Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1638641 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12165 on: June 10, 2013, 07:53:01 AM »

*ETA: It bugs me that this guy bought food to display in his fridge, just to impress potential buyers. And then threw it away:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/realestate/staging-refrigerators-for-real-estate-showings.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=realestate&

Buh? Who cares about the contents of someone's refrigerator during a real estate showing?

I read that article and decided that the real estate section was short on copy for that issue.

If the refrigerator is to be part of the package, I can see checking it out to see if it's fairly clean and in good working order.  However, loading it up with all sorts of weird food to impress potential buyers is just nuts. 

magicdomino

« Reply #12166 on: June 10, 2013, 12:29:03 PM »
Clean out the mystery dish that is achieving sentience in the back?  Definitely.  But I can't see buying a bunch of food that I won't eat just to make the refrigerator look pretty.   

Okay, maybe I'd buy the really good ice cream and make sure I have name brand vodka in the freezer, just in case there is something to that subconscious aspiring thing.  But nothing that won't be eaten. 

CharlieBraun

« Reply #12167 on: June 10, 2013, 12:31:28 PM »
Clean out the mystery dish that is achieving sentience in the back?  Definitely.  But I can't see buying a bunch of food that I won't eat just to make the refrigerator look pretty.   

Okay, maybe I'd buy the really good ice cream and make sure I have name brand vodka in the freezer, just in case there is something to that subconscious aspiring thing.  But nothing that won't be eaten.

I love you.
"We ate the pies."

Girlie

« Reply #12168 on: June 10, 2013, 04:41:42 PM »
When you give someone advice on how to handle a situation, it seems like they listened and understand and agree that your suggestion is the best thing but then they don't do anything about it.

Then some time down the road you're talking and they say "Oh so and so told me (exact same advice I gave them)" and they're telling you this as though they have never heard it before. 

example (not real situation)
Friend: I don't know what to do, this coffeepot just isn't working as well
me: Well try cleaning it!
Friend: Okay!

Months later.

Friend: I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my coffeepot but my mom told me I should clean it so I did and now my Mr. Coffee is working just fine!
me: Yeah, I told you that, too.
Friend: You did?  ::)

Preach it.
My MIL is particularly bad about this, especially where it concerns anything I've said to her. It doesn't matter what it is - a good restaurant to try, advice on a subject, a new product that's come out... anything. I am given the "Oh, yeah, I'll do that," only to find that not only does she NOT do what I've suggested, but six months down the road, a)someone has either solved all of her problems for her by giving the exact same advice I offered, or b)she's discovered the restaurant/product/website/t.v. show all on her own, and now she has to share her discovery with me (like I've never heard of it before!).
It is incredibly frustrating.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #12169 on: June 10, 2013, 05:13:32 PM »
Girlie, she has a son - he's a friend of mine. It doesn't matter what he's asking about, he always has to get six-seven-eight people's input on the situation.

Let's say he wants to know if he should buy some plaid leather pants. He will ask Steve, Stan, Sarah, Stephanie, Sigurd, his mom, his dad, Stephanie again, me, and probably the mailman and the lady who grooms his dog, just to be on the safe side. Everyone will give him an opinion, usually: "Plaid leather pants aren't very versatile or flattering, you know." Then, after he's polled everyone, he will come back and say, as if a revelation had struck him from out of a clear blue sky: "Well, I was thinking about it, and it occurred to me that plaid leather pants wouldn't really be very versatile or flattering. Maybe I should stick with khakis for work."

I've started keeping a mental tally of the number of advice givers he enlists. It tends to run on the high side. </understatement>
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #12170 on: June 10, 2013, 05:54:23 PM »
When you give someone advice on how to handle a situation, it seems like they listened and understand and agree that your suggestion is the best thing but then they don't do anything about it.

Then some time down the road you're talking and they say "Oh so and so told me (exact same advice I gave them)" and they're telling you this as though they have never heard it before. 

example (not real situation)
Friend: I don't know what to do, this coffeepot just isn't working as well
me: Well try cleaning it!
Friend: Okay!

Months later.

Friend: I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my coffeepot but my mom told me I should clean it so I did and now my Mr. Coffee is working just fine!
me: Yeah, I told you that, too.
Friend: You did?  ::)

Preach it.
My MIL is particularly bad about this, especially where it concerns anything I've said to her. It doesn't matter what it is - a good restaurant to try, advice on a subject, a new product that's come out... anything. I am given the "Oh, yeah, I'll do that," only to find that not only does she NOT do what I've suggested, but six months down the road, a)someone has either solved all of her problems for her by giving the exact same advice I offered, or b)she's discovered the restaurant/product/website/t.v. show all on her own, and now she has to share her discovery with me (like I've never heard of it before!).
It is incredibly frustrating.

