Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1823375 times)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12135 on: June 05, 2013, 05:19:56 PM »
This ridiculously complicated greyscale jigsaw puzzle.  I am this close to chucking it away, and I have done 90% of it!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12136 on: June 05, 2013, 05:22:58 PM »
The phrase "I hate to break it to you." It comes off as so smug, like you don't really 'hate' it at all.

I'm sorry you've had people use it with/around you in a snotty way. Whenever I use it, it's about serious stuff, and I usually have a serious, caring tone.

Or do you say, "I hate to have to tell you..."?

Because the "break it to you" is the part that's snottiest.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12137 on: June 05, 2013, 05:28:32 PM »
My sister just did one of those things that makes me SO GLAD we don't live in the same state.

I'm admitting, I've had a sort of rough week, and a rough day today especially. Among other things, my lunch plans got cancelled, and because I'd had plans, I didn't bring lunch with me, like I do 99% of the time. I said something to that effect on Facebook. My sister, who uses her Facebook exclusively to complain about her job, her coworkers, and the fact that having a kid means she can't have fuuuuuunnnnnn anymore (defined by her as drinking and scrabble with people she's only casually acquainted with) asked me if I wanted some cheese with my "whine, whine, whine, whine".

Like I said, it's a good thing she doesn't live in my state. I'd be over there with a cluebat so fast....

I admit, I always snicker when the people who vaguebook or whine about every facet of their life on fbook are the very ones who share memes making fun of people who do the exact same thing.  I'd chalk it up to self-deprecating humor with some of them but others aren't really that self aware.   Like a drama queen making fun of people who love to stir up drama and how "Oh I just can't deal with people and their drama!"

I so want to say "Why, cause it takes the attention away from yours?"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Snooks

« Reply #12138 on: June 05, 2013, 05:29:23 PM »
My job is quite difficult to define, the job title probably exists in most organisations but the job function can vary wildly even within organisations.  I told someone I'd just met what I did and his response was "Is that a fancy way of saying admin assistant?".  No, it's not.  I've been an admin assistant in the past and I had no problem saying that's what I did when I did it but now I do something else.

mmswm

« Reply #12139 on: June 05, 2013, 08:55:48 PM »
This ridiculously complicated greyscale jigsaw puzzle.  I am this close to chucking it away, and I have done 90% of it!

I feel your pain.  I've got this complicated glow in the dark puzzle going right now and I'm about to pitch it into a woodchipper.

On another note, why do I develop a sudden need to use the bathroom seconds after I finish painting my nails but before they're dry?
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #12140 on: June 06, 2013, 09:44:43 AM »
I hate Facebook whiners with a passion.  I have 2 friends and a relative who post nothing but how haaaaaaaaaard their lives are, how everyone has it easier than them, how it must be nice to have money or vacations or anything.  I blocked their feeds because they can find nothing good, and honestly...their lives are fine..kids are healthy, marriages are good, they have jobs.  But myself and a few other people I know who are going through some personal hells right now are posting all this upbeat funny stuff and one pm'd me and said if she saw one more post from relative with his whining, she was driving 5 states away and slapping him  >:D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12141 on: June 06, 2013, 09:57:54 AM »
I have a theory that some of these people who share EVERYTHING on their mind on fbook are just lonely and don't have anyone to talk to on a daily basis. Or they have people around but can't talk to them about this stuff (kids, a disinterested spouse).

Brings to mind people who would call into the doctors office I used to work in to talk about ANYTHING until you could finally get them off the phone.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #12142 on: June 06, 2013, 10:31:10 AM »
How about people who post political rants on Facebook?  One friend of mine posts links to stuff and rants about it and doesn't seem to care that this could prevent her finding employment.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #12143 on: June 06, 2013, 10:40:16 AM »
That is a lovely positive spin Piratelvr  ;D  If only it were true with the ones I know.  They are miserable, jealous, mean people who tend to make those around them miserable.  With my relative, everything someone else has is a personal slight to him because why do they haave it?  Why don't I haaaave it?  He has a good job, beautiful wife who worships him, wonderful kids, he is about to be a grandfather and all he does is whine.  He calls out his ex wife (15 years divorced) on FB for no reason other than he is spiteful, his oldest son has obviously cut him off so he calls him out on FB saying some nasty things, he calls me out on FB because I do not respond to him one bit, he cries on FB about how expensive it is to put his DD in a very pricey activity and how he needs to ask for money to do it (it is so not a necessity at all and the kid is 5), he whines about everything instead of looking at what he has.  And call him on it?  The amount of whine flowing is amazing for an adult man (he is in his 40's).  And if someone posts that they had a bad day (just something general like 'Glad this day is over) he starts whining they are soooo lucky because his life is sooooo bad. 

How about people who post political rants on Facebook?  One friend of mine posts links to stuff and rants about it and doesn't seem to care that this could prevent her finding employment.

Sounds like relative...he puts up some pretty radical stuff that is very anti government (he can have whatever opinion he wants) but numerous of us have remarked privately that his job could be seriously put in jeopardy due to some of the things he says.  Or as my one relative remarked "Wonder when the secret service will knock on his door?"   ;D

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #12144 on: June 06, 2013, 11:04:34 AM »
My web host just tried to force me to upgrade to a higher level service by wording it as "look what we’re giving you, but we have to raise prices too". The fine print shows that I can keep my existing package, but it is an opt-out upgrade, not opt-in. They may well have just lost me as a customer if I can find the time in the near future to migrate the five websites I host with them.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12145 on: June 06, 2013, 11:06:30 AM »
The amount of whine flowing is amazing for an adult man (he is in his 40's).  And if someone posts that they had a bad day (just something general like 'Glad this day is over) he starts whining they are soooo lucky because his life is sooooo bad. 

Why are are you Friends with this gentleman?

It is really easy to unfriend or hide a person, especially if you can get his family news from someone else, or just check his posts when you feel up to it.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12146 on: June 06, 2013, 11:17:17 AM »
That is a lovely positive spin Piratelvr  ;D  If only it were true with the ones I know.

Well not everyone on my wall is like that either but I do know that maybe one or two are.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12147 on: June 06, 2013, 12:56:01 PM »
My youngest sister never calls, and never sends birthday cards, but has been complaining to our mother that she is forgotten. She is 34 years old, not a child.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #12148 on: June 06, 2013, 02:06:57 PM »
He is a relative Luci, and I block his feeds, but for giggles (or when another relative says "oh you have got to see the latest") I will go check his drivel.   He actually nominated himself for the delete yesterday tho when he posted something specifically to mine & and another relatives wall calling us out for (are you ready for this) ignoring him and not responding to his posts!  There has to be one in every family but geez, I got 2 now! 

Allyson

« Reply #12149 on: June 06, 2013, 03:35:26 PM »
Speaking of facebook weird/annoying, a friend of mine recently posted he was at an interview that seemed kind of like a scam/pyramid scheme. I posted something basically saying, if it's giving you weird vibes, go research it online and get different perspectives. Didn't say anything about the company in question. Well, turns out he got the interview through a mutual friend of ours who posted something so company-speak and robotic it didn't sound anything like her, about how 'this company may be different, but give it a chance and don't let it scare you'...it was a little frightening. And felt like she was chastising me for suggesting he research it first. Weird.