News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 12:29:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5495505 times)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11865 on: May 16, 2013, 07:05:34 PM »
Can you use street signs or signs designating exits? There are usually a lot of 'New' in those.

I can, but they all count as S for Sign. I have very strict rules. Good thing there are lots of yuccas around my place or Y would have been problematic.  :D

Esan ozenki!

Arizona

lemonfloorwax

« Reply #11866 on: May 16, 2013, 11:03:28 PM »
People who, when they find out something bothers you, insist on doing it because it's "funny". 

Yes, yes yes!
I have a fear of a certain wild animal. It's a ridiculous fear. I understand that. Every time I see one, I go into a bit of a panic. I have had to get up and leave programs at the nature center when they had a "meet the animals" encounter and brought one out. (I didn't run away screaming, or shove people out of the way but I did move rather quickly.)
Everyone seems to think it is hilarious. My husband, the kids, the girls in my GS troop, my in-laws, my friends...pretty much everyone. I admit, it is kind of funny. But it irks me to no END when I get teased about it. My SIL would post pics of this animal on facebook and then tag me. (She stopped after I reported her to FB.) My other SIL would send me text messages on my phone with a picture of the animal. My husband was out of town on business and brought back a plush stuffed animal for the kids. My "best" friend bought my daughter a small stuffed animal that she would leave in my bed, in the car, in my jacket, etc. The stuffed animals are now at Goodwill.
I do not go around and make fun of other people's phobias. (Believe me, I have known people with some BIZARRE ones!) I wouldn't dream of putting fake spiders in my friend's car if she was afraid of them. So why is it okay to do it to me?
(Sorry if that sounds like whining! I'm just frustrated.)

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #11867 on: May 17, 2013, 12:14:02 AM »
People who, when they find out something bothers you, insist on doing it because it's "funny". 

Yes, yes yes!
I have a fear of a certain wild animal. It's a ridiculous fear. I understand that. Every time I see one, I go into a bit of a panic. I have had to get up and leave programs at the nature center when they had a "meet the animals" encounter and brought one out. (I didn't run away screaming, or shove people out of the way but I did move rather quickly.)
Everyone seems to think it is hilarious. My husband, the kids, the girls in my GS troop, my in-laws, my friends...pretty much everyone. I admit, it is kind of funny. But it irks me to no END when I get teased about it. My SIL would post pics of this animal on facebook and then tag me. (She stopped after I reported her to FB.) My other SIL would send me text messages on my phone with a picture of the animal. My husband was out of town on business and brought back a plush stuffed animal for the kids. My "best" friend bought my daughter a small stuffed animal that she would leave in my bed, in the car, in my jacket, etc. The stuffed animals are now at Goodwill.
I do not go around and make fun of other people's phobias. (Believe me, I have known people with some BIZARRE ones!) I wouldn't dream of putting fake spiders in my friend's car if she was afraid of them. So why is it okay to do it to me?
(Sorry if that sounds like whining! I'm just frustrated.)
I'm going to guess here because you didn't mention the animal, but is it because the rest of the world thinks this is a cute or harmless animal?  It's because they don't understand how something as cute as a penguin can make you break out in cold sweats.  That butterflies aren't pretty, harmless insects, but ravening monsters that live only to make you veer off the road by flying in front of you and plastering themselves to your windshield.

Most of us can understand phobias about potentially harmful things, like snakes and spiders.  It's the more unusual ones, like yellow butterflies or My Little Pony that make us scratch our heads.  Even so, if you tell me that you're terrified of butterflies, I won't suggest that you chaperone the fourth grade field trip to the butterfly farm, or give your children picture books of butterflies.  (I've even heard of such severe phobias about certain things that the phobic person can't even stand to read the name of the phobia item.  That they'll scream and throw books across the room if they come on it unexpectedly, and make someone else take the book out to the garbage.)

Just keep me away from spheroid sports objects flying through the air, please!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TeamBhakta

« Reply #11868 on: May 17, 2013, 12:31:58 AM »
There is a company in my area that makes paper placemats for restaurants. Each placemat is filled with ads for various businesses. The top of the placemat says, in big bolded letters, "If your reading this so are your customers!!!" That mistake has been showing up for over a year now. Drives me bonkers every time

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #11869 on: May 17, 2013, 12:55:28 AM »
When Facebook asks me if I want to buy my friends gift cards for things they like on Facebook for their birthday. I don't expect a site to realize this, but I am in college and have no money for that amount of frivolity, even for my dearest friends. I wish there were a way to turn that kind of thing off.

Vita brevis, ars longa

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11870 on: May 17, 2013, 02:16:49 AM »
It USED to be insomnia.  A few months ago, I started being able to reliably sleep through the night, after decades of being up 'til 2, 3AM on a regular basis.  Then, after two *months*, I started getting insomnia again.

Wait, it gets better.

Now, I have intermittent insomnia.  Three or four nights per week I'm fine, the rest I'm up half way through (check the timestamp, I'm on the east coast of the US, guess what kind of night this is!).  And this is FAR worse than constant insomnia, because at least constant insomnia is reliable.

guihong

« Reply #11871 on: May 17, 2013, 06:18:05 AM »
Last night was DS's Spring band concert (he plays trombone).  Now, this is 7th grade; we're not talking the London Philharmonic, but some basic etiquette still applies.

