Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1304877 times)

Carotte

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12150 on: June 07, 2013, 06:47:03 AM »
People you are meeting/waiting for or delivery people who tells you they are on their way but don't give you any estimate of when they'll get there.
Great, I know you at least left where you were, I'm not even sure of where you were, you could be here in 10min or an hour, just tell me the best case scenario, maybe I can go grab a coffee or check out the bookstore instead of staying at the meeting place.

Or the "I'll be late", ok, but by how much? I always try to give an estimate, even just a minimum "I'll be here no soonest than 12pm since it's 11:45, I have a 10min commute and the train is blocked, but it could take longer".

Does it show that I'm waiting for a delivery, the guy called one hour ago but didn't say when he'll be here (just that he's on his way) and that I've been putting off my shower or bathroom visit in case he gets here?

Dr. F.

« Reply #12151 on: June 07, 2013, 11:05:01 AM »
At the moment, it's the group of 15 or so kids (4-6 yo?) with their teacher (from the office daycare, I'm sure) who are exercising or dancing or something in the atrium of my office building. The noise is echoing off of all of the walls - it sounds like there's about 100 of them down there. It's incredibly distracting.

snowflake

« Reply #12152 on: June 07, 2013, 11:06:02 AM »

I admit, I always snicker when the people who vaguebook or whine about every facet of their life on fbook are the very ones who share memes making fun of people who do the exact same thing.  I'd chalk it up to self-deprecating humor with some of them but others aren't really that self aware.   Like a drama queen making fun of people who love to stir up drama and how "Oh I just can't deal with people and their drama!"

I so want to say "Why, cause it takes the attention away from yours?"

I just had a long-time friend break off a relationship.  Just as background, she's 45 and was divorced last year.  She took a six month "break from dating" which was supposed to be three years but she met "John" 5 months ago and it was just Twuuuuuu WUUUUUUVVVV!  In three months' time they dated, made plans to move in, didn't actually get engaged but she got a promise ring, and then they broke up.  Keep in mind, she posted every single thing on facebook.  Including the ring shots of "Well, I'm not engaged but I will be someday."  Then he said they were moving too fast and friend zoned her.  She posted links to eight hundred break-up memes, quoted sad and unhealthy song lyrics, and links to youtube videos of the stalkery 80s break up songs that we thought were deep when we were in junior high.  At this point she has been posting sad things about their relationship almost as long as it lasted.

Last week I messaged her to ask if she was feeling better (and yes I know this is almost an non-gesture.)  She was like, "Oh, I'm OK.  I'm the quiet type and I normally keep my pain to myself but did you hear that John and I broke up?"

I am still giggling over that one.

She's also mad because he said he wanted to stay friends but he won't return her calls.  Well even if he had been sincere, seeing "U stomped on my heart, how can you live with yourself?" emblazoned on a sad cat gif has got to make him feel awkward, right?

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12153 on: June 07, 2013, 01:02:55 PM »
It drives me crazy when Microsoft Word doesn't know the words I'm typing.  I was transcribing some behavioral health notes the other day, and the word "dysphoric" kept coming up.  I hate that Word underlines it in red and tells me that's not correct (Word wants to change it to dysphonic, which would not be at all the right word!).  It is correct, and I'm not going to change it!  >:(

magicdomino

« Reply #12154 on: June 07, 2013, 01:55:31 PM »
A columnist recently wrote an article about the National Spelling Bee.  As an aside, she mentioned that while she was writing, Microsoft Word had redlined most of the spelling bee words.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #12155 on: June 07, 2013, 02:12:52 PM »
It drives me crazy when Microsoft Word doesn't know the words I'm typing.  I was transcribing some behavioral health notes the other day, and the word "dysphoric" kept coming up.  I hate that Word underlines it in red and tells me that's not correct (Word wants to change it to dysphonic, which would not be at all the right word!).  It is correct, and I'm not going to change it!  >:(

That's where right-click -> "Add to dictionary" comes in really, really handy.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12156 on: June 09, 2013, 01:58:45 PM »
Things that should be clear, but aren't. I don't know if its just me or not, but I love Starbucks coffee. I buy it and make it at home. I don't generally get it out all that often, but when I'm and want coffee, that's it, unless there isn't one nearby. So now you can get "stars" aka points, by purchasing their coffee from the grocery store etc., when i think prior to that, it was just purcahses in Sbucks locations.

however, their website says you must register your Sbucks card to get points, and they do use the term rewards. But to me, a reward card is something you show when you shop, for discounts, perks etc. And the Sbucks card, which i finally figured out, is basically a re-loadable gift card you put money on, and use to pay for purchases. But its not clear on their website! I'm reasonably intelligent but it took me longer than normal to figure out what they heck they were talking about!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12157 on: June 09, 2013, 02:05:40 PM »
When I started taking psychology and anthropology courses, I downloaded a list of terms and added them to the dictionary in Word. It made a major difference in how many words I have to check each time. Now I need to do it for my sociology words.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/add-words-to-your-spell-check-dictionary-HA010354289.aspx

