Charlemagne and John the Baptist. I would have loved to have seen her stash of documentation.

Then there was our perennial favorite.  "Great-grandma said I am descended from Robert E. Lee."  Must be a regional thing.  Well, for starters, REL's living descendants are few and known to each other.  Do you know them?  Second, at the time, there were at least 5 Lee families in Virginia that were NOT related to each other.  So, your ancestor may have been a Lee from Virginia, but not that "Lee" from Virginia.

mmswm

« Reply #11898 on: May 11, 2013, 09:23:09 AM »
My swimsuits are two piece with underwire tops because I need the support.  I've been swimming every day and the underwire is causing an angry looking red spot under my armpits.  I went shopping yesterday for a good, solid, one piece fitness swimsuit.  Both Speedo and Nike do make swimsuits larger than a size 14 (verified on their websites), but the stores around here don't carry them. I guess they think that us fat people don't deserve a well-made suit for lap swimming. Ugh.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Carotte

« Reply #11899 on: May 11, 2013, 02:05:11 PM »
My swimsuits are two piece with underwire tops because I need the support.  I've been swimming every day and the underwire is causing an angry looking red spot under my armpits.  I went shopping yesterday for a good, solid, one piece fitness swimsuit.  Both Speedo and Nike do make swimsuits larger than a size 14 (verified on their websites), but the stores around here don't carry them. I guess they think that us fat people don't deserve a well-made suit for lap swimming. Ugh.

They also might not carry stock in the sizes they sell the less of, can you ask them to order them? If they have the model they might be able to (I know some stores that would and some that couldn't even if they wanted to, you never know).
This reminds me that I should look for a new swimming top, mine is a bit tight, and maybe a bottom, it's starting to be a bit loose (  ::) you can never win can you.)
But I only like the ones who looks like boys briefs and not many stores have them.

jilly

« Reply #11900 on: May 11, 2013, 03:04:22 PM »

That is just plain odd and bad business really as you are less likely to try again next time when they might have had something you wanted actually in stock. For now could you get a cheap unsupportive two piece or even just the top as you have the bottom half and wear a sports bra under?

mmswm

« Reply #11901 on: May 11, 2013, 03:36:42 PM »

That is just plain odd and bad business really as you are less likely to try again next time when they might have had something you wanted actually in stock. For now could you get a cheap unsupportive two piece or even just the top as you have the bottom half and wear a sports bra under?

It turned out to be Sports Authority's loss. And in a big way (pun most definitely intended). I could just barely squeeze into a size 14.  I went to Speedo's website and they have a great selection is size 16's and 18's. I bought two suits in a 16 figuring that I just needed one size bigger and then two in a size 14 figuring those will fit by the end of the summer, plus having them will serve as an added incentive to keep with the program. They cost the same as at a store so it's more profit for Speedo to order directly. Also having the smaller suits now keeps me from getting impatient and shopping at Sports Authority when I do need the smaller suits. When I need even smaller sizes I will likely use Speedo's website again because it was a great experience. I feel like it's a great statement by an athletic company that they don't just give a passing thought to us larger people who are trying to make a change in our lives, but they also put effort into making sure that our unique physical needs are met and offer dozens of different styles to boot! Speedo made themselves a life long customer today at the loss of several major retailers.  Oh,I should also add that those suits are between 70 and 100 bucks each, so this was not a puny purchase.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

snowfire

« Reply #11902 on: May 11, 2013, 04:54:03 PM »
Ocean makes good fitness suits in larger sizes.  Mine is over 18 months old  and is still going strong.  I think I paid ~55.00 for it.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #11903 on: May 11, 2013, 04:56:36 PM »
TV shows where the character's dwellings and furnishings do not match up with their supposed incomes.   When I've caught the show "Friends" in reruns I've watched it and thought "How in the world are they affording these nice apartments on their salaries?"  Especially when you rarely saw them actually working, and most of the time they just sat around Monica and Rachel's apartment, or in Central Perk. 

Either that or rent in NYC isn't as expensive as I'm imagining it to be.

How is it that two physicists who work at a college have the same apartment as a struggling actress who works at the Cheesecake Factory?  The apartments appear to be similar enough that I'd think the rent would be the same...
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Carotte

« Reply #11904 on: May 11, 2013, 05:40:52 PM »
Well, that's supposed to be the floor plan of their appartments, so Leonard and Sheldon one is bigger, but they're two.. I guess they could live on their own if they wanted but Sheldon wouldn't survive (and we saw him quite afraid Leonard was going to leave this season, and doing everything to prevent it).

TeamBhakta

« Reply #11905 on: May 11, 2013, 08:05:51 PM »
An otherwise outstanding waitress who said, when it was my turn to order, "And what can I get for you, beautiful young lady ?" I had to refrain from "Excuse me, I am 10 to 12 years older than you. And even if I wasn't, that is an overly familiar way to address a customer." I know it was just her schtick and not sarcasm, flirting or buttering up, because she would check on tables and say to herself "Okay, that table has silverware and is cleaned. Beautiful. Glasses all filled over there. Beautiful"; but I still disliked her referring to me that way when I ordered

Calistoga

« Reply #11906 on: May 11, 2013, 09:37:21 PM »
The fact that the towns closest to me all have breakfast places that serve waffles, but not pancakes. Waffles are all well and good, but darn it, sometime I want pancakes.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #11907 on: May 11, 2013, 09:45:57 PM »
An otherwise outstanding waitress who said, when it was my turn to order, "And what can I get for you, beautiful young lady ?" I had to refrain from "Excuse me, I am 10 to 12 years older than you. And even if I wasn't, that is an overly familiar way to address a customer." I know it was just her schtick and not sarcasm, flirting or buttering up, because she would check on tables and say to herself "Okay, that table has silverware and is cleaned. Beautiful. Glasses all filled over there. Beautiful"; but I still disliked her referring to me that way when I ordered

I'm 25, people often mistake me for barely 18.  What they don't understand is that that is insulting...I understand they're trying to be flattering but it really just isn't.  You reach an age where appearing younger is not a compliment.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Mad Goat Woman

• formerly Hamlet: The Original Emo
    • Mad Goat Woman
« Reply #11908 on: May 11, 2013, 11:27:03 PM »

I'm 25, people often mistake me for barely 18.  What they don't understand is that that is insulting...I understand they're trying to be flattering but it really just isn't.  You reach an age where appearing younger is not a compliment.

I get that, too, and I'll be twenty seven this year.

Captains Flat, Australia

Carotte

« Reply #11909 on: May 12, 2013, 09:18:32 AM »

I'm 25 next week, a couple of months ago I was in a coffee shop so that SO could buy his coffee, a lady (customer) there asked us if I was even of majority (18 here)  :o. Thankfully she's the only one who made me that young, I hopefully look at least 20/22... It doesn't help that I'm always with people who are between 28 and 31.