*Don't talk/text if the keys make a clicking noise/allow your young children to play games with sound effects during the music!  At one point, the family behind us was so loud that at least six of us turned around and "Shh'd".  Maybe that wasn't polite in itself, but enough was enough.

*If your party is sitting in the top of the bleachers, and you leave for some reason, try not to make people move so you can get up and down multiple times.  Just sit on the bottom seat until the end.

*It seems rude to me to leave as soon as your kid's part is over, while another group is performing.  The groups that had already performed were supposed to go sit on another set of bleachers, but some kids snuck over to their families in the confusion and they left.

*Don't run out onto the floor of the gym to tape, when they're trying to get the show started.

The kids worked hard for that show and were well-behaved.  It's the parents  >:(.

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11872 on: May 17, 2013, 06:29:34 AM »
I don't consider that a little thing.  While a school concert doesn't involve expensive tickets and formal clothes I don't think the rules of behavior should be any different.

lemonfloorwax

« Reply #11873 on: May 17, 2013, 08:38:18 AM »

I'm going to guess here because you didn't mention the animal, but is it because the rest of the world thinks this is a cute or harmless animal?  It's because they don't understand how something as cute as a penguin can make you break out in cold sweats.  That butterflies aren't pretty, harmless insects, but ravening monsters that live only to make you veer off the road by flying in front of you and plastering themselves to your windshield.

Most of us can understand phobias about potentially harmful things, like snakes and spiders.  It's the more unusual ones, like yellow butterflies or My Little Pony that make us scratch our heads.  Even so, if you tell me that you're terrified of butterflies, I won't suggest that you chaperone the fourth grade field trip to the butterfly farm, or give your children picture books of butterflies.  (I've even heard of such severe phobias about certain things that the phobic person can't even stand to read the name of the phobia item.  That they'll scream and throw books across the room if they come on it unexpectedly, and make someone else take the book out to the garbage.)

Just keep me away from spheroid sports objects flying through the air, please!
[/quote]

Yes, it is an animal that most people wouldn't find scary at all. Not one you would domesticate but you probably wouldn't freak out if it was scurrying down the street. That being said, I don't think I could actually HARM one. (Unless it was attacking my kids or something.) I'd be more likely to scream and run off.
My oldest niece is finally beginning to understand. She has developed a sudden irrational fear of moths after she found one on her face one morning. Since then, they freak her out to no end. She actually apologized for teasing me when she was younger. :)

Twik

« Reply #11874 on: May 17, 2013, 08:49:58 AM »
My peeve? Being called in to do a presentation for, say, 15 people, to find that it is scheduled in a room with barely space enough for 10, when you consider the chairs. Oh, chairs, you say? Well, we've got 7. Everyone else can just stand up for four hours straight, right? No?

Then, everyone stares at me, as if I should be able to solve the problem for them.

Really, people. I do not carry chairs in my pocket, nor magical expanding space. It's your facility, you should know how many people it can fit.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
« Reply #11875 on: May 17, 2013, 08:23:06 PM »
When someone demands something that you own/can get/have made, with no compensation offered.  I posted on FB that I was excited to make various batches of soap this weekend.  The sister of one of my friends posted the comment "Your soap is amazing.  Can I have some samples to try?".  It's the only comment on one of my posts she's ever made.  >:(  I do sometimes give away samples to friends, because I want them to tell me how a certain recipe has turned out, or if they like/dislike something about the soap or other product, but in those cases I will ask my friends "Hey, do you mind trying something out and letting me know what you think?".  I generally don't give away things to people who demand them. 

I've gotten the same sort of demand from people at work - I mentioned to someone that I was applying to work at my state's Ren Fest this year and she said, "Then you can get me free tickets!".  Ah, no, that would not be why I'm applying to work there. 

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #11876 on: May 17, 2013, 08:31:50 PM »
Vacations that go by way too quickly.   It feels like it was just yesterday I picked my bf up from the train station but it was last Saturday.  I had to take her back this afternoon and I miss her already. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #11877 on: May 17, 2013, 08:38:21 PM »
When people make snide comments about what you are eating.  It annoys the crap out of me.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Mental Magpie

« Reply #11878 on: May 19, 2013, 05:10:39 PM »
When someone demands something that you own/can get/have made, with no compensation offered.  I posted on FB that I was excited to make various batches of soap this weekend.  The sister of one of my friends posted the comment "Your soap is amazing.  Can I have some samples to try?".  It's the only comment on one of my posts she's ever made.  >:(  I do sometimes give away samples to friends, because I want them to tell me how a certain recipe has turned out, or if they like/dislike something about the soap or other product, but in those cases I will ask my friends "Hey, do you mind trying something out and letting me know what you think?".  I generally don't give away things to people who demand them. 

I've gotten the same sort of demand from people at work - I mentioned to someone that I was applying to work at my state's Ren Fest this year and she said, "Then you can get me free tickets!".  Ah, no, that would not be why I'm applying to work there.

I don't think she demanded anything of you.  She asked for some samples.  Had she said, "Give me some samples to try" I would agree with you, but I don't think asking for some is demanding some.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #11879 on: May 19, 2013, 07:16:12 PM »
I handed a hot cup of coffee to a customer. He sipped it and then tried to get his baby grandson to drink it. What part of "careful, it's hot" don't you understand, buddy ?  :o It's a good thing his wife told him to not do that, although her reason was "the baby doesn't like coffee." I also had a customer stuff popcorn into the mouth of a baby that had no teeth yet and was barely old enough to sit up  :(