Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1638142 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11910 on: May 12, 2013, 09:38:26 AM »
I used to get the opposite.  In the early years of our marriage I was often considered to be Mr. Thipu's mother.  I AM three years older than he is but, even then, he was tall, beefy and had white hair. 

We could never figure out how that happened but it popped up from time to time for about five years. 

TeamBhakta

« Reply #11911 on: May 12, 2013, 10:59:57 AM »
The fact that the towns closest to me all have breakfast places that serve waffles, but not pancakes. Waffles are all well and good, but darn it, sometime I want pancakes.

It annoys me when I order waffles and it's just pancake mix poured into a waffle iron. Those kind of waffles are not crisp enough. Proper waffle batter is worth it's weight in gold in the TeamBhakta family

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #11912 on: May 12, 2013, 01:23:19 PM »
When someone else commits me to something without asking, and I can't refuse to go for various reasons.  Technically I can, but it will be worse for me if I do.

mmswm

« Reply #11913 on: May 12, 2013, 01:42:52 PM »
When I do something that I know is going to wind up irritating me later.  The most recent example of this is downloading Minecraft to my iPad and iPhone.  Guess who's not playing on her own stuff while the children take over?
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #11914 on: May 14, 2013, 07:40:59 AM »
Recently I gave away bottles of frozen breastmilk to another mother who had lactation problems. My husband has been fretting 'what if we get a shortage'? But every working day I pump 3-4 oz more then the baby drinks, and I also pump on my days off. In a week I had already stored over a liter in the freezer (34 oz), but he still doesn't understand that that is not an issue.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #11915 on: May 14, 2013, 07:54:26 AM »
I used to get the opposite.  In the early years of our marriage I was often considered to be Mr. Thipu's mother.  I AM three years older than he is but, even then, he was tall, beefy and had white hair. 

We could never figure out how that happened but it popped up from time to time for about five years.

I have been mistaken for my SOís mother. Twice! And heís 4 years older than I am. I donít think he looks that young (the receding hairline helps), but I guess I can understand it when heís in cycling gear (which is when it happened).

It does make me a bit sad when we go out to a bar or restaurant and he gets carded while I donít.

Cami

« Reply #11916 on: May 14, 2013, 10:30:35 AM »
When someone sends you an evite to a party and you have to create an account to reply.
Followed closely in the Irksome Olympics by that same rsvp requiring that you not only tell them what category of food you'll be bringing (and oh yes, it's a potluck, which I did not know until RIGHT NOW), but exactly what dish you'll be bringing. I clicked "dessert" and typed in "Something" as my answer.

Argh. First off, don't use a software program that requires attendees to set up accounts. Secondly, tell attendees the party is a potluck from the outset. Third, do not insist on trying to force them to tell you exactly what dish they'll be bringing to YOUR party. Take it or leave it. That's why it's called potLUCK.

CuriousParty

« Reply #11917 on: May 14, 2013, 10:51:12 AM »
Recently I gave away bottles of frozen breastmilk to another mother who had lactation problems. My husband has been fretting 'what if we get a shortage'? But every working day I pump 3-4 oz more then the baby drinks, and I also pump on my days off. In a week I had already stored over a liter in the freezer (34 oz), but he still doesn't understand that that is not an issue.
Girlysprite - do you have a method of tracking your inventory/expiration dates?  I found that was helpful for my DH - we use the Total Baby app, and it allows us to track how much is stored, in what manner (e.g. fridge, freezer, etc) and expiration dates.  That way DH can see a list of the resources we have.

Also, I have similar...er...bounty, but I have found myself in a shortage before (over the course of feeding my three for a year each).  Not often, but if the baby went through a growth spurt, or I was gone for a whole day - 34 ounces seems like a lot in volume, but depending on how much the baby is eating we've found that can last only be a day and a half or so, especially with spillage/wastage from not eating all of a defrosted/warmed bottle.  I have found that it's best for us to estimate how many days we have in storage, and maintain 3 days worth minimum in frozen as a secure backup.  Maybe agreeing on a similar volume that is comfortable for you and DH would help.

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #11918 on: May 14, 2013, 11:29:56 AM »

Because poopadities happens.  I had over 100oz in my freezer.  I thought I was good, because I was going to go back to work, and that would give me a good amount since I couldnt' BF at work.

I went through it in less than a week because I was in a major car accident, and my supply tanked.

So, 34 oz?  Not nearly enough if something happens.

Allyson

« Reply #11919 on: May 14, 2013, 01:39:03 PM »
The phrase "I hate to break it to you." It comes off as so smug, like you don't really 'hate' it at all.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #11920 on: May 14, 2013, 01:41:15 PM »
^ I feel the same about "Just saying".

mmswm

« Reply #11921 on: May 14, 2013, 02:01:27 PM »
Being forced to go to a beach party when I don't know anybody but the person dragging me there and my kids. The kids are having a great time so I suppose my misery is worth it.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #11922 on: May 14, 2013, 02:21:14 PM »
The phrase "I hate to break it to you." It comes off as so smug, like you don't really 'hate' it at all.

I'm sorry you've had people use it with/around you in a snotty way. Whenever I use it, it's about serious stuff, and I usually have a serious, caring tone.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Allyson

« Reply #11923 on: May 14, 2013, 02:40:04 PM »
I don't usually hear it used about serious personal things, but often about opinions, or facts they think someone's got wrong. For instance, if I say I found X book set in the past sexist/racist, they'll say, "I hate to break it to you, but that's just the way it was back then."

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11924 on: May 14, 2013, 03:24:27 PM »
Wireless internet.  Full stop.