My brother does that with movies. I swear i was telling him about Pi for a year, and then one day he called up raving about it like it was brand new.  :P I'm pretty sure he does t on purpose now just to tease.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

GreenHall

« Reply #12171 on: June 10, 2013, 06:20:42 PM »
When I forget to order my meal without tomatoes.  My mother raised me to pull them out and continue on, but 1) it makes a mess, especially if the tomatoes are diced, and 2) it is really annoying that reality does not conform to my desires that I forget something, that I really have to do almost every time I order food out.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12172 on: June 10, 2013, 06:21:10 PM »
It wouldn't bug me so much if not for the fact that I get it from quite a few people.  My first two kids I honestly expect it from, they're preteens so that automatically means I'm clueless. But DH does it too though I don't think he realizes he does it.

So I was happy when my best friend once said "You may be right about thyroid, I'll look into it."  Finally, someone listens to advice and acknowledges that I said anything about it!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

exitzero

« Reply #12173 on: June 11, 2013, 10:52:12 AM »
When I forget to order my meal without tomatoes.  My mother raised me to pull them out and continue on, but 1) it makes a mess, especially if the tomatoes are diced, and 2) it is really annoying that reality does not conform to my desires that I forget something, that I really have to do almost every time I order food out.
For me it's celery. Why can't I remember that nearly every Chinese Restaurant meal has celery in it? I wish I had back all the time I've spent picking through my meals looking for celery.

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #12174 on: June 11, 2013, 03:34:36 PM »
Lately, I had seen two newsitems about two researches on a website. They were researches which uncovered a particular effect of breastfeeding, one being that more white matter developed in the babybrains. The text was short and neutral, just along the lines of 'researchers at place X have found effect Y'. The comment section is full of people who:
1: say something along the lines of 'ugh, those lactivists again!'
2: Say something along the lines 'my child got the bottle and is really smart now, but I guess that according the research he should be really stupid!'

Yes, I know the topic is a hotbutton issue for many, but why do people read stuff into a neutral news item that isn't there?

magicdomino

« Reply #12175 on: June 11, 2013, 03:46:09 PM »
For the same reason that comments on on-line newspaper articles always bring politics into the mix, even if the article is about baby animals at the zoo, or the weather report.  Some people are obsessed with a topic, and see it everywhere.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12176 on: June 11, 2013, 03:49:57 PM »
There is a vaccination/anti-vaccination thing on face book today. I wish the personalities could stay out of it.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #12177 on: June 11, 2013, 04:25:50 PM »
You mean besides trying to switch tabs and accidentally clicking on a link and the resulting page change EATS THE REPLY?  ARGH!

Okay, let's see how much I can recreate.  So M gets three breaks a day... two 15 minute breaks and a thirty minute lunch.  We generally like to talk during those times, but I just got off the phone after M's last break of the day, and literally the entire fifteen minutes consisted of variations on the following:

-Can you hear me?
-Hello?
-Are you there?
-CAN YOU HEAR ME?
-I think I caught some of that.
-Okay, I caught most of that.
-CAN.  YOU.  HEAR.  ME?!

It is beyond frustrating.  At first we thought it was the building M works in, but nobody else seems to have this problem, so that's not it.  Then, we thought it might have been an inferior phone, but M's newer smartphone does it too, so that's not it.  Then, we thought it might be the bluetooth earpiece, but we tried it without the earpiece and it still did it, so that's not it.  At this point, the only thing it could be is the cell carrier.  I mean, I know M works in a different state,  But you're supposed to be able to call different hemispheres with these things, aren't you?

BarensMom

« Reply #12178 on: June 11, 2013, 06:07:03 PM »
It wouldn't bug me so much if not for the fact that I get it from quite a few people.  My first two kids I honestly expect it from, they're preteens so that automatically means I'm clueless. But DH does it too though I don't think he realizes he does it.

So I was happy when my best friend once said "You may be right about thyroid, I'll look into it."  Finally, someone listens to advice and acknowledges that I said anything about it!

My DH does this all the time, and it drives me crazy.  Example:  When he smashed his fingernail and was complaining about it throbbing, I told him, "we'll have to heat a needle and poke a hole in the nail."  Of course, he pooh-poohed  and refused to let me do it.  A few hours later, we went to get our taxes done and the preparer told him, "you'll need to heat a needle and poke a hole in your nail."  Guess what he did when we got home?

veronaz

« Reply #12179 on: June 11, 2013, 06:50:31 PM »
Re:  Ending a sentence with “lol”, it’s a fake ‘laugh’ and also a common tactic used by people who are trying to appear nonchalant.  ("Look, I typed “lol”.  That shows I’m not upset or even slightly bothered by (whatever)”  )   Yeah.  Sure.  Nice try.   ::)
Pathetic.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 06:52:15 PM by veronaz »