Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1790680 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11985 on: May 21, 2013, 09:26:15 AM »
We have a paid house sitter every time we leave for longer than a 3 day weekend, so I am not so concerned about that. We also have a security system and great insurance, so that isn't a priority for me. DS only posts occasionally, a few times a month.

cwm

« Reply #11986 on: May 22, 2013, 12:42:49 PM »
"At least 300 or more..."

Which is it? At least 300? Or 300 or more? This happens all too often from professional news reporters. Drives me up the wall!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11987 on: May 22, 2013, 01:27:22 PM »
"There will be at the fewest 300. There may be more than that."

"300 or more"

I can't think of another way to say it as sthey mean the same thing.

blueyzca01

« Reply #11988 on: May 22, 2013, 01:40:01 PM »
There is a certain family recipe that I would love to have.  I recently found out that one of my maternal aunts has it.  I asked my mom to request it for me the next time she spoke to her sister.

Mom called me back a couple of weeks later.  "She won't give it up...maybe if you call and beg, she'd reconsider."

My hubby is extremely offended on my behalf.  "But it's a F-A-M-I-L-Y receipe!  Last time I checked, you are in the family."
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11989 on: May 22, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »

"300 or more"

"At least 300"

It means both things:  no fewer than 300 and possibly more

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #11990 on: May 22, 2013, 06:38:02 PM »
I was in the waiting room at the doctor's office this morning. After a few minutes, a medical assistant stuck her head into the room and called "Jennifer?" That being my name and all, I collected my stuff, stood up, and began to walk toward her. As did two other women. Stupid common name...  ::)
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11991 on: May 22, 2013, 06:40:19 PM »
DH had two girlfriends named Jennifer...in a row.  The second one went by her confirmation name because she was so tired of having a common name. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11992 on: May 22, 2013, 08:01:10 PM »

"300 or more"

"At least 300" and "300 or more" mean the same thing, so both phrases don't belong in one sentence.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11993 on: May 22, 2013, 11:36:10 PM »

"300 or more"

"At least 300" and "300 or more" mean the same thing, so both phrases don't belong in one sentence.

Oh, I see your point. I did once know someone who really didn't know what 'at least' means! Sorry to offend.

I'm so accustomed to redundancy that I don't let it bother me anymore. I let other things that I can't change annoy me instead.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11994 on: May 22, 2013, 11:39:13 PM »
Whited out for mild grossness: having a stuffy nose that just will not unstuff when you want it to, that then gets sneezed all over without warning.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

TeamBhakta

« Reply #11995 on: May 23, 2013, 09:15:08 AM »
The parents who let their six year old play "dance on the sunbeam" at Ruby Tuesday last night, between our table, their booth and one other table. Every time waiters went through, they'd have to say "excuse me", the kid would only sort of move out of the way and then she'd immediately start dancing again. Poor waiters could barely take a step past and she'd practically step on their heels to jump back in. The whole time it was (1) dance, sing and chatter on the floor (2) lean next to the table like it was a ballet barre (3) bounce in and out of the booth. She was right behind our party's elbows and heads were going to roll if she hit us while using sharp knives to cut our meals. Her mom was complaining about "(Someone not at the restaurant)'s behavior is so annoying. Like oh my deity, why would someone act like that ? So rude." Her dad commented at one point "It's not our job to remember to remind you. It's your job to remember to remind yourself." I don't know if he meant "you have to remind yourself to behave" or something else, but I really had to refrain from snapping "She can't even behave in a restaurant, so maybe you should start with THAT." I don't know why they brought her to Ruby Tuesday, since the one I was at is geared towards older couples and business meetings; there were plenty of play place restaurants nearby they could've picked :P

magicdomino

« Reply #11996 on: May 23, 2013, 10:34:22 AM »
Restaurants who have fancy websites, complete with music and slideshow, then bury the address and hours along with an out-of-date menu. 

Shalamar

« Reply #11997 on: May 23, 2013, 01:04:17 PM »
While on that subject - companies whose websites are still "under construction" or have dead links several years later.  The company is still up and running, the website not so much.

Carotte

« Reply #11998 on: May 23, 2013, 01:10:25 PM »
The weather, like everywhere else on the planet (or so it seems) has gone banana here.
Today it was : sun/rain/sun/rain/sunny/grey/rain/grey... and let's not talk about the temperatures! It's may and I have to wear a shirt/sweatshirt/vest combo when I'm outside (it should be shirt/light vest, not winter!).
It should be about 64F (18C) and it's 44F (7C)!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11999 on: May 23, 2013, 04:01:11 PM »
The weather, like everywhere else on the planet (or so it seems) has gone banana here.
Today it was : sun/rain/sun/rain/sunny/grey/rain/grey... and let's not talk about the temperatures! It's may and I have to wear a shirt/sweatshirt/vest combo when I'm outside (it should be shirt/light vest, not winter!).
It should be about 64F (18C) and it's 44F (7C)!

It was 87 here yesterday. Let's swap.  :)