Snooks

« Reply #12158 on: June 09, 2013, 04:08:44 PM »
Things that should be clear, but aren't. I don't know if its just me or not, but I love Starbucks coffee. I buy it and make it at home. I don't generally get it out all that often, but when I'm and want coffee, that's it, unless there isn't one nearby. So now you can get "stars" aka points, by purchasing their coffee from the grocery store etc., when i think prior to that, it was just purcahses in Sbucks locations.

however, their website says you must register your Sbucks card to get points, and they do use the term rewards. But to me, a reward card is something you show when you shop, for discounts, perks etc. And the Sbucks card, which i finally figured out, is basically a re-loadable gift card you put money on, and use to pay for purchases. But its not clear on their website! I'm reasonably intelligent but it took me longer than normal to figure out what they heck they were talking about!

Starbucks "reward" scheme drives me up the wall.  They changed it at the start of 2012 and now it's not really worth having.  I used to be able to get free syrup and free extra shots which made my favourite drinks cheaper so I didn't mind loading up a gift card to get those perks.  Now I don't get either of those because I don't buy 50 coffees in a year from them, also it's not a rolling year, I have to buy 50 coffees between 1 January and 31 December 2013 to get the perks for 2014.  There were a bunch of other perks they scrapped too - free filter coffee when you bought any of their pre-packed coffees, cheap filter coffee for card holders.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12159 on: June 09, 2013, 05:04:59 PM »
When you give someone advice on how to handle a situation, it seems like they listened and understand and agree that your suggestion is the best thing but then they don't do anything about it.

Then some time down the road you're talking and they say "Oh so and so told me (exact same advice I gave them)" and they're telling you this as though they have never heard it before. 

example (not real situation)
Friend: I don't know what to do, this coffeepot just isn't working as well
me: Well try cleaning it!
Friend: Okay!

Months later.

Friend: I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my coffeepot but my mom told me I should clean it so I did and now my Mr. Coffee is working just fine!
me: Yeah, I told you that, too.
Friend: You did?  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #12160 on: June 09, 2013, 06:25:46 PM »
That DH can pack a moving van as tight as Mae West's girdle, but cannot grasp the concept of LITTLE bowls stack into BIG bowls, not the other way around!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12161 on: June 09, 2013, 06:28:04 PM »

Starbucks "reward" scheme drives me up the wall.  They changed it at the start of 2012 and now it's not really worth having.  I used to be able to get free syrup and free extra shots which made my favourite drinks cheaper so I didn't mind loading up a gift card to get those perks.  Now I don't get either of those because I don't buy 50 coffees in a year from them, also it's not a rolling year, I have to buy 50 coffees between 1 January and 31 December 2013 to get the perks for 2014.  There were a bunch of other perks they scrapped too - free filter coffee when you bought any of their pre-packed coffees, cheap filter coffee for card holders.

Glad I'm not the only one! I figure since I buy their coffee to use at home (but at Target when its on sale) it can't hurt. Although I'm now annoyed at myself. target had a promo, buy any 4 sbucks products, get a $10 GC. I stupidly assumed it was for Target and just stuck it in my purse. Nope, it was for Sbucks. which is fine, but I might not have spent almost $45 on coffee TODAY had I read it carefully.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #12162 on: June 09, 2013, 10:01:21 PM »
The phrase "I hate to break it to you." It comes off as so smug, like you don't really 'hate' it at all.

I'm sorry you've had people use it with/around you in a snotty way. Whenever I use it, it's about serious stuff, and I usually have a serious, caring tone.

Or do you say, "I hate to have to tell you..."?

Because the "break it to you" is the part that's snottiest.

It's an either/or thing. I'll also use, "I hate to break it to you this way, but..." But whenever I use any of those constructs, I make sure that the person understands I'm not being snarky; I'll add "I'm sorry" or "That really stinks. Let me know if I can do anything to help." I'm also usually speaking to the person face-to-face, so they know I'm not being rude to them.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

TeamBhakta

« Reply #12163 on: June 09, 2013, 10:57:33 PM »
I think my nail clippers must own a time share property in Bora Bora.  Because I keep the clippers in the same spot and return them when I'm done, yet they always disappear for one year, reappear in a completely random place, and then disappear again one year later. I've resorted to tying a jingly Christmas ornament to my replacement clippers.

*ETA: It bugs me that this guy bought food to display in his fridge, just to impress potential buyers. And then threw it away:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/realestate/staging-refrigerators-for-real-estate-showings.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=realestate&
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 11:59:14 PM by TeamBhakta »

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #12164 on: June 10, 2013, 12:32:55 AM »

*ETA: It bugs me that this guy bought food to display in his fridge, just to impress potential buyers. And then threw it away:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/realestate/staging-refrigerators-for-real-estate-showings.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=realestate&

Buh? Who cares about the contents of someone's refrigerator during a real estate